Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oprah's car giveaway

Anyone catch the news about Oprah's newest season where she gave away Pontiac cars?

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,14915,00.html

[qutoe]Gifting her audience with cars wasn't the only act of generosity Winfrey performed in her opener. In another segment on the show[/quote]

This article though fails to mention that Oprah wasn't the one that was giving the cars to the members in the audience. GM was the one that gave Oprah the cars to hand out as part of an advertising scheme.

I heard that on the news shows the next day, she took sole claim for the cars being handed out. Talk about taking undue credit..

http://money.cnn.com/2004/09/14/news...oprah_gm.reut/

The $7 million giveaway, courtesy of GM (GM: Research, Estimates), kicks off a $50 million marketing and advertising campaign for the new car over the next four months, said Jim Bunnell, general manager of the Pontiac-GMC brands.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Oprah's car giveaway

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie
    I heard that on the news shows the next day, she took sole claim for the cars being handed out. Talk about taking undue credit..
    She sold GM a service that they couldn't have bought anywhere else (or so their actions would have us believe they think). I've read that those in the know don't think GM could have gotten the kind of national (international?) publicity they got for less than $7m, the cost of the cars (before customizations, which I understand GM will also be funding? -- this changes nothing of my point).

Cars come easy. Name recognition and brand credibility, two things that Oprah's selling, don't.

GM had the cars to give away before Oprah's staffers first presented the idea to GM. Ask the people behind the wheel who they're thanking most. There's something to be said for making something happen.

All that having been said, I get your point.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a matter of fact, I'm not sure it's so unreasonable to consider the scenario from this angle:

She sold her name recognition and brand credibility to GM in exchange for the cars, which then became hers to do with as she pleased. She uses the cars to create an event that promotes her brand while GM users her event and brand to promote their $50m marketing and advertising campaign.

I'm not suggesting that's how the legalities went down, but when the dust settles, that doesn't seem like such an unfair interpretation of events.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oprah got where she is by being smart with her money in ways like this. She'll by dresses from Daytons (now Marshall Fields) then return them after wearing them once. However, Daytons allows this just to say "Oprah shops here". By having such name recognition, things come easy and free. Or at least easy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh I agree, name brand is a hot commodity and she deserves some of the credit for the car giveaway (as GM probably wouldn't do this for some low ratings talk host)...however, when she comes off as taken all of the credit or news outlets seem to forget that it was because of GM's generosity that made this happen, then it gets me a little pissed off.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You mean Lisa Ling and The View aren't getting 270 Pontiacs next week?

lmao

Yeah, I get your point. At the same time, it does seem ... somewhat.. not completely... foreign to me to associate this with generosity. It seems fair to say that the amount of credit that Oprah took unduely is similar in weight to the amount of influence that generosity had in motivating GM to give Oprah the cars. If GM was concerned first about these people, they didn't need Oprah to make it happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyzcrak
    Yeah, I get your point. At the same time, it does seem ... somewhat.. not completely... foreign to me to associate this with generosity. It seems fair to say that the amount of credit that Oprah took unduely is similar in weight to the amount of influence that generosity had in motivating GM to give Oprah the cars. If GM was concerned first about these people, they didn't need Oprah to make it happen.
    True, but GM did admit at the get go that this is part of a massive advertising campaign. Even then, they didn't have to give Oprah free cars to give to members of her audience. While this is helping GM, GM's generosity and williness to take a gamble on this type of advertising really help Oprah's latest season to start out with a bang and it reinforces Oprah's image as being helpful and generous to people, even if this didn't cost her a cent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mom saw this, and i was eating when she was, so natuarally, i was watching this. I told her she should have been there so i could have gotten a new car :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do you have a cartoon gif of a weird catdude grabbing his own breast in front of a monster?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality
    Why do you have a cartoon gif of a weird catdude grabbing his own breast in front of a monster?
    1. He's cracking his knuckles.
    2. He's a dog demon, although for some reason the Japanesse think all dog ears look like a chiuauas.
    3. Oprah is the devil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyzcrak
    As a matter of fact, I'm not sure it's so unreasonable to consider the scenario from this angle:

She sold her name recognition and brand credibility to GM in exchange for the cars, which then became hers to do with as she pleased. She uses the cars to create an event that promotes her brand while GM users her event and brand to promote their $50m marketing and advertising campaign.

I'm not suggesting that's how the legalities went down, but when the dust settles, that doesn't seem like such an unfair interpretation of events.

I dont see why not, you help the corp, corp helps u , and you help the people. I seriously doubt it GM is solely responsible for giving out cars, highly doubt it, GM was there for 100 years, never seen this before, and if it had happen before you would definatly heard of it.

Its all Oprah on this one, if it cost her money or didnt dont matter, she makes what a few hundred mill a year or something crazy number like that(read it in forbes i think), she can buy it once for the people.

Look how it has affected everyone, I even see the thread on TG site. I saw this show, then heared about it on leno and letterman and JOn stewart, her ratings probably jumped , which in respect probably justified the cost heh , well in long term for sure,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality
    dog demon :P inuyasha

he is cracking his knucles... his hand is about.. 1-2 feet away from him actually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator
    Its all Oprah on this one, if it cost her money or didnt dont matter, she makes what a few hundred mill a year or something crazy number like that(read it in forbes i think), she can buy it once for the people.
    It didn't cost her a single cent so GM deserves as much credit for this car giveaway as Oprah gets for it.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It didn't cost her a single cent
    What about opportunity cost?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It didn't cost her a single cent so GM deserves as much credit for this car giveaway as Oprah gets for it.

well GM did not just give out 100 cars for nothing, thats not how this copany became the largest car maker on the planet.

Im sure one way or another it cost Oprah something, perhaps not money wise but something else, free comercial nation wide of GM on the show that is watched by millions. Now how much would that cost GM to get that ad compaign going on their own? millions.

No such thing as free stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast