User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which headset to go on my Xmas list?

http://www.altecmm.com/product_details.asp?pID=AHS602

http://www.sennheisercommunications.com/pr-pc150.html

I also looked at these but I hesitate to complicate things by going with USB speakers. Just doesn't seem right to me. But I guess it would eliminate my need for a sound card (if I never used speakers, anyway...).

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Which headset to go on my Xmas list?

I can't say I'm familiar with the Altec Lansing headsets but I'm a huge fan of Sennheiser. I've been using the same set for nearly five years now, though it's not the same model. They're great for gaming, movies and music. My particular module contains a modular cord. Great for replacing that one piece which always get's yanked on, stepped on, etc. and broken. Costs me only $10 to replace the cord which is critical for high priced headsets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by asch
    I can't say I'm familiar with the Altec Lansing headsets but I'm a huge fan of Sennheiser. I've been using the same set for nearly five years now, though it's not the same model. They're great for gaming, movies and music. My particular module contains a modular cord. Great for replacing that one piece which always get's yanked on, stepped on, etc. and broken. Costs me only $10 to replace the cord which is critical for high priced headsets.
    Does yours have a boom mic? I definitely want that feature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an Altec Lansing set, but a model from over a year ago. I will say that the sound is terrific... fantastic spatial/environmental/positional audio for gaming, and thunderous quality for music. Two plusses! I have no idea how well the mic works... that's up to all my peeps who have to listen to my yap ingame. But if I sound alright to you, then it's probably alright.

However... they're *not* comfortable... at least not for extended durations (which I'm sure most of us are prone to endure ). The picture is rather deceiving... they look like they're over-the-ear design (ie, to enclose the ear within), but they aren't. The pads sit completely on the ear itself. The very strong spring of the headband means that the earphones are smashing your ears against your skull. That's bad enough after an hour or so... but if you wear glasses, beware... you're about to pinch your ears rather unpleasantly (which I get around by hooking the earpieces of my glasses over the earpads, but then the lenses are cocked, and so I have to tilt my head to see properly... *sigh* ).

Basically put... if this set were comfortable, they'd be pretty much the perfect headset. But I'm always keeping my eyes (ears?) open for a new set for when I have the dough. I bought these based on reviews and pictures. I wish I could have tried them on. If you can, do a fit test on possible candidates ( do any stores even do this anymore?). I can't stress enough how important comfort is alongside of performance.
    Last edited by Mirfee; 12-09-2004 at 06:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been considering these:

http://www.edimensional.com/product_...products_id=30

I'm sure the sound quality is not as good as AL, but the price is hard to beat, and I've been impressed with the other products they make.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i got some 30 dollar Plantronics, and i love it to death. Best pair i've ever had too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a USB headset by logitech. It seems to work well, beeing hard of hearing I need something that will give a clear soud at higher levels. it does ok but the low end(explosions and such) are some times not as clear(mufled not staticy).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something wireless so you can talk to us while you're taking a crap! It's what I do!! I mean... um.. yeah.
    JO Guides & Tutorials
    Team Element - It's who you game with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a logitech wireless and I could hear others ok but they always complained that I sounded very tinny.
    "they're more like guidelines, than actual rules,"....Captain Barbossa - Pirates of the Caribbean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really leaning towards a headset made by a speaker company rather than one made by a computer accessory company. I've just been disappointed so much by crappy speakers that I'm tired of messing around with them. How do the USB speakers compare to analog? Do they bypass my sound card's decoding completely? How's that work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're going to use the USB headset, it has it's own sound processor so it's like another sound card. With that setup, you could run TS through the headset and the game sound through your speakers. If you're using the headset just for gaming, it doesn't say anything about EAX so you might be missing out.
    JO Guides & Tutorials
    Team Element - It's who you game with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality

I also looked at these but I hesitate to complicate things by going with USB speakers. Just doesn't seem right to me. But I guess it would eliminate my need for a sound card (if I never used speakers, anyway...).

I have that exact headset on at this very moment, and I LOVE it. Sound quality is surprisingly realistic and the most "directional" sound I've ever had in a headset. The only problem I've found with it is the fact that if you start a game without the headset plugged into the computer, you have to restart the game to get sound out of it, because otherwise the game wont recognize the new soundcard you added when you plugged them in. That's not that big of a deal for me though since I just leave them in 100% of the time.

How do the USB speakers compare to analog? Do they bypass my sound card's decoding completely? How's that work?
    If you look at the picture on the website, you'll see 2 attachments to the cable, one small one is your headset volume and your mic mute button, about waist down on the cable (nice location for it to clip anywhere on your torso, including your belt) and the other one is about a foot or so from the computer side. THAT addon is the new soundcard. It litterally is a whole new soundcard for your system, which is actually a very good quality etc. And in answer of the previous post, yes, it does have EAX.

Another big plus is that if I go to play on one of my secondary systems etc, I can take this headset with me and then I know I will have great quality sound, even though it's only an onboard soundcard in the machine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was THIS close to getting the Sennheiser's, but the allure of letting my speakers stay hooked up for Windows and headphones for games is simply too much. I went with the Plantronics and if they don't work as advertised, they're going back with much haste.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anything by plantronics are good. i have one and it was the best at its time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality
    Well, I'm VERY impressed with this headset! Very comfortable, I'm told that my mic sounds great, and they sound great for gaming. Definitely not the best for music, but they are great at expressing directional audio and sound effects. The lower freqs are weak, but that's probably better for my ears while gaming.

Bottom line, these headphones are fantastic for gaming and watching movies, but if you appreciate good speakers for good music, these will be a bit disappointing in that department.