Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advanced video settings?

Has anyone played around with the anti-alias and filtering options in the advanced video settings in CS:S? I was surprised that when I turned AA to 4x and filtering to 16x antistropic I didn't notice any framerate decrease...I also didn't notice any difference in video quality either, so I'm just wondering if anyone else seen a similar result?
    Twisted Firestarter
    a.k.a |TG| Harkonian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Advanced video settings?

what are your system specs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pentium 4 3.00GHz
    1GB RAM
    ATI Radeo 9800XT
    Twisted Firestarter
    a.k.a |TG| Harkonian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I double my frame rate when I turn off AA and AF altogether (100++) compared with 4XAA and 8XAF (50-70+). Half again when 4XAA and 16XAF (30s). I don't know if this is a driver thing or what but you're frickin' lucky man!

A64 3400+
    1 gig DDR400
    x800 pro @ 513/533
    Omega 2.5.9.0 drivers
    screen at 1280x1024/100hz

EDIT: WOO FRICKIN' HOOOO

I just installed the new 2.5.9.7 Omegas based on the 4.12 Catalysts and have only a marginal drop in frame rates between no AA/AF and 4xAA/8xAF (or 16xAF for that matter). I don't quite believe it but wow. 100+ fps with 4xAA/8xAF/High Quality Textures, etc. was only a dream before, definitely a matter of having the right drivers installed.
    Last edited by DeRanger; 12-31-2004 at 03:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its great that you did not see a performance decease when turning the filters up. Obviously your card can handle it. I am really surprised that you did not see better visual quality. Especially with the anio, on the stones, and other surfaces. This could be a result of your resolution. What resolution are you playing at? With your set-up I would think you could easily handle 1024 by 1200. I personally play with 4x AA, and 16x AF. I could get 200FPS if I ran 600 by 800, with all the candy off, but then what would be the point of having a high end system. I have heard of guys with high end set-ups running like this just to get a little more FPS. How sad. I personally I try to find a happy medium between FPS, and visual quality.

I just installed the new 2.5.9.7 Omegas based on the 4.12 Catalysts and have only a marginal drop in frame rates between no AA/AF and 4xAA/8xAF (or 16xAF for that matter).
    I looked at these. What were you using before?

A good man stands up for himself. A great man stands up for others.