Depp as Wonka?

Can he pull it off?

More photos here: http://community.webshots.com/album/212076537AuhmoI

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Depp as Wonka?

Johnny Depp is very near the top of a very, VERY short list of actors that, in my opinion, have a flawless record when it comes to performing one very critical task if you're going to create a movie that provides the "escape" that I look for in a thoroughly satisfying cinematic experience: the transparent suspension of disbelief.

When I watch this guy act, I'm not watching Johnny Depp.. I'm watching his character.. EVERY TIME. For the duration of the time I'm watching his film, I'm part of the experience. That is so powerful, and it's a trait of any great movie and any great actor.

I'm no movie buff. I'm sure I haven't seen all his films. But I'm sure that I've been damn impressed by every film of his I saw.

I loved Gene Wilder and the original, with a passion, but I can't wait for this.

To be honest, I'm more concerned about who's playing Charlie, as that boy in the original really made the character as well.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

I am lost, if you know where I am then please feel free to tell me.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he wasnt in "From Hell", that movie would of sucked. Thats just how great he was in that movie.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be more concerned about the "Tim Burton" part of that poster.
    I love him and all, but I'm thinking that comparing the two films on anything other than an academic level would be pretty silly.

NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I concur. I see that and all I can think of is "Nightmare Before Christmas".

Great movie in its own way, but it's kinda creepy (not Halloween-creepy, but "Geez, you just wrecked a Classic"-creepy) thinking what Burton will do to this film.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyzcrak
    I concur. I see that and all I can think of is "Nightmare Before Christmas".

Great movie in its own way, but it's kinda creepy (not Halloween-creepy, but "Geez, you just wrecked a Classic"-creepy) thinking what Burton will do to this film.
    Well, keep in mind two things. One, that Roald Dahl's novels were pretty dark to begin with. And two, that the 1971 Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory just made the Scariest Movies of All Time list.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gene Wilder is Willy Wonka.. There can be no other.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

43452045524748454146204742204754202d204642424121

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always looked forward to Tim Burton movies and so far have been mostly disappointed (with the exception of Big Fish, which seemed way outside his mold). He has a lot of promise but so far has sorta missed the mark with his movies. Hopefully one day he'll nail it.

Johnny Depp is pretty amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Re: Depp as Wonka?

Quote Originally Posted by Apophis
    Gene Wilder is Willy Wonka.. There can be no other.
    Johnny Depp is probably the only guy who could replace him. I've seen him in a movie shown on Lifetime and it was good. Now that's talent!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HairyNevus
    Johnny Depp is probably the only guy who could replace him. I've seen him in a movie shown on Lifetime and it was good. Now that's talent!
    I don't see how Johnny Depp can replace Gene Wilder.. I actually bought the original movie on Laserdisc many years ago. :-) And I actually STILL watch it!

Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

43452045524748454146204742204754202d204642424121

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see a Kirk v. Picard-esque debate in the works....

Many doobs and cheetos will be thrown into the breech before this fight is settled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

johnny depp is a great actor...... the only one on my list to top his ability is Mel Gibson. that man can act like a rock and win an oscar.... he is by far the most talented person in hollywood IMO. from man without a face to lethal weapons tobrave heart to forever young to the patriot the man makes you believe every character he has ever portayed.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

I am lost, if you know where I am then please feel free to tell me.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remind me not to ask Ddog his opinions on moives :P
    Last edited by _Ender_; 11-12-2004 at 08:08 PM.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remind me not to ask Ender to proofread my posts.

LOL

Remember me?

Fondly?

WHAT?!

Also.. laserdisc? Let go, man.. LET GO!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Apophis
    I don't see how Johnny Depp can replace Gene Wilder.. I actually bought the original movie on Laserdisc many years ago. :-) And I actually STILL watch it!
    Gene Wilder is a great, classic actor. No one can beat him in Blazing Sadles or Young Frankenstein. But I must say after seeing Johnny Depp in Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas, Donnie Brasco, Blow, Secret Window etc. he takes control of the character and makes that person real. Like Wyz said, you aren't watching Johnny, you're watching his character.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast