Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stability where you don't expect it

I know we're all quick to blame wireless and certain hardware options, like USB, when things don't go right in our gaming experience.

I just thought that I'd mention something.

I run a wireless network in a neighborhood of multiple wireless networks. I use encryption. Meanwhile I have a 2.4 Ghz cordless phone in my house and frequently use the microwave. I have two network adapters on my machine, one of which is disabled. Enabled is my USB wireless adapter, which is my only connection to game servers.

My workstation is across the house from the wireless router, and, when I don't have software issues or ISP problems, I get a solid 50ms response time to TG's server.

As quick as we are to bitch about wireless when it comes to gaming networks, I guess it's only fair to point out that, when things are setup properly, a wireless network will, within the context of online multiplayer gaming, perform no less powerfully than a wired network.

Hell, I may break it any moment now, but the last two weeks or so leave me with no other option than to admit that there's nothing wrong with wireless on principle. It works just fine.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: stability where you don't expect it

I second that. When not using my desktop, I use my wireless card in my laptop to game. And like you, there are a few days when I have issues but overall it has been a good experience. My ping times aren't as good as yours on some days but on average, I get between 60-70ms. Viva la wireless!

[volun]

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been fighting ISP issues lately and, even when things are going well, only manage a 60ms-70ms ping.

For the last two days, having changed NOTHING in my house (well, I changed the litter in the litterbox), my ping has dropped to between 40ms and 50ms. Hopefully it will last.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I concur. I recently renovated my top floor and was considering running CAT5 everywhere and am SO glad I went with a wireless G setup as a few suggested.

I get 1 MB/sec+ transfer between my two systems, my xbox works flawlessly on Live and there is no difference in my internet performance from being hardwired using 128 bit encryption.

I would recommend wireless completely!

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For reference, I will point out that I have 802.11b (not G).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the business world, wireless has it's place, but it's not a panacea. If the ability is there: pull cable. The equipment cost greatly outweights the cost of the cable itself.

Wireless is great for the home, but the overhead is high. You loose almost 50% of your bandwidth to collisions, Syn/Acks, and encryption. Just make sure you know what you're doing before getting caught up in a poor wireless install.

That said, my wireless was running fine up until 4 new wireless networks popped up on my network viewer. Now I consistantly drop packets just to my WAP. I have since switched to wired.