Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you approve Steam?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Approve

17 48.57%
  • Disapprove

9 25.71%
  • Don't care, as long as I can play my games

9 25.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to steam or not to steam?

In the old days, I remember almost everybody hated steam. now that it's been a good while since the hype. I wonder how everybody feels about it now?

For me, I don't really care, as long as I can play my games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: to steam or not to steam?

I absolutley despise the fact that someone could pay $50 for HL2, get it home, and then not be able to play it without installing Steam.

It's a good idea, but it's come far ahead of its time. The technology simply isn't as prevalent or stable as needed for it to revolutionize gaming the way it could have if it had waited a few years...

Oh, yeah, almost forgot this:

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfire
    For me, I don't really care, as long as I can play my games.
    This is the same way most everyone feels. They just want to play their game.

If the power went out four times a month, they'd have the same hate for their utility company.

Most have nothing against what Steam is meant to be, but no one enjoys enduring what it too often is: a hurdle.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been pretty good so far for me. I don't use it every day though. A good thing that happened is I was at a LAN party Friday night and did some HL2 DM. I didn't have HL2 installed at all on my laptop and some didn't have the DM portion installed. It was easy for a few to download HL2 DM and for me to get all of the .gcf files and start playing.
    JO Guides & Tutorials
    Team Element - It's who you game with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It has worked fine for me but I have to dissaprove because of the difficulties I have seen others face. My freind doesn't have internet access so he misses out on HL2, for example.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For all the guaranteed money they are raking in they need to include some sort of telephone authentication path. It's ridiculous I can't authenticate steam because my dial-up modem happens to be in the other computer. I'm not going to yank it out just to play a game (though it looks like I may have to).

It's an insult to their legitimate, paying customer's.

What do I think of the overal technology? I think it's a great idea, is ahead of it's time, but maybe I'm just pissed off I'm stuck on dial-up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see needing internet access as no different than needing a new video card to make your high-tech game go. If it's a requirement on the box, then you need to make sure you get it.

NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see some people's problems with limited access to I-net connections and whatnot but I haven't had the first problem with Steam.
    I got it for the first time with the HL2 silver package several weeks before HL2's release and thoroughly enjoyed playing HL, CS:CZ, Deleted Scenes, etc. while I waited.

The automatic updating is really nice... especially when they update often.
    Nothing worse than having to go to FilePlanet to update a game. With Steam you start it (or re-start) let it do its thing, and play.

I wish the friends thing worked though... and gimme some anti-cheat soooon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It works. I don't have a problem with it. Why someone would abstain from playing a Steam game based entirely on principle is completely beyond me.

T_BEAR

I am a " Don't care, as long as I can play my games."

The thing that kind of bugs me though is the vast amount of money that valve seems to be making when people purchase their game off of steam. You pay 50 bucks for half life 2 and all that money goes to valve directly doesnt it (since their is no middle man)? Don't get me wrong I know bandwidth is expensive but don't you think they could decrease the price of the product all around?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember when steam sucked ass but not now, its been great for me so far

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T_BEAR
    I am a " Don't care, as long as I can play my games."

The thing that kind of bugs me though is the vast amount of money that valve seems to be making when people purchase their game off of steam. You pay 50 bucks for half life 2 and all that money goes to valve directly doesnt it (since their is no middle man)? Don't get me wrong I know bandwidth is expensive but don't you think they could decrease the price of the product all around?
    They do have to pay for the development of HL2. It wasn't cheap plus they want some profit to fund the next game.
    JO Guides & Tutorials
    Team Element - It's who you game with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as if the won system never went down, such short memories

i was playing HL2 at 8:20am...20minutes after release......
    From Adam Webb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to absolutely hate, HATE, Steam. But now it isn't so bad, and personally I actually approve of it. Though I wish the Friends thing would work a little better (it works a bit, but it's kind of shoddy). The automatic updates are definately a plus for me.

I can see how it sucks for others who might not have an internet connection would miss out on HL2, but I see it as a requirement just as any other. It's just the same as if a game with great graphics would require a high end video card. Some people don't have high end video cards, so they get one or they miss out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody remember beta of 1.6/steam? It worked great back then. Friends always worked for me, It NEVER froze once. It always was connected fine. I think the main problem is just too many people for the amount of servers they have, it's always getting overloaded. Think about how much it would take to support 2 or 3 of the most popular online games. Especially now with source, even more games coming out on steam, supporting that many is a pain. So i give valve and steam alot of leeway.
    I met one of you at best buy... But I don't know who. I need to make myself a sig soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast