Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

amd 64 fan set up

OKay, i've finally gotten all my pieces together after fedex misdelievered my case.. grr (should of used DHL!) [stupid dhl is going to take over the world]
    ok anyways, so i've installed my PS, mobo, cpu into the case and got to the fan. The fan i got is pretty scary.. its huge! Well first off, any suggestions about the thermal compound stuff.. i did not apply it last time i built my machine, so suggestions how to?
    Second, i got this fan, if anyone else has it.. does it matter which side the lock is on? (i guess any amd64 person could answer that) i mean i just sort of put it on and played with it and it didnt seem to make a difference to me.
    also, any tips for apply the fan? besides the instructions.

Ok, but my real question is that the fan i purchased has 3 different features.
    1) It can run at full speed (5500rpm)
    2) Temperature control, fan speed auto. I put a sensor on the bottum of the heatsink and i guesss it tells the fan how fast to go.
    3) Manual speed control 2000 - 5500 rpm. I then install a speed controller on the outside of the case and i change the speed.

I was wondering what would be the best. I was thinking about staying away from number 3 because i probably dont know what speed i should set the fan at, and would probably like to stay away from that situation. If anyone uses this fan, or one like it, which feature did you use?
    thanks.
    jack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: amd 64 fan set up

I'm not familiar with that fan or with Athlon64 chips, but I can tell you how I apply the thermal paste: First, scrape off the little patch of crappy thermal goop that's probably already on your chip or fan. I use the edge of a credit card to scrape of most of it, then alcohol and a lint-free cloth to clean the rest. When applying the Arctic Silver (that's what you got, right?), keep in mind that the paste is not supposed to create a gap between the heatsink and chip, it's merely supposed to fill the teeny tiny (microscopic?) gaps that might have air (an insulator) in them. You want maximum direct heatsink to chip contact. To accomplish this, I actually spread the heat transfer compound on both the heatsink and the chip (depending on the packaging) and then carefully remove the excess. There should barely be any Arctic Silver left on either side. Then figure out how to fasten your heatsink/fan to your chip and you're done!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 rpm will be fine as long as you remember to turn up the fan speed to about 3000-3500 rpm when doing CPU intensive stuff. I have a fan bus on mine and can turn my CPU fan down to below 2500 and it's fine even when gaming.

I also have an A64 in my laptop and it runs the fan every five minutes for a bit. I think the A64 has a new feature that if it overheats, it underclocks so it won't fry. I would recommend doing a fan controller instead of the heat sensor. The heat sensor can be a little tricky to install right. If you don't want to do the fan controller, run it full speed. It'll be louder but at least it'll be cool.
    JO Guides & Tutorials
    Team Element - It's who you game with.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, i probably will do the switch. although its just a dial so theres no real way to tell how fast its going :\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

doesnt matter which way the clip goes on, just put it on the best way that you can put it on or take it off. Ie on mine i made it so the lever end is facing the gfx card, and not the PSU, that way i can take it off easy!

nice heatsink btw, i got the silentboost version, which has less copperfins = more spacing = less airflow needed for quieter system! Thinking of getting this one as well though

and about thermal paste, cing is telling you to remove way to much paste. For A64's they recommend putting a rice grain sized blob in the middle of the IHS, then just stick it on at let the pressure do the work.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm

Quote Originally Posted by jackel
    Ok, but my real question is that the fan i purchased has 3 different features.
    1) It can run at full speed (5500rpm)
    2) Temperature control, fan speed auto. I put a sensor on the bottum of the heatsink and i guesss it tells the fan how fast to go.
    3) Manual speed control 2000 - 5500 rpm. I then install a speed controller on the outside of the case and i change the speed.

jack
    3 would be fine, 2000rpm should keep the CPU cool enough even in the hotest of cases. 5500rpm is im sure VERY loud and only good if you are overclocking like mad or something. If you are worried just put it in the middle setting
    From Adam Webb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Overlag
    and about thermal paste, cing is telling you to remove way to much paste. For A64's they recommend putting a rice grain sized blob in the middle of the IHS, then just stick it on at let the pressure do the work.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm
    Well, I think my way probably uses about the same amount as a grain of rice. I just ensure that the heat transfer compound is spread over the entire surface...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah but you described totaly cleaning it off and having almost none left on it!
    From Adam Webb