Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1

    CingularDuality's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dallas/Ft. Worth area of Texas, USA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    16,861
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    SATA on an Asus A8V Deluxe...

    Please tell me that you should be able to use a single SATA drive with this mobo. Please don't tell me that I'm an idiot and that RAID is the only way to use SATA drives...

    Not only am I fretting over my old HDD, but now I can't figure out how to configure the BIOS and various RAID controllers so that I can get my single SATA HDD to be seen by Windows...

  2.  
  3. #2

    RandomGuy's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    K-W, Ont.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: SATA on an Asus A8V Deluxe...

    You need a driver (floppy) disk to install windows if it isn't installed yet because the install CD doesn't have any SATA drivers. Boot from install CD and right there will be a message that says push [some key] to use 3rd party HDD controller drivers or somesuch. You need to do this and use the windows SATA driver floppies supplied with your mobo.

    I'm sure you can use 1 single disk with any controller.

  4.  
  5. #3

    leejo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    47
    Posts
    7,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: SATA on an Asus A8V Deluxe...

    Exactly that. I recently bought sata drives and a new mobo and had the same issue. go to your mobo manufacturer's homepage and download the latest sata drivers onto a floppy. Boot, install windows, follow the instructions and it's a piece of cake.

  6.  

  7. #4

    CingularDuality's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dallas/Ft. Worth area of Texas, USA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    16,861
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: SATA on an Asus A8V Deluxe...

    Hmmm... Every single set of SATA drivers that I've downloaded has been labeled as "corrupted" by Windows Setup. I've tried redownloading them. I've tried several different versions of the drivers. I give up for tonight. I was downloading them from the Asus website. Perhaps I should look elsewhere for SATA drivers? Promise makes the controller. VIA makes the other controller (but I haven't been able to get even the BIOS to detect the drive when it's plugged in there...).

    This is the most trouble I've ever had building a computer. Things used to be so easy...

  8.  
  9. #5


    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NE Outer London, UK
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: SATA on an Asus A8V Deluxe...

    VIA ports are the best
    make sure its in the first port, not the second (that makes the VIA controler go nuts)
    make sure the VIA ports are set up for normal drive and not raid (i cant remember what it says in the bios)
    From Adam Webb

  10.  
  11. #6

    TheFeniX's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,281
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: SATA on an Asus A8V Deluxe...

    Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality
    Hmmm... Every single set of SATA drivers that I've downloaded has been labeled as "corrupted" by Windows Setup.
    I run an A7V8X and had no issues with the drivers on diskette. Make sure to leave the directory structure the same as it was.

    Verify textsetup.oem and fasttx2k are in the root of the floppy (A:\) and there is a folder like win200 or winxp with the INF file in it. If you want to be ultra-sure, copy the contents of that folder into the root as well.

    The reason why SATA drivers must be loaded is the same reason you have to load SCSI drivers: the OS doesn't pre-load them yet. IDE controllers are so mainstream and standardized, every modern OS includes them. Same for CD-ROM drivers. Yes, CD-ROMs required manual loading of drivers (as did Mouses/mice) back in DOS because support wasn't coded into the OS.

    Once SATA becomes more mainstream, you OS will "pick them up." I would expect Longhorn to support them.

    Feel free to shoot me an e-mail or IM if you continue to have problems as I have extensive experience with ASUS boards and know about SATA RAID arrays and standard setups.

    PS: verify nothing is wrong with both your floppy and the drive itself. Just in case you haven't already.

    EDIT: I have an archived driver I know for a fact is good and current. If you want it, let me know and I'll e-mail it/FTP it to you after work tomorrow.

  12.  

  13. #7

    CingularDuality's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dallas/Ft. Worth area of Texas, USA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    16,861
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: SATA on an Asus A8V Deluxe...

    Well, it was the "file is corrupted" error message that was throwing me off. If it had said that the driver was incompatible, I would've given up on it much earlier. I simply didn't have WinXP64 drivers. As soon as I tried to install WinXP(32), the drivers I was using worked just fine.

    VIA ports don't seem to be working and web research indicates that nobody knows how to install a single SATA drive using them. The Promise controller (using SATA_RAID_1 connector) works like a charm, though... If anyone can tell me how to get a single SATA drive to work using the VIA controller on SATA_1, then please post how you did it. I've found hundreds of people in several different forums that haven't figured out how to get it to work that way.

    Now I just have to figure out how much stuff SP2 screws up... I hate reformatting... And I haven't had to do it in almost 4 years, so there's lots of stuff to move around to get things the way I like...

  14.  
  15. #8


    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NE Outer London, UK
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: SATA on an Asus A8V Deluxe...

    Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality
    Well, it was the "file is corrupted" error message that was throwing me off. If it had said that the driver was incompatible, I would've given up on it much earlier. I simply didn't have WinXP64 drivers. As soon as I tried to install WinXP(32), the drivers I was using worked just fine.

    VIA ports don't seem to be working and web research indicates that nobody knows how to install a single SATA drive using them. The Promise controller (using SATA_RAID_1 connector) works like a charm, though... If anyone can tell me how to get a single SATA drive to work using the VIA controller on SATA_1, then please post how you did it. I've found hundreds of people in several different forums that haven't figured out how to get it to work that way.

    Now I just have to figure out how much stuff SP2 screws up... I hate reformatting... And I haven't had to do it in almost 4 years, so there's lots of stuff to move around to get things the way I like...
    VIA ports are easy to install sata drives on.

    yet i also see ALOT of threads like yours where they say the controler doesnt support single drives........

    odd
    From Adam Webb

  16.  
  17. #9

    RandomGuy's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    K-W, Ont.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: SATA on an Asus A8V Deluxe...

    The Promise sata raid controller will probably perform the same (or better) than the VIA controller in your southbridge.

  18.  

  19. #10

    CingularDuality's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dallas/Ft. Worth area of Texas, USA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    16,861
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: SATA on an Asus A8V Deluxe...

    Quote Originally Posted by Overlag
    VIA ports are easy to install sata drives on.

    yet i also see ALOT of threads like yours where they say the controler doesnt support single drives........

    odd
    Have you done it? Installed a single SATA drive on the VIA controller?

  20.  
  21. #11

    RandomGuy's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    K-W, Ont.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: SATA on an Asus A8V Deluxe...

    Ok did some quick lookups and your board has the same VIA 8237 southbridge which includes the SATA RAID controller. My board doesn't have the extra promise controller (but it is an option). I have a single SATA disk drive. It was effortless - all automatic detection. No special settings needed, just the winXP install drivers. I can't remember which SATA port I used. I would think it doesn't matter but try switching.

    Side note, the RAID controller setup for my board is separate from the BIOS setup. You press tab to enter the RAID setup only after you get past the chance to press del for setup (BIOS). Of course with only one disk connected, all options for RAID are not allowed.

  22.  
  23. #12

    CingularDuality's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dallas/Ft. Worth area of Texas, USA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    16,861
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: SATA on an Asus A8V Deluxe...

    Quote Originally Posted by RandomGuy
    Side note, the RAID controller setup for my board is separate from the BIOS setup. You press tab to enter the RAID setup only after you get past the chance to press del for setup (BIOS). Of course with only one disk connected, all options for RAID are not allowed.
    Right, and that was/is my problem. It wouldn't run the disk in "IDE mode" like the Promise controller is doing...

  24.  

  25. #13


    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NE Outer London, UK
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: SATA on an Asus A8V Deluxe...

    Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality
    Have you done it? Installed a single SATA drive on the VIA controller?
    yes, on two different pcs
    and random, no, the promise controler ISNT better than the VIA one, at least on the A8V
    From Adam Webb

  26.  
  27. #14

    RandomGuy's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    K-W, Ont.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: SATA on an Asus A8V Deluxe...

    Quote Originally Posted by Overlag
    the promise controler ISNT better than the VIA one, at least on the A8V
    Curious: I can't imagine how it could be worse.

  28.  
  29. #15


    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NE Outer London, UK
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: SATA on an Asus A8V Deluxe...

    the promise controler is on the PCI bus, its basicaly a PCI card built into the MB
    the VIA is in the southbridge which is connected to the northbridge by a 1066mb/s link (i think)

    1066mb/s vs 133mb/s = less likely to hit any bottle necks

    did you set the boot order correctly?
    From Adam Webb

  30.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Back to top