Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

allow one CDOPT player when server isn't full?

Ok. New idea. What holes can we punch in it?

The idea is to allow 1 CDOPT player on the server at any given time.

This priviledge would only be available to CDOPT players when an (temp)admin is on the server and would only affect the first player without CD to show up. All subsequent players joining the server would be treated identically to the players who join the server now and do not have CD.

The first player arriving without CD gets to experience our server. They're easily identifiable as new to our server (No C-D), and an admin can quickly remove them if they cause trouble, allowing another single CDOPT player to have a chance.

Existing slot logic would dictate that this player would be among the first to be kicked when the server is full, as he would have no reservation status whatsoever.

Thoughts?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: allow one CDOPT player when server isn't full?

I stand against CDOPT. You cannot have the TG attitude and CDOPT, it just doesn't work. People without that minimal ammount of dedication to get an anti-cheat program simply aren't worth it. I downloaded CD way back when I started NS so I could move freely from server to server with no hassles, and now I've settled here. I'd like to keep the quality, no matter the cost to growth.
    Last edited by lordflametide; 11-07-2004 at 12:34 AM.
    --T3C[]-[]N0 []v[]UFF1N

The vending machine originated in Egypt in 215 B.C. Learn somethin new everyday, dontcha?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm for it. You tend to forget back when C-D was optional how many regs didn't have it to start. stingray, for example, was a NO-CDer and now shows up frequently. My memory slips me of others but not every person without Cheating-Death is uncommited, perhaps just never heard of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are always exceptions to a rule. But last I checked, no-CD people were told exactly how to get it, before being kicked. that is sufficent.
    --T3C[]-[]N0 []v[]UFF1N

The vending machine originated in Egypt in 215 B.C. Learn somethin new everyday, dontcha?

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People without CD are presently told HOW they should get CD, but they haven't the chance to be told WHY they should get CD. Playing with YOU people... rushing a hive alongside six other marines who KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY'RE DOING... halting your request for more alien res nodes as you stare at your minimap and see three more nodes than you saw as many minutes ago.... watching your res node survive because the lerk was umbra-ing it from a vent until you could arrive to save it.... THESE are the reasons WHY people will be WILLING to get CD. Running CD doesn't make this server special: its gameplay does.

But if they're kicked immediately, they're left only with a HOW accompanied with APATHY.

We now stand with a playerbase large enough to support what many of us consider a reasonable number of large games per night despite a Cheating Death requirement.

This is possible because this server and its regulars have worked very hard in the past to promote growth and include strangers and make them friends.

I can appreciate your willingness (or my willingness) to judge strangers before you know them when the forecasted VOLUME of the strangers, and their behavior as you pre-judge it, threatens your ability to even EXPECT an enjoyable evening.

But ONE player, WITH admins present, will NOT, unless you ALLOW it, ruin ANYTHING on the server.

It remains VERY possible, arguably LIKELY, that many of these individuals without Cheating Death will be one of the next great regulars on our server.

How many solutions have we tried regarding CD in the past?

Which ones remain today?

The ones that proved acceptable by the majority... none other.

This wouldn't be any different.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One perhaps Wyz, and only in the precense of an admin of some sort. But even TWO no-CD people is pushin the line.
    --T3C[]-[]N0 []v[]UFF1N

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can dig this. There ARE players who like the types of games we play that don't have CD, or maybe even don't know what it is. Hell, I fell into the latter category back when the server started running CD.

If the player is willing to keep playing with us through the annoying voice for a map or two, and plays well, then I can almost guarantee the next time they come back CD won't be an issue (stupid voice!), and we'll have a happy regular.

NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about this as soon as we get a 6v6 or atleast 6v5 game of NS CD becomes OPT. By the time we get games like that we suaully have atleast ONE admin or member there to be a temp admin so itm ight work out. Also it would let a larger number of players join our server.
    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RGM-79N_GM_CUstom
    How about this as soon as we get a 6v6 or atleast 6v5 game of NS CD becomes OPT. By the time we get games like that we suaully have atleast ONE admin or member there to be a temp admin so itm ight work out. Also it would let a larger number of players join our server.
    No. Its been tried.
    --T3C[]-[]N0 []v[]UFF1N

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Custom's idea has been tried. It remains an option with /cdopt, but manually so.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have implemented this.

When one player without CD joins the server and an admin is present, he is permitted to stay.

If two or more players without CD join the server at the same time, all entering without CD are kicked. Players must join alone to be considered for retention.

If a player without CD is on the server, or if no admins are present on the server, players joining without CD are removed.

Please provide feedback after you witness this plugin in action.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Works nice, like the notification of number of NO-CDers and admins currently on. At one point it said there was 6 NO-CDers but there was only one...

Does Mr. Annoying Voice get to come back, too?

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mr. Annoying Voice should be in full effect.

Also, those "notifications" are debug statements that were accidentily left in after the plugin went live. I'll remove them. I'm not sure why it's claiming there are 6 [No C-D] players present, but I also don't care if there in fact is not.

Glad to hear you like it.

Keep the feedback coming, even if it's negative (about the implementation -- we're finished discussing the concept -- for now, anyway).