Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

asus a7v8x motherboard and serial ata...

hi there, first time here.

i have an asus a7v8x motherboard and have recently bought a seagate serial ata hard drive. the bios won't recognize the drive although the motherboard has two serial ata connectors. does anyone with this specific motherboard has any ideas as to how to get the serial ata driver for this? i've checked asus' website and does not have anything on it. any help or info would be great!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: asus a7v8x motherboard and serial ata...

first - is the serial ata enabled in bios? it is not by default.

second - does bios recognize the drive?
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by =DdogG=
    first - is the serial ata enabled in bios? it is not by default.

second - does bios recognize the drive?
    i go into my bios and nowhere does it has anything that says serial ata, not even in the advanced section. somehow the computer recognizes my new serial ata drive, but it recgonizes it as an scsi drive, but winexplorer does not pick it up, nor does it POST at the beginning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok dumb question. Doy you have the pin settings for master/ slave set right. end cable conecter set master or middle set slave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NewsWrthy
    ok dumb question. Doy you have the pin settings for master/ slave set right. end cable conecter set master or middle set slave.
    That's IDE. SATA has no master/slave settings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the bios will have settings for your serial ATA. usually in the "integrated peripheral" or wherever you can choose what IDE controllers are enabled. I don't have that board, but I did have an abit with serial and it was with all the other things you can disable like audio, lan, raid, parrallel, serial, etc.

if the post screen sees it, you will need to install drivers for the controller so windows caqn use the drive.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well the post screen does not recognize it. i've check every aspect of the bios and nowhere was i able to find anything having to do with enabling the serial ata controller. i'm guessing that with no luck finding the driver, that could perhaps an sata host adapter work? thanks, you guys have been very helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/s...1119_a7v8x.pdf

hmmmm i just took a look though the manual, and couldnt see any mention of them, odd.... but as ddogg says it should be in the integrated peripherals somewhere....
    From Adam Webb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I looked there too, but that is a generic bios, and there are 18 different a7v8x's or so.....

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the asus board. There is a jumper to turn ON / OFF the SATA ports. You need to switch the jumper before the bios will read the drive. I had the same problem... took me two days before I read the manual. Once I changed the jumper, the bios read the drive and windows XP picked it up also. I installed the drivers and the drive worked like a charm.

Just noticed... I actually have the A7N8X board but I believe there is a jumper on both boards.