Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Thread: PC Problems....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PC Problems....

My pc has begun to lock up lately during the windows loading screen (win xp). No hardware changes, and only software changes lately have been some games. I don't really know what could be causing this.

I tried system roll backs to several dates and it did not help. I ran check disk and adaware and the problem is still there.

Only thing I can think of is perhaps overheating. However its kind of weird that it freezes on window loading screen. The weird thing is that sometimes it loads fine after a reset or comp boot up and sometimes it freezes.

Any software out there or other scans/tests you would suggest. Perhaps this is a sign to finally format and start fresh on this monster :P.

I will see if the problem persists tomorrow and maybe try a couple more things. Its running ok right now after a succesful boot, this is getting on my nerves .

Thanks.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: PC Problems....

I use to have the exact same problem, seemed to come out of nowhere, no hardware changes or even driver changes in a while. You might try removing hardware one by one and booting over and over, if you can generally get it to freeze consistantly(like it always freezes once every 3 boots or so). I did that, and figured out it was something real screwy with my Audigy1. It's a pain in the ass to do, but...besides doing all the standard update drivers and pray, it does work.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Krueger
    it was something real screwy with my Audigy1
    I took special note of this, as "during the Windows load screen" is when my machine turns on the speakers in my headphones (and presumably loads sound hardware/drivers). Knowing very little about these things, I would be suspicious of my sound hardware.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have a Creative soundcard, I'd definately say check that first. I've found the little buggers like to cause problems in the most unlikely of times. Stupid things...and yet, I still buy them...

/em wanders off grumbling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It could very well be sound. I had a problem with the sound card drivers before (its some onboard crud, installed new ones and comp had issues so had to roll them back).

Ill play with it tomorrow in the morning when my temper is less likely to cause me to harm my computer further .

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might want to try installing a new sound card. They are all not that expensive and wiil go a long way to improving your sound...make sure that if you install a new card, go into your device manager and disable the onboard sound so that there are no conflicts.

Hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So just for teh hell of it I kept my computer off for the night (first time in a VERY long time , hardware is cool for once wow). Anyway just booted 8 times succesfully without a problem.

I will see if the problem persists today, grrrrr. If it does I think I have an old sb card laying around somewhere I can try.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm