User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC-style jumping? something different?

Ok, so....

... bunnyhopping is part of the game. Not a hack. Not a script. Not an elite trick. It's part of the game.. a skill you should learn no more begrudgingly than when you learn when, why, and how to lay down webs against incoming heavy armor marines.

As those of you who attended this week's seminar understand, bunnyhopping requires three skills: jump timing, mouse movement, and holding your +duck bind (unless you're a gorge).

Now.... some who support bunnyhopping have said that NS shouldn't require players to time their jumps. If that's the case, how should the player perform bunnyhopping?

Should they simply be able to hold down their jump bind and have the jumping performed automagically?

Should they have to press the jump bind once per jump, but pressing the bind anytime before you hit the ground would guarantee another perfectly-timed jump?

Should they have to be holding their jump bind when they touch the ground, but they must release it and re-hold it before pressing the ground to guarantee another perfectly-timed jump?

Please provide reasons for your response.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: TFC-style jumping? something different?

Timing is a very important part of the game. Be it bunnyhopping, dropping ninja-phase gates, waiting until multiple sieges are up to scan, laying webs, reserving adreneline, dropping other buildings....shooting. You don't just shoot at a wall at marine spawn because its in the general direction of a hive...you wait until theres an alien that you can actually physically shoot at.

Timing is here to stay, and should apply to such things, because they simply make no sense without it. Bunnyhopping requires jumping, and you can't just jump in the middle of the air because it makes no sense. Plus theres at least two readily accepted aids to bunnyhopping (mwheel, 3jump). Timed jumping is as much of a *basic* mechanic of bunnyhopping, as not shooting at a wall with no aliens around is to firing a gun.
    --T3C[]-[]N0 []v[]UFF1N

The vending machine originated in Egypt in 215 B.C. Learn somethin new everyday, dontcha?

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lordflametide
    theres at least two readily accepted aids to bunnyhopping (mwheel, 3jump). Timed jumping is as much of a *basic* mechanic of bunnyhopping, as not shooting at a wall with no aliens around is to firing a gun.
    Those aren't aids to bunnyhopping.. they're requirements. Timed jumping is a basic mechanic of bunnyhopping. It shouldn't require a third-party workaround to perform; the ability to successfully time the jumps should be built into the game's install, and it presently isn't.

The point of this thread is not to discuss the merits of changing the timing requirement. The point of this thread is to discuss how to change it if it were to change.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would be nice to have it setup in a fashion which would guarantee a succesful hop if a jump was executed in midair prior to landing. Although I don't see such a change happening, it would a) make it easier to learn b) make current bhoppers more effective c) make those with poor aim cry more often.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wyzcrak
    Those aren't aids to bunnyhopping.. they're requirements.
    All the same, they're readily available, and accepted anywhere bunnyhopping is.

If it did indeed change, I'd allow no more than another half-second (probably less) to put the hop in, on the ground. Allowing the jump to happen anytime you damn well please is just rediculous.
    --T3C[]-[]N0 []v[]UFF1N

The vending machine originated in Egypt in 215 B.C. Learn somethin new everyday, dontcha?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not believe bunny-hopping should be made any easier in anyway. While it might not be an "elite trick" like you said, it is more than something that everyone should have free access to without putting forth any effort. Just like many other things in the game, it requires practice and some sense of skill to be able to do correctly. It's also not a skill that is technically "required" to win, which would make it almost akin to the want to dumb down other aspects of the game like putting in some sort of basic auto-aim. "Oh, just point in the general direction and we'll help you hit the rest", is very similiar to "Oh, just hold down jump and we'll take care of the bunny-hopping". It takes out a competitive skill aspect that does help seperate the skilled players from the non-skilled players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Kruegar
    It takes out a competitive skill aspect that does help seperate the skilled players from the non-skilled players.
    Before Wyz gets to this....

I would like to state that competition is a VERY important aspect of any game. Skill defines who is better, and thus who wins and loses (balance issues aside), which is the very basic aspect that all games are built upon, and as such, should not be tossed aside as "Well from a common player 'fun' point of view..."

Just a note ^^
    --T3C[]-[]N0 []v[]UFF1N

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you're bunnyhopping at any sort of impressive speed, you're not in the air for a full second, which means you're already timing things within half a second, right? Wouldn't it be nice to be able to do that without having to use a script or a mousewheel?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not really, no.
    --T3C[]-[]N0 []v[]UFF1N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyzcrak
    When you're bunnyhopping at any sort of impressive speed, you're not in the air for a full second, which means you're already timing things within half a second, right? Wouldn't it be nice to be able to do that without having to use a script or a mousewheel?
    Yeah, it is nice being able to do it without a script or mousewheel. It just takes a little practice...it's not an overly hard concept to really get and get good at, if you just dedicate yourself to actually learning how to do it. I seem to recall quite a few people mentioning they're already getting better at it after the 2 hours or whatever it was of the bunny-hopping session that Adj did the other night.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Krueger
    Yeah, it is nice being able to do it without a script or mousewheel.
    It's not presently possible without the script or mousewheel, though. That's the problem.

Emanon

Its very doable with out scripts or mouse wheel. Just takes a little getting use to. Hell this is how I did it back in CS 1.3 when I didnt know about scripts and didnt have a wheel.

Keep the skill in the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not presently possible without the script or mousewheel, though. That's the problem.
    Really? Heh, I seem to be able to bunny-hop just fine without either.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What ground speed can you guys hit (and maintain) as a bunnyhopping skulk without using a script or mousewheel?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What ground speed can you guys hit (and maintain) as a bunnyhopping skulk without using a script or mousewheel?
    Faster than normal? :P I haven't attempted to gauge exactly how much faster I go beyond the fact that I do go faster.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast