Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

binding rcon say messages in CS Source server

The following information is targeted to administrators of CS:Source servers with RCON rights.

Below is a typical admin bind when using HLDS:

bind "x" "rcon say Play the objective."

You press the "x" key and the message appears on the screen as said by the server.

However, in a CS:Source server, something similar to the following appears:

"Play" "the" "objective.

I'm ignorant of a technical explanation of this, but a practical one is that the bind doesn't like the spaces in your message. So, you need to remove the spaces. Simple enough, except that Play_the_objective looks amateur.

Replace the spaces within your message with an ALT code: ALT-0160, to be precise.

Re-type your bind in the console. As you type your message, do the following anytime you would have pressed the spacebar, INSTEAD of pressing the spacebar:

hold down your ALT key and press (I use the numeric keypad on the left) the following numeric sequence: 0160. This will put a space in the message (actually a "blank character" -- identical in appearance to you and me but the CS:S console doesn't recognize it as a space).

(you do this for every space after 'say' in the bind, not including the space between 'say' and the first word of your message)

The following will now appear on the screen when you use the bind:

Console: Play the objective.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: binding rcon say messages in CS Source server

HLSW beta36 fails for some users attempting to join the server.

HLSW beta36 also is bugged in its implementation of CheatingDeath management.

HLSW doesn't help you if you're in game, managing the unenlightened and soon departed.

I use HLSW beta32 presently, as it is the most stable distribution for my needs.

It's a fine product, but beta is only the beginning when it comes to some builds.

If you're going to stay on the bleeding edge of HLSW releases, keep installation files for your old versions. It might prove handy.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have tried the Alt-0160 in my config, and it does look to be a space there; however, when I try it in-game, all of the text comes out together, with no spacing.

I am sure there is something I am missing.. Any ideas? Here is an example:

bind "[" "rcon say THIS IS AN OBJECTIVE BASED SERVER. DEFENSIVE TEAM MUST PLAY DEFENSE."

comes out as THISISANOBJECTIVEBASEDSERVER.DEFENSIVETEAMMUSTPLAY DEFENSE.

And eternal, we are talking only about binds. In-game, you can type the message without the keycodes and it works fine.

edit: The copy and past of the Alt-0160 posts as *'s.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not tried developer. I don't even know if it exists in CS:S.

Tempus, I created the binds within the client, not by editing my config file. Beyond that, I'm not sure what to tell you.

And yes, eternal, you misunderstood. The process I explained is necessary only once: to create the bind. I've issued these binds hundreds of times. Ain't no way HLSW (alt-tabbed or otherwise) is faster.

Thank you for your contributions, nonetheless, as someone in another situation may find your offering preferable.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder, then, what magical mind-reading power Tempus possesses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eternal
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyzcrak
    And yes, eternal, you misunderstood. The process I explained is necessary only once: to create the bind. I've issued these binds hundreds of times. Ain't no way HLSW (alt-tabbed or otherwise) is faster.
    I didn't misunderstand, you never said that was the case.
    Umm, what is this thread about???