User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVD codecs....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DVD codecs....

Ok, my sister purchased a dvd R/RW. Now, it isn't reading a dvd which has her wedding material on it (reads regular dvds fine). It works fine on the 3 or 4 different types of dvd players we have around the house.

However on the computer I haven't been able to get it to play. WOndering if there is software and/or codecs you would recommend I try. Currently I ahve tried the Windvd and PowerDVD trials, neither managed to play it succesfully.

Of course this could be because they baught an older crappy dvd :P. I don't really have time to play with/check this till the weekend so suggestions are welcome till then.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Polska; 10-21-2004 at 12:32 AM.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: DVD codecs....

Maybe it was a + trying to read a - or vice versa?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have found that a lot of older dvd players refuse to read the +r and most dvd burners that are - only will not read a +. the other way seems to not be the case however. a + will read a -. commercial dvd players will balk at a + way more often than a -, so it seems that you have a - dvd. does the computer see the files on the disk?
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by =DdogG=
    I have found that a lot of older dvd players refuse to read the +r and most dvd burners that are - only will not read a +. the other way seems to not be the case however. a + will read a -. commercial dvd players will balk at a + way more often than a -, so it seems that you have a - dvd. does the computer see the files on the disk?
    The files do not show up. It reads the dvd as an empty one. I have not checked into the dvds capabilities as far as +- (don't know much about that in general). Hopefully I can tomorrow sometime, thanks.

Is there a way (perhaps software) that will tell you informaiton about a particular dvd (ie. +r -r even if you are not able to read it properly).

PS - kind of ironic she buys burner to make copies of her wedding dvd and it doesn't read it haha.
    Last edited by Polska; 10-21-2004 at 02:39 PM.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what cing said , also similar thing happens to cdrs, if u burn once on a cd and then again, the 2nd thing u burn is not on the cd when u view it, it records in sessions, meaning when u burn once and eject the cd, 1st session is closed.

Only the drive that made the original recording will show all the recorded sessions, files/folders

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does she have ASPI installed? There is a little program called aspichk.exe or something very similar to ensure it is. Not sure if this is too blatantly obvious or an oversight but my DVD/RW wouldn't work without it on my new system also. HTH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok.....lol.....

So I was browsing some forums looking for pussible soluitons or enlightenment. Then I started Intervideo Windvd and it recognized the disc this time.....

It now shows teh files on the disc. As far as I know I didn't modify anything that might have made it work (although I am running on no sleep so I don't know what im doing half the time).

Seems to be working ok now.

I will now attempt a burn and see how it goes .

Maybe the fact I unplugged the drive yesterday to plug in an old cd burner (then later reataching the dvd burner) did it some good. Perhaps something didn't go quite right the first time around.

EDIT: Ugh now the drive has decided not to read the dvd. I don't know whats going on. The drive clearly has the capability to read the data since it did earlier today. .
    Last edited by Polska; 10-22-2004 at 01:50 PM.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok....

The model of this frive is BENQ DVD DD DW1620 (according to device manager). From what I have read around osme random forums it does not read DVD-R.

Now, a utility that came with the drive dipalys teh Book Type of the DVD I want to run as... yep DVD-R.

If the above 2 statements are true guess that is the problem. However on 2 seperate occasions the drive read the data fine (showed up in explorer and dvd ran in windvd 6).

So, as a result I am still confused .

There seems to be a firmware update on the site, not sure whether I should try it or not.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to DVDINFOPRO the dvd has DVD-R read capability. I feel like I should stop searching for a possible solution and bring out the hammer.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have gotten the wedding dvd to work twice by simply ejecting and closing the tray aobut 25 times. I have no idea whats going on. Most of the time the cd is shown as blank, sometimes it actually shows the dat aand works.

Perhaps something is wrong with the disk (alhtough it always works fine in dvd players). Maybe the dvd drive has problems reading dvds (although scarface and some polish movie have worked fine everytime).

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a dvd-r is what a profesional dvd is closest to, so when it reads it once in a while, it could just be seeing it as a real dvd for that one time... I suggest 1) getting it to read the data 2) pulling the audio_ts and video_ts to the hard drive. 3) burn a copy on a +r for you. 4) get a drive that will read and write + and - media. they are only 40 bucks or so now... you will need to burn -r's for stand alone dvd players.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, another issue.

It seem that the burner only reads/wrties at 1x....
    I tried Nero 6 and Roxio Easy Media Creator 7. The discs I burned took about 40 minutes each at this pace. In nero even though I had 4X selected it was still burning at a slower rate.

The discs I was using were 8X and the drive itself should be able to go faster. Any idea what may be causing this? Maybe the drive is defective, or its some kind of driver issue.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Polska
    Ok, another issue.

It seem that the burner only reads/wrties at 1x....
    I tried Nero 6 and Roxio Easy Media Creator 7. The discs I burned took about 40 minutes each at this pace. In nero even though I had 4X selected it was still burning at a slower rate.

The discs I was using were 8X and the drive itself should be able to go faster. Any idea what may be causing this? Maybe the drive is defective, or its some kind of driver issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by deranger
    Does she have ASPI installed? There is a little program called aspichk.exe or something very similar to ensure it is. Not sure if this is too blatantly obvious or an oversight but my DVD/RW wouldn't work without it on my new system also. HTH
    At least 10 characters....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes did have ASPI drivers. Updated to newest ones yesterday, issue remains.

edit: aspichk said "ASPI is not properly isntalled. One or more of the files ahve been repalced with previous versions." hrm interesting
    Last edited by Polska; 10-24-2004 at 08:13 PM.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you please point me to reliable xp ASPI drivers .

Heres whats currently on here in case you are isnterested. Currently I have inconsistent version numbers between the 4 files.

LOG0143: ************************************************** ***************
    LOG0144: Starting ASPICHK installer on Sun Oct 24 20:49:37 2004
    ASPICHK0438: OS = Windows NT (5.01.2600)
    UPGRADE1004: c:\windows\system32\wnaspi32.dll dated 07/17/2002 13:20:56, 45056 bytes.
    UPGRADE1062: c:\windows\system32\wnaspi32.dll version 4.71.2.0
    UPGRADE1004: c:\windows\system\winaspi.dll dated 04/19/2001 21:34:44, 5600 bytes.
    UPGRADE1062: c:\windows\system\winaspi.dll version 4.6.0.1021
    UPGRADE1004: c:\windows\system32\drivers\aspi32.sys dated 07/17/2002 12:53:02, 16877 bytes.
    UPGRADE1062: c:\windows\system32\drivers\aspi32.sys version 4.71.2.0
    UPGRADE1004: c:\windows\system\wowpost.exe dated 04/19/2001 21:34:50, 4672 bytes.
    UPGRADE1062: c:\windows\system\wowpost.exe version 4.6.0.1021
    ASPICHK0522: Inconsistent version numbers among components
    ASPICHK0592: ASPI installation has problems
    LOG0218: Closing installer log on Sun Oct 24 20:49:37 2004
    LOG0219: ************************************************** ***************

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast