Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Thread: TrackIR Update

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TrackIR Update

I've been reading about a big update for trackIR (3 only) that apparently allows one to look over and around objects. Beta testers say its amazing.

While trackIR tracks movement on 2 axes now, this will, somehow, allow users to configure movement on 6 axes. (I minored in physics in college and am only aware of 4 dimensions so I'm curious to see what these other two might be)

Anyway, seems interesting. There's a trailer here: http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/

and some discussion at frugal's: http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/s...hlight=trackir

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: TrackIR Update

They have the info up now. Looks pretty cool, but very gay to wear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yah, looks pretty cool. I haven't read anything that said this will affect fps, but I'm sure it will at least hog up more processor power, no? Why is it gay? It's just a clip on your hat!
    New to TG? Start here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're right. It's not gay. Not that there's anything wrong with gay. I've just been sticking the dot on my forehead anyway so donning a ball cap will make me look and feel less like an Indian bride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the 6 axees(sp?) they refer to are the three (forward/backward , left/right , up/down) with two different map points on each. i.e. linear movement and twist, thus giving the "6" they refer to.

like turning and strafing
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every time I try to use TrackIR i get nauseous. Apparently I move around a bit more than I realized. I'm not ready to give up on it yet but it's quite dissappointing for me.
    “Waiting to be awakened by some unexpected thunderous roar, never dying...the sleeping giant lives and will sleep no more”. - John Seabrook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got it - WOW. It's amazing. Very smooth. None of that having to hold your head perfectly still stuff. You just look where you want to look and it pretty much figures it out.

I've done a quick run with Falcon 4.0 and IL2FB. I'll check out lomac later but this is nice nice nice so far. Way better than the tir, which I never really did get the hang of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey leejo my understanding was that the forward/back and side-to-side movements were not supported in IL2...is that right? How do you like it in Lomac?
    New to TG? Start here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right almost no games are using the full 6 axes features, but what this does is "fix" trackIR so that when you shift in your seat, tilt your head toward the horizon while flying in a banking turn, or do anything like that your view doesn't fly all over the place. It really feels right. LOMAC is super (though I only checked it out briefly). For example, looking up to track ground targets while flying upside down is silky smooth.

Put it this way - I never really got the hang of the trackIR before and just didn't use it very much. If I ever did anything like fly inverted or start really flipping around, I very quickly got disoriented and lost SA. I use this constantly when flying and it truly feels like my head is in the cockpit.
    Last edited by leejo; 01-18-2005 at 04:59 PM.