Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skype - Voice Comm

This caught my attention: Skype

Skype lets game developers flexibly modify the nature of the sound passed through Skype with the aid of external real-time audio effects processing component. For example, when the communication inside the game takes place over simulated radio equipment, the player is piloting a fighter aircraft that receives instructions from Central Command, and the sound could be manipulated by the game to add radio crackles and noises. If the communication takes place in an open environment where people shout or call for each other, the volume of the sound could be dependent of the virtual distance between game characters, and the sound could be manipulated with reverb and echo effects according to the game environment materials.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Skype - Voice Comm

It sounds like it could do communication according to distance. So we can virtually talk to each other then use a special radio key to talk to everybody. That would be awesome.

The other stuff doesn't sound that cool. I can give you weird noises by plugging in my cheap mic.
    JO Guides & Tutorials
    Team Element - It's who you game with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It'd be cool if it would include environment sounds in the transmission. For instance, if rounds are falling all around you when you're talking, that gets sent out, and could make it difficult to communicate. That would provide a natural benefit to suppressive fire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My ambient sounds get transmitted because I don't use headphones. We'd have to get around the problem of those that use headphones and those that don't. It would be weird to get double transmission of gunfire.
    JO Guides & Tutorials
    Team Element - It's who you game with.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old thread entitled "Skype", FYI:

http://tacticalgamer.com/showthread.php?t=7821
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.