User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ns_siege maps...

Personally i love em,

they are like CO, but without all the extra BS. Even before CO, siege maps were what CO is now, and they were always and always will be better than CO.

---------for those of you who dont know what a siege map is-----------

What is a siege map? It is a map where all three hives (sometimes only two) are in the same room and within siege proximity of one another.

The game starts with a "door" seperator between the aliens and marines, allowing both teams to build all their resnodes and upgrades without harrasment from the other team.

When the "main door" opens, both teams, having upgraded and built, are unleashed upon eachother and fight eachother with their upgrades.

After a certain amount of time, the "siege door" opens, which gives marines access to an area in the map that allows them to siege all three of the alien hives at once, ending the game.

If aliens are able to storm the siege room, and take it over... they can fight back against the marines and win the game. If marines take over the siege room, they siege out the hive and the game is over.

---------------

I started this thread because i myself am developing a siege map, it is a remake of the original classic siege, ns_siege005. And i have made the map to eliminate the reasons behind why people hate siege maps...

For some reason, there dosent seem to be a "middle ground" about siege maps. People either passionately love them, or passionately hate them.

I have seen though that people who passionately hate siege maps usually have bad experiences over pub servers where whordes of noobs ruin siege games by..... being noob.

many people that hate siege maps have not really experienced "quality" siege games where both teams know waht they are doing and strive for an effort to fight for controll of the map..... I have seen siege games last for over an hour where the siege room was taken by both teams several times... THOSE are the siege games we siege map lover look for.

As a lover of siege maps, I want to know this communitys opinion.

Do you love siege maps? Do you hate them?

If you hate them then why? PLEASE spend a few seconds listing the reasons.

Would you like a siege map on the server?

Should it be in rotation? (maybe only as a "co" type rotation where if there are a few people then it will play siege map, otherwise NS map)
    Prejudice sucks:
    Do not judge me by my past, for I have changed.

DarkHunter == Blackjackel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: ns_siege maps...

I didn't enjoy the ns_siege map. It seemed that the map was overwhelmingly one sided. All the hallways were to long. Granted there is a great vent system, mariens still have the advantage becuase of how open all the rooms are. I've only played it a few times. I still would like to continue playing this map to draw more conclusions. I'm sure the map is playable and winnable on both sides, but I've seen only one-sided games so far.

I've also noticed that aliens have a rough time defending the nodes, because there are so many and they are so spread out. No time to much on marine resnodes.
    birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

siege maps tend to draw a rather undesirable group of players, namely people who don't feel like putting any effort into a real game and just want to kill stuff. If the server was passworded or something I think it'd be fun to play those maps once in a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zek
    If the server was passworded or something I think it'd be fun to play those maps once in a while.
    Great idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ns_siege maps are a mockery of Natural Selection and should be destroyed from the face of the earth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I love siege for the nostalgic sense, but not for being a great map. If we wanted to do like Zek suggested and password the server then have a bunch of regulars play I think i could be fun. For those who do not have siege (any of them) installed here's a website with ns_siege002, ns_siege004, ns_siege005, ns_siege005returns, ns_siege006, ns_siege007, and ns_siege_it002.

A lot of them are the same, grey map. '006 is the one with a tall room with a fourth hive and a ramp room. There's also been some problems with the door not opening in earlier maps like '002.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its basicly a fy map, or a co map :\

dont get me wrong i like it alot its just not something tg would do, imo.

besides i remember the old ones being a HUGE server resource hog.. and with the cs:s server and the ns one on the same box i dont think the serv admins want to take that big of a risk.

(btw, misslecommand was awesome)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so people are generally for it as long as the server is locked when its on?

Remember, people that dont want to contribute to the game usually get kicked by cheating-death.... eliminating the need to lock the server....
    Prejudice sucks:
    Do not judge me by my past, for I have changed.

DarkHunter == Blackjackel.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blackjackel

Remember, people that dont want to contribute to the game usually get kicked by cheating-death.... eliminating the need to lock the server....

what? no, there are still fools who run C-D.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blackjackel
    No, I am against it entirely. I have never enjoyed playing a siege game. No specific reason other than the lack of fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LazyEye
    ns_siege maps are a mockery of Natural Selection and should be destroyed from the face of the earth.
    Tell us how you really feel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, I almost fear admitting it, but I thought ninjafall was a BLAST.

There's a certain beauty in the simplicity of it all. I wouldn't want it in the regular rotation by ANY means, though; my memories can tide me over for now.

NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Face it NS_SIEGE is one of the most like maps, only because of steam... Thats right steam, everything can be traced to it, ive been playing sice 2002, and well when steam added that browse games thing, it all went downhill... Pubing just isnt much fun... Thats why i settled down with TG.

I do have to had it to the NS_SIEGE maps are fast past ns maps, and sometimes i just wana test new models or tactics...
    Oyee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black_V!per
    Face it NS_SIEGE is one of the most like maps, only because of steam... Thats right steam, everything can be traced to it, ive been playing sice 2002, and well when steam added that browse games thing, it all went downhill... Pubing just isnt much fun... Thats why i settled down with TG.

I do have to had it to the NS_SIEGE maps are fast past ns maps, and sometimes i just wana test new models or tactics...

Reason why ns siege maps suck:

Very little strategy needed. With all the res in one spot for each team, there is no such thing as map control.

Itís anything but fast pasted, you cant even attack the other team right away.

The maps are bland and have almost zero architecture.

Marines will almost always win if they have more than 10 braincells.

Too much res on the maps itís ridiculous.

The maps are too big and open.

It turns ns into some sad training wheels that donít even help you learn.

Also, what do siege maps have to do with steam...there was custom maps on WON too. I think there was even siege maps back in 1.04.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LazyEye
    Reason why ns siege maps suck:

Also, what do siege maps have to do with steam...there was custom maps on WON too. I think there was even siege maps back in 1.04.
    I never played siege map in 1.04 but i remember quite well playing siegemaps on WON.
    I personnally like them, i had some fun on some games but i wouldn't recommend to put one in the map cycle.
    ''I'm on a mission from god''

-Elwood Blues

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast