Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FCC proposes record fine against Fox for indecency

http://www.sbcbaptistpress.org/bpnews.asp?ID=19341
    ---------------------
    FCC proposes record fine against Fox for indecency
    Oct 13, 2004
    By Staff

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (BP)--The Federal Communications Commission has proposed a record total of $1.2 million in fines against 169 Fox Television Network affiliates for airing indecent material during an episode of the reality program "Married by America."
    [.....]
    During the six-minute segment, various sexual acts involving strippers were depicted. Fox defended the segment by saying all nudity was pixilated, but the FCC said "even a child would have known that the strippers were topless and that sexual activity was being shown."

The FCC received 159 complaints in response to the show, and the government agency voted 5-0 in favor of fining the stations. The report called the material "gratuitous, vulgar, and clearly intended to pander to and titillate."
    ---------------------

THIS scares me. 159 complaints across the nation (reacting to PIXELATED actions) adds up to 1.2 million smackeroos.

Imagine the impact: bleeping and such suddenly don't matter anymore, because now, INTENT is the yardstick being measured against. A complaints numbering fewer than those working on the same floor as me in my office found the INTENT offensive enough to complain, and the FCC unanimously votes for slap the biggest fine in history.

NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: FCC proposes record fine against Fox for indecency

Downright frightening...

I am lost, if you know where I am then please feel free to tell me.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont people have better things to do? Seriously?

Thats why I say the FCC is bull****. They dont have a set list of rules, its whatever they want to file action against they will. I bet you any amount of money, I can file a complaint against Mr. Rogers and he would get fined.

freedom my ass...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm kind of playing devil's advocate here, because I think I need to see the full unedited version in order to form an accurate opinion, so any links would be appreciated.

The difficulty of defining obscenity was summarized by Justice Stewart of the Supreme Court when he said: "I know it when I see it." He was referring to the difficulty of defining what is obscene and what is not.

Like so much of our justice system, it is left to a yardstick of what a reasonable person would call obscene. Just because you have a different yardstick than the rest of the country doesn't mean your freedom is being opressed.
    New to TG? Start here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

different yardstick than the rest of the country
    159 people is not the "rest of the country". It's an insignificant number. If the FCC were interested in truly representing the wishes of the public the standard would be a percentage of a show's viewing audience. Something over 50%.

Personally, I don't want 159 conservative nut jobs deciding what I get to see on TV for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wickerman
    159 people is not the "rest of the country". It's an insignificant number. If the FCC were interested in truly representing the wishes of the public the standard would be a percentage of a show's viewing audience. Something over 50%.

Personally, I don't want 159 conservative nut jobs deciding what I get to see on TV for me.
    Notice, this was not 159 people... it was 159 complaints. As the article mentions that a citizen's group was one of the complaints, I feel the need to make that clear.

That isn't to say that the other 158 WEREN'T regular joes, but the distinction is important. For example, if the AARP lodges a complaint against something, the weight of almost 36 million seniors is behind it.

NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to mention it could of been 159 people or one person filing all those complaints.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still, a percentage of a show's viewing audience is a much more compelling statistic.
    159 complaints representing 75% of viewers" actually means something. "159 complaints" with no additional information about the complainers and how they represent the audience means nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally agree wicker. But the FCC doesnt take that type of statistic. From what I have read from various places, its really easy to file a complaint with them and its just as easy to file multi-complaints with them for the same show since they dont take down your personal information. So what I am saying is, those 159 complaints could all be the same person bitching about the same thing.

I find it really funny that the intent is now a factor in whether or not something is found to be indecent.

The funniest thing about this has to be when all those Stern fans were complaining about an episode of Oprah. The FCC never released how many people complained about her show (it read some where it was in the millions), yet nothing got done about it. Dont you just love the hypocrisy in this country?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wickerman

If there were 159 liberal nut jobs calling them telling them they oppose the fines you might have a chance.
    New to TG? Start here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by _Ender_
    Dont people have better things to do? Seriously?
    Sadly no. I mean, why else would they be watching FOX in the first place? Seriously though, you can change the channel. Like last light while watcing the presidential debate I got aggravated for...reasons so switched to South Park. And that debate was on almost every channel. Did I get all pissy and lodge a complaint? No.

Look America, I hate these sleezy reality T.V. shows too. So, I don't watch them. Maybe if all the other stay-at-home moms did the same the ratings would go down and they'd stop making them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just hope Fox will promise some record indecency.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If there were 159 liberal nut jobs calling them telling them they oppose the fines you might have a chance.
    Not a chance. The liberals wouldn't stand a chance of being listened to.