Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a bug's life movie analysis...

This question is only for those who have seen the movie and should be for those who are fluent with it:

During the early part of the movie, Flik presented a rock to Princess Dot and told her to pretend that the rock was the seed. Towards the middle, Dot once again presented Flik another rock and told HIM to pretend that that was a seed. and then the sun started to glow and he was enlightened and thanked Dot for it.

the question: what's the purpose of that specific scene and why was it so important that it gave Flik the courage to get back on his feet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: a bug's life movie analysis...

Gonna have to sit down and actually watch the movie again...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the first scene, Dot is suffering a confidence crisis (wings too small to fly, big sis running the colony, etc.). Flik(sp?) tries to buck her up with a pep talk about how a little seed grows into a giant tree. Being a little nerd, he can't find a seed nearby and so tries using a small rock (pretend it's a seed!) to illustrate the point. Dot being female; she acts like she doesn't get it and buzzes off leaving our hero feeling stoopid.

Being female, she does get it, of course; and uses the same rock-for-seed metaphor later in the piece to buck-up said Flik after his well-laid plans have resulted in seeming disaster (per usual).

My kids are 4 and 2; I watch a lot of children's movies repetitively. Check out "Hunchback of Notre Dame" -- The music is great if you're into that sort of thing.
    Grim
    Potential is interesting. Performance counts.

I am lost, if you know where I am then please feel free to tell me.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh..... my..... gawd.... we're analyzing disney movies.. shouldnt you guys be playing.... well I dont know... games?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

grim = hammer..... post = nail......

the rock for seed is a recurrance throughout the movie......
    at the end, the circus bugs present a rock to princess adda thinking it was some big deal, but the only ones to get it were flick and dot.

but yes, the rock represents the small, insignificant natue of an oak seed, that with patience and time, grows to be a huge, important, fruit-bearing tree (yes, all vegetaition bears fruit, like the "fruit of your labors" kind of fruit, not the "yummy good apple" fruit) so her repeating his advice to her back at him (he was depressed because he was "just one ant, and one ant against hopper's gang was useless") helps him see that ants can do great things (build the colony, and the bird) and gives him the courage to continue on.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by _Ender_
    oh..... my..... gawd.... we're analyzing disney movies.. shouldnt you guys be playing.... well I dont know... games?
    Metaphors and analogies are worth studying at any movie/book/play you bother with. While the average movie goer worries only about what he watches, a more avid fan analyzes what he watches.

The Simpsons is a prime example. A lot of people I talk to about it don't watch because it's "low-brow" humor. But if you look, you can find some hilarious quips that the average person might miss.

One example off the top of my head was the episode where Milhouse gets a girlfriend. After they break up, Milhouse confides "I don't get it Bart, we started out like Romeo and Juliet, but it all ended in tragedy." Not the best example, and there are many others: I just can't think of any off the top of my head.

If you watch "The Lion King," it's really just a version of Hamlet with a Disney Happy Ending™