Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somerville Divestment Fails

Somerville Divestment Failure is Bittersweet

A little background: The Somerville Divestment Project is a grassroots campaign in the city of Somerville to get the city to divest from Israel. They got the aldermen to address the issue and there was a considerable possibility of passing a resolution to divest.

Although it ultimately has failed, I was extremely surprised to see it go as far as it did, and it provides a good model for other cities and organizations. I'm posting the story here because I think it's important as a precedent and, from what I've heard, it has received very little coverage in the U.S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Somerville Divestment Fails

You're right, I hadn't heard of the story. The new Pal aid package hardly got any coverage either.

On a general note, do you think theer is a better chance for negotiations now that Arafat is gone, or do the same dogmas prohibit movement on either side?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there is HOPE. Which is more than there has been in a very long time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that website is the apitamy of why nothing is ever achieved, just look at the language that is being used. its ridiculous.

www.TeamElement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by H-Hour
    I'm posting the story here because I think it's important as a precedent and, from what I've heard, it has received very little coverage in the U.S.
    Why would you expect it to receive much coverage? It's a local issue...

Quote Originally Posted by Dudeman
    that website is the apitamy of why nothing is ever achieved, just look at the language that is being used. its ridiculous.
    Which language did you find so offensive? It's obviously an editorial article, but I found nothing particularly inflammatory in it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality
    Why would you expect it to receive much coverage? It's a local issue...

Which language did you find so offensive? It's obviously an editorial article, but I found nothing particularly inflammatory in it...
    Well, he said that language was ridiculous, not offensive. And not necessarily in the article. The site itself is pretty lame. But it admits to being a site showing the conflict "from a Palestinian perspective," whatever that means.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Switchcraft
    Well, he said that language was ridiculous, not offensive. And not necessarily in the article. The site itself is pretty lame. But it admits to being a site showing the conflict "from a Palestinian perspective," whatever that means.

precisely,

references to jewish people, hmm opening paragraphs, powerful jews who blindly ignore the poor beaten up palestinians.

i dont see this the way they are putting it, many hardships faced in refugee camps are to do with the conflict its self, as are many instances of unfair treatment.

the site has gone one step further.

its casual about it too, i did not read the entire page, but i read enough to make me delete it and dismiss it.

www.TeamElement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a general note, do you think theer is a better chance for negotiations now that Arafat is gone, or do the same dogmas prohibit movement on either side?
    Maybe a better chance for negotiations, but the real question is what those negotiations consist of. For all of Arafat's failures to initiate or clarify peace efforts of his own, his refusal to accept the frame work of negotiations as as it has been in the last 5-10 years was really his only wise move.

In the current atmosphere, negotiations will take place only within Israeli parameters and only with the United States as mediator - an entity that is clearly not in a position to mediate the conflict as it provides the very weapons used against one side of the conflict. These negotiations, therefore, will not serve to solve the conflict, but simply to undermine Palestinian aspirations for sovereignty and strengthen Israel's hold on the West Bank through the political legitimation of it's illegal settlements.

A brief overview of what the terms - as they are specifically related to the viability of a Palestinian state - would be if negotiations took place now:

Israeli withdrawal from Gaza with an 8km "buffer zone" is what the Israeli government is planning with the unilateral withdrawal (I haven't heard anything about the "buffer zone" in a while, so maybe they have backed off from that). In return, it is expected that Israel will be able to retain it's large settlement blocks in the West Bank, where over 400,000 settlers now live.

To support these large settlement blocks, Israel will demand the retention of the following items:

a) Bypass roads giving the settlers easy access to Israel. These roads consitute "no-go" areas for Palestinians, and because they reach all the way from the Jordan border to Israel, they serve to carve Palestinian land up into several cantons. Travel between these cantons will require permission from Israel. This travel includes political or economic coordination, goods distribution and simple freedom of movement. Therefore, a viable, sovereign Palestinian state could not exist - purely for economic reasons.

b) Also, to maintain these settlement blocks, Israel will insist on maintaining a military presence in the West Bank. Though they may agree to "move out" of some areas, as they did in Oslo II, their network of military roads and bases serves to carve up the territory even more.

c) A large "buffer zone" on the Jordan border. This means three things. First, it means that a significant portion of the West Bank becomes a part of Israel. Second, it means that Jericho is completely surrounded by Israeli territory and, in all practicality, will have to become a part of the state of Israel. And third, it means that Palestine has absolutely no independent borders. Israel will control all movement in and out of Palestine.

d) The West Bank has three main water aquifers, each located under illegal settlement blocks that Israel has shown no indication of removing. Currently 80% of the water coming from the West Bank goes to Israel and it's settlements, while only 20% is given to Palestinians (2.5 million people).

Any Palestinian "nation" that is created through negotiations will almost assuredly contain these items. As such, freedom of movement within the "sovereign" Palestine will be almost as restricted as it is now. In 2001, the World Bank concluded that movement restrictions were the single greatest cause of economic problems in the West Bank. Because of this, I don't believe negotiations are worthwhile right now. Even if an agreement is made, life in Palestine will not improve much - if at all - and therefore the unrest will not be dealt with. Maybe you will see a short peaceful period similar to the time after Oslo, but before long you will see another Intifada.