Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need an app that breaks down disk usage by directory.

I had an app a long time ago (Win95 era) that would simply add a percentage number to every folder displayed in Win Explorer. So, if you were looking at the root dir of your HDD, you would see which sub folder was holding the most data. Open up that folder and it would break down the contents of that folder by percentages. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone is using anything like this and can recommend it before I start searching Downloads.com for this type of app...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Re: Need an app that breaks down disk usage by directory.

Hey Cing PM HavokAI he may know what and where, to get something like that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Need an app that breaks down disk usage by directory.

Well, I found http://www.diskview.com/ and it does what I want, but it's only got a free trial. If anyone knows about a completely free version of software like this, post it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well what are you looking to do with it - It is is only for seeing where your disk space has gone I may have something that I wrote to do it. If you are looking for additional functions it probably doesn't have it.

PM me if you have any questions.

Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lt_bob
    Well what are you looking to do with it - It is is only for seeing where your disk space has gone I may have something that I wrote to do it. If you are looking for additional functions it probably doesn't have it.

PM me if you have any questions.

Bob
    Well, I'm just looking to see where my disk space is being used. For instance, using this DiskView trial, it shows me that Program Files and My Documents are each using about 40% of my disk. Opening up My Documents, I see that My Music is using 33% of My Documents, My Pr0n is using 60% of My Documents, and My Pictures is using 6% of My Documents. This easily allows me to track down where exactly my disk space is being used...

That's all I want. This DiskView program lets you do reports and other silly stuff, but I just want to see which folders are using the most space...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Cing,

I am almost ready to send the program (been working furiuosly to improve it / make it somewhat helpfull. The first thing you will need the the Curl Surge plugin. You can get it from:

Curl Download page

This is where I work so trust it as you would me (bwaaahaahaahaahaa) . You can download one of two things - the RTE - the plugin that allows you to run applets OR the IDE that allows you to edit / develop applets. I am will be sending the source code which you can edit in any old editor (cough notepad cough) and run changed versions so the IDE is redundant unless you want to pick up programming - in which case the documentaiton is essential.

The actual applet I will send / post along with direction on how to use.

Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

holy crap.... go bob.... hey, I want an app..... make me one too...... cing you lucky mofo. you got a prog written just for you. Lt bob is the freakin man.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lt_bob
    I am almost ready to send the program (been working furiuosly to improve it / make it somewhat helpfull.
    Wow! Very cool. I don't know anything at all about programming, and, umm, don't really have much interest in it... I rely on smarter people than I to do the hard part... Thanks a lot! I'm looking forward to this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cing,

I wrote it for myself some time ago - but the UI was something only a programmer (or Apo?) could love.

Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright v0.9 is available.

You need to have the Curl Browser Pluggin installed

file-size

Some notes:

You need to copy unzip the file file-size.curl to your hard drive. (do your self a favor and copy the Path to the clipboard.

Browse to the file-size.curl file in Wnidows Explorer and Double CLick on it OR browse from with in Internet Explorer.

When you run it the first time it will tell you that you need privilege.

Double click on the S icon in your system tray.

Click on Privileged Locations tab

Click on the arrow next to this computer.

Click on the add Privileged Directory.

Paste the directory fro the clip board or enter it (remember spaces)

OK

Reload the page with the applet (or Browse to it again)

NOTES:

The first it want you to do is pick a directory to start in. On my laptop it takes 800+ seconds (13 minutes) to read the entire hard drive (30GB - slow HD) My Home machine takes about 130 Seconds for 28GB. YMMV. I would start with a sibdirectory somewhere to get a feel for it before doing anything real big.

Progress will show on the bottom of the screen - number of files/directories visited, time elapsed and the current directory.

When it has finished scanning the disk it will present you with a display that has three panes. The top pane has filters that let you narrow down the number of diectories you are looking at in the record grid in the second pane. The more there are the slower it will be to refresh. HAving the Auto mode for File updates on can be real painfull so I usually leave it off.

The file size and level filters are fairly strait forward. Enter a lower limit and or a upper limit and only directories that meet that criteria will be shown.

The include filter on the right is very powerfull but not as clear. When it starts it shows you the the directory you selected on startup with a checked box. If you uncheck this it will show no directories. The key is to have it checked, Highlight several of the directories that you are interested in (click just to the left of the grid (where the row number would be in excel) to highlight a row. Shift Clicks will select many between clicks and Ctrl Click will let you pick multiples.

For exampe click next to C:\Program Files and C:\Pr0n by holding the Ctrl key down and clicking next to each of these.

Click on the Add to Include button.

You can now click on the C:\ entry and all the directories except for Program Files and Pr0n will go away.

The bottom pane shows files. Normally you will click on the Get Files button and it will display the files for the highlighted directories in the middle pane. the include Subdirectories check box will include files in subdirectories as well as those in the current directory.

The auto check button allows the files display to be updated as you click on the directory in the second pane but it may take it a couple of seconds to update and this can be painfull - next update (if ever) could get a performance boost in this.

Most operation put Working in the Elapsed time box and then report how long they took.

Have fun

Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very cool! I'm not going to be able to try it out tonight, but I'll let you know once I get it working... Thanks a lot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ooh, necromancy FTW. I don't think I ever got Bob's program to work for me, but just yesterday I came across this incredibly useful program: http://windirstat.info/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are some very good free programs that do this, as I've used several. I can't remember the name though now. At least I can assure you that they exist. All you need is good group-name for this kind of program and google it with "top 10" or something added. This strategy usually finds me quite nifty and totally free software.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A long time ago I wrote a program to do this for myself on OS/2, and ported it later to Windows. It's command line, named du (disk usage) after the similar Program on *nix. It shows disk usage for a directory and all its children, and also the usage for just the files in the current directory, not including child directories.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sequoia View? Not an integrated percentage thing, but it's pretty to look at.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast