Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts on the server

I have enjoyed playing on the server the past couple of nights.. However, there is one thing that really should be changed, and that is the max players.

Right now it is 28, and quite frankly, the server just can't handle it. And even if it could, I don't think we would want that many playing at the same time. With too many players, the game just becomes a fragfest, as there are only so many strategic locations to position yourself in. Also, the more players there are, the more likely that one (or more) of them is just going to Rambo off and play beyond the boundaries that they should be playing.

I suggest the server be capped at 16-20 players. 8-10 per side is more than enough players for good battles, and is hopefully few enough to cut down on the chaos.

Anybody else with thoughts on this?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Thoughts on the server

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus
    I have enjoyed playing on the server the past couple of nights.. However, there is one thing that really should be changed, and that is the max players.

Right now it is 28, and quite frankly, the server just can't handle it. And even if it could, I don't think we would want that many playing at the same time. With too many players, the game just becomes a fragfest, as there are only so many strategic locations to position yourself in. Also, the more players there are, the more likely that one (or more) of them is just going to Rambo off and play beyond the boundaries that they should be playing.

I suggest the server be capped at 16-20 players. 8-10 per side is more than enough players for good battles, and is hopefully few enough to cut down on the chaos.

Anybody else with thoughts on this?
    Good call.. I'm going to be making a lot of changes today to the config files, this will be one of them.. 28 players is a little crazy for the small maps we have in CS..

Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

43452045524748454146204742204754202d204642424121

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for voicing this Tempus, and thank you Apophis for agreeing.

I recommend 8v8, but that's biased and based on the fact that we use that count on the NS server. 8v8 makes for plenty of people for crazy action while maintaining (what we've found to be the upper capacity of) teamwork bond and realtime strategic planning.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10v10 is what I've always thought the upper limit for the number of players should be in CS. And even that feels to be a bit too much on a few maps. 6v6 to 8v8 usually is just right for most maps, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could we have a longer period at the start of each game also, I forget what its actually called, perhaps 10 seconds or so. Time for old men to load up and take a deep breath... Just an idea to help slow things down just a tad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeRanger
    Could we have a longer period at the start of each game also, I forget what its actually called, perhaps 10 seconds or so. Time for old men to load up and take a deep breath... Just an idea to help slow things down just a tad.
    I would like this, too. I need to figure out if the old buy scripts will work with Source... I find that I'm the only one left in the spawn after I'm done buying all my stuff.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was bitching from the pubs when we upped the time before each round on the NS map. In time, however, it's proven to be very useful for teams to discuss their plans for the round.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeRanger
    Consider it done..

Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

43452045524748454146204742204754202d204642424121

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe the player limit can be changed on the fly? or does it need restarting for that?

for instance 14vs14 of TG vets would be fine.....because the vets know not to all go in at once, or that you can have two squads of 7... although DOD maps are better with "squad" style really.

dust however is 6v6 max though, far to small for 14vs14
    From Adam Webb