Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pre-purchase NS2?

Quote Originally Posted by Flayra: January 16th, 2005 | NaturalSelection.com
    We're not announcing that we're doing this, but it's something I'm thinking about.

The idea here is to raise seed money for development. There are investors and publishers that are interested in NS2, but because we're still in the early stage of development, they would take a large percentage of the company or profits.

Getting funded by the community means a greater chance of us deciding when we ship (instead of a publisher doing so), and also means we would keep more of the profits and retain control over our company, enabling us to make better games in the future.

We will still probably need help from investors and a publisher, but the idea is to wait as long as possible before doing so. The more of the game we have done when we talk to them, the less risky it is for them, and the better deal we'll ultimately get.

Notes:
    - Assume NS2 would have cutting edge single-player and multi-player play in large-scale diverse environments.
    - We couldn't guarantee that the game would ever come out. There is always risk associated with creating software and games, but hopefully we've shown you with NS that when we put our mind to creating something, we'll do whatever it takes to ship it.
    - Assume that pre-purchasing the game now would cost you $25, and that the game would cost around $55 or $60 when it was released.
    - Assume you would receive the game in electronic download format (ie, no box), though there's a possibility we would send out physical copies (we would probably have to raise the price to $30 or so or limit it to United States and Canada in this case).
    - Assume it would have the following system requirements (this is a prediction, not definite):
    * 2.0 GHz Processor
    * 256MB RAM
    * DirectX 7 capable graphics card (128mb)
    * Windows 2000/XP/ME/98
    * Mouse
    * Keyboard
    * 56k+ Internet Connection
    Well just an update of the NS site, what do you guys think of this?
    Oyee

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Pre-purchase NS2?

I would pre-purchase NS2 in a mouse click.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I probably would too, but nowhere is there an entry that says anything like:

- Assume that the game will be released in the Fall of 200X.

I know that it's hard to set a date this far in advance, but the game could literally be 4 years away. It would be nice to have an idea.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

damnit viper you beat me to it.

200X.. hmmm, i dont think its ever coming. well not until the code gets leaked and all that other good stuff which puts it off for another 2 years, yada yada.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the code for NS2 on my hard drive. I'm creating the torrent now.

And I read your email.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flayra is calling for action:

Quote Originally Posted by Flayra
    So, if you had the ability to use Paypal or a credit card to pre-purchase NS2 now (for around $25) would you do so? Please e-mail me your thoughts, or respond in this poll.
    Feel free to participate.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What he mentions a little ways down is that this isn't just a pre-purchase. It's an investment. If UWE goes under or NS2 doesn't see the light of day, your money is gone. That's why I wouldn't do this unless some more concrete information is released, like a confirmed publisher for starters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can't run the risk of losing $25, this is probably a bad thing to pursue anyway. And no, that's not a comment of people being cheap. I remember when $25 was an excessive amount to risk on anything for myself, so please flame elsewhere.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

way to ruin the release for us all wyz!

but i agree with zek. he would probably have more people donate if they knew things that promised a release.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jackel
    way to ruin the release for us all wyz!

but i agree with zek. he would probably have more people donate if they knew things that promised a release.

Oh ya, if i knew there was going to be a release, id do it, but since i dont i dont think im going to...

But 60 bucks, thats a hella lot o money... A hella lot... Dont know if ima be able to get it, with my Harley payments and all...
    Oyee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, all of us have played Ns for free since it came out. These guys created a great game for us and we never had to give them anything in return...except our time.

So I think that investing 25 $ is something we can afford. We mostly have high end computer/gear etc...

just my thoughts.
    ''I'm on a mission from god''

-Elwood Blues

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyzcrak
    Feel free to participate.
    Done. Page 13. I'll be depending on the TG NS forums to let me know when to contribute...

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality
    Done. Page 13.
    lol.. and the Ubisoft range lives on...

Nice post. I've sure we'll continue to discuss progress here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyzcrak
    lol.. and the Ubisoft range lives on...

Nice post. I've sure we'll continue to discuss progress here.
    I've only bought a couple of Ubi games, and every time I swear I'll never give them money again, and a year later, they purchase the rights to the next "game of the year" and I find myself thinking about buying from them again...

I despise them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality
    I've only bought a couple of Ubi games, and every time I swear I'll never give them money again, and a year later, they purchase the rights to the next "game of the year" and I find myself thinking about buying from them again...

I despise them
    lol that's funny because I actually work for Ubisoft as a sound engineer. And really... I agree with you. We also despise them but they keep payin us so...
    They bought us clearance sunglasses for christmas!
    ''I'm on a mission from god''

-Elwood Blues