User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stats

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stats

Is it possible to have some kind of stats tracker? I've seen it a couple of time on some server. just wondering...

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: stats

Stats is... possible.

But here's the big question, and the answer better be convincing:

Why have stats?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyzcrak
    Why have stats?

I like is because you can sometime see how your doing, and how well your keeping up with the others, and see where you are on the list. It's also interesting to see how many kills you have with the knife or lmg, or parasite

I don't use it for the "oMg I gOt A bEtTeR sCoRe ThAn YoU, sO yOu SuCk!!111!1oneoneone!!

I use it to know how well I am doing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper
    I don't use it for the "oMg I gOt A bEtTeR sCoRe ThAn YoU, sO yOu SuCk!!111!1oneoneone!!
    I use it to know how well I am doing
    Fair enough for you, but I remember clanners (or pubbers) who would try to *nearly* kill a Fade then would whip out a knife for the 1337 kill.
    Honestly, dying to that Fade can be very harmful if your carrying something important *won't drop either cause knife is out*
    At best, the team is a man down for a little while. But it could hurt if you were doing something important - like taking down that res node.
    For Combat maybe. But Classic NS is different. Some comms (not sure who sorry) would like order a soldier into the OCs so that they would get back to base to use the PG to help siege the hive. If there were stats - would he run into those OCs..

In short, Classic NS is about teamwork. Not ur stats. Win - Loss stats can cause stacking and .. yeah. Among pubbers anyway.

He said it best
    Quote Originally Posted by ----paranoid
    They are inaccurate and pointless and in the end just lead to stat whoring.
    Sacrificing yourself so that your friends can stealthily get past a wall of OCs to siege the hive from a "defended location" is good. Trying to knife an onos is bad.

I'm blathering at this point, so quickly - I would say "non" to this. Donno what the rest of you might think.
    *leaves the podium, dusting the top*

<EDIT> I'll never post without a good quote to back me up. I think it's a good rule for new ppl.
    Erm. hi :) *waves siggy*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Fair enough for you, but I remember clanners (or pubbers) who would try to *nearly* kill a Fade then would whip out a knife for the 1337 kill.
    Honestly, dying to that Fade can be very harmful if your carrying something important *won't drop either cause knife is out*
    At best, the team is a man down for a little while. But it could hurt if you were doing something important - like taking down that res node.
    For Combat maybe. But Classic NS is different. Some comms (not sure who sorry) would like order a soldier into the OCs so that they would get back to base to use the PG to help siege the hive. If there were stats - would he run into those OCs..

In short, Classic NS is about teamwork. Not ur stats. Win - Loss stats can cause stacking and .. yeah. Among pubbers anyway.

He said it best

Sacrificing yourself so that your friends can stealthily get past a wall of OCs to siege the hive from a "defended location" is good. Trying to knife an onos is bad.

I'm blathering at this point, so quickly - I would say "non" to this. Donno what the rest of you might think.
    *leaves the podium, dusting the top*

<EDIT> I'll never post without a good quote to back me up. I think it's a good rule for new ppl.

I somewhat agree. Some people will do this, and it makes the system not work nearly as well :\

Seeing it for combat would be neat though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol.. looking back. I realise that I DO end up knifing an onos. Reason ..
    Spawn with lmg.. empty into an onos running around spawn.. whip out pistol.. empty that too. Then I'll jump on the onos, knifin gfor a bit of damage too. He stops running around and devours me, becoming slower. My friends frag him before he gets out. I climb outta it's body and laugh.
    Erm. hi :) *waves siggy*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stats don't fit ns, they don't show real skill. All it will do is cause problems like gloating and not useing teamwork so one can get better stats.

LazyEye

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I am interested in seeing my own stats, I fear that it may motivate people to play differently than they would without.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We used to have them on my old server (Twilight-Eclipse) and the only problem I ever saw with it were that people would rather kill the spawning marines than kill the IP. It was really bad when you would see 3 oni around an IP, and them only bite when the marine spawned, and then wait for the next.

Other than that, the stats worked great. It helped us as a clan to see what each of us individually excelled at, and needed to work on (got killed by spores too much, didn't get enough shotty kills, who has the best OC placement skill, etc).

It is hard, however, to have an overall score for NS though, because realistically, how do you compare a gorge's gameplay stats to that of an onos? The onos would die without the gorge building chambers etc, but the gorge would die without the onos to protect etc. They need eachother, but how do you compare the stats of the two?

These are my experiences with stats on an NS server. Someone go find Stupid, he was there with me, and he might have some more insights that I can't remember.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just Say No.

T_BEAR

lol I remember that mito. So much stat whoreing on the TE server. Anyways stats that accumulate over months and months would lead to stat whores which would in turn lead to less teamwork. What do you guys think of a stat system that counted only the last round that was played. Like person x got 3 knife kills, person xx did 100000 worth in damage. We had that type of stat system before and I thought it was kind of cool. I think this could be accpectable in CO games but ns games too?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ImJustMito
    We used to have them on my old server (Twilight-Eclipse) and the only problem I ever saw with it were that people would rather kill the spawning marines than kill the IP.
    This also happens when no stats are enabled. Some people just like to spawnkill to finish first. I agree that stats don't reflect skills, but we all know who the good players are and even if they don't finish first, they are still useful.

However, stats are good for tracking how well you do. If you go and look your stats and you realize that, in average, you died 5 times for every kill, you will be more aware of that and you will tend to work on that flaw. Also, i don't think that people on this server will use stats to "show-off". It's just cool to see how well you do with each class and which class you should improve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about stats that aren't frag oriented?
    # times went alien or marine
    # times com, went com and won?
    # times with JP and # times died with JP?
    # times with HMG
    # times went ONOS, # times died AS onos?
    # times went fade... etc

This way we can keep track of who drops the most chambers, hives etc, goes what lifeform, etc

Emanon

stats whoring only happens when they first go up, then they are just tools to poke fun at each other.

Dont dig too deep into things because most of the things listed here doesnt happen.

In the long run stats are just fun to look at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squeak
    What about stats that aren't frag oriented?
    # times went alien or marine
    # times com, went com and won?
    # times with JP and # times died with JP?
    # times with HMG
    # times went ONOS, # times died AS onos?
    # times went fade... etc

This way we can keep track of who drops the most chambers, hives etc, goes what lifeform, etc
    ^ I like this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast