Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laptop CPU upgrade question

I don't know much about hardware, but I have researched my particular laptop's configuration (http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.aspx?i=1679&p=1) and have read a guide on how to upgrade (http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10163_7....html?tag=bnav)

In the upgrade guide, it lists the Pentium M laptop processor. I would like to get this but am unsure if there are compatibility issues. My current computer is the Compaq Presario 900 1500+, a Radeon IGP notebook powered by a Mobile Athlon XP 1500+ processor. Would I be able to install the Pentium M?

Thanks in advance,
    very respectfully,
    Larry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Laptop CPU upgrade question

I'm no expert on pc's, but I dont think you can switch form an AMD to an INTEL cpu.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah you're right. I'm also asking this in another forum, so here is my follow up question

"Hm, is there a CPU similar in performance that would work?

Such as this?
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-490&depa=1"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can't really upgrade laptop cpu's, your best bet is to buy a new laptop, but if your a gamer then why not get a desktop?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The A64 chip would not work. Your notebook CPU socket is different plus I doubt that the motherboard chip supports the A64. Try something in the Athlon XP range.
    JO Guides & Tutorials
    Team Element - It's who you game with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uniacid
    you can't really upgrade laptop cpu's, your best bet is to buy a new laptop, but if your a gamer then why not get a desktop?

OMG, whatever..... in everything but the OLDEST laptops, the chips are in ZIF's and are COMPLETELY upgradable unless the motherboard is already maxed out on multiplier/fsb..... come on, make sure you have the facts before you tell someone to toss a computer and spend 1000 more on a new one.

I had the same laptop and upgraded it from a 1500+ to a 2600+. He has pm'ed me about it already, and I think I have satisfactorily answered his question.

as for the upgrading question in general, computer companies are in a crunch to make a buck. the more configurable on set up is, the better. that means one chassis will hold 2 or 3 motherboards (hard to find and swap out though) each mobo will hold 4-20 cpu's, the cdrom are interchangeable, sometimes, even the vid card is modular, though proprietary and not "upgradeable, the company has 2 or 3 vid cards that snap in the same mobo.. the LCD is upgradable, the hdd, the mem, the modem/wireless/lan, everything in a modern laptop has an alternative part in todays market... how else can they make money from a 700 laptop?

while most of the parts are all but impossible to get, many are easily upgradable.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

I am lost, if you know where I am then please feel free to tell me.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Gaming Laptop Question:swaping video card

Ekk, first post is trying to sell something, its in the wrong forum and he double posted... bad bad bad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry sheesh, I was thinking he wanted to upgrade to an A64 cpu, which he can't since he has the amd xp mobile

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is English a second language for you? I'm being serious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The wireless network card is in the mini-PCI slot. Also, the laptop does not allow switching of video cards.

If you're considering or own the M6809/M6810, it's more than adequate for gaming. I ran HL2 on there smoothly at 1280x800. Just don't expect to game while running on batteries.
    JO Guides & Tutorials

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by _Ender_
    Ekk, first post is trying to sell something, its in the wrong forum and he double posted... bad bad bad
    Huh ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CS_POW_Hackerman1976
    so sarc will a emchines be good for gaming or not ?
    which model?
    JO Guides & Tutorials

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uniacid

ok, I read this as "you have a 1500+.... this is what the computer will die with..... it cannot be upgraded. get a new laptop....."

that's what this looks like to me... I see nothing of A64 from mobile XP.....

all I ask is that you make sure you know for a fact or say "I'm not sure but I think..."

and that you make what you are saying implicitly clear.... you are giving advice to people who sometimes know absolutely nothing about computers, and misinformation can cost a lot of money. If you were looking to upgrade the cpu in your laptop, someone told you it was impossible, you dropped 1000+ on a new one, then found out you could have doubled its performance for 200...... wouldn't you be ticked?
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any of the emachine m68XX will be fine for gaming..... no, the vid card is not upgradeable. the proc and mem is. someone move this thread please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by =DdogG=
    someone move this thread please.
    Move it where? I'm thoroughly confused... Ender complains of someone double posting and selling something. I don't see anything for sale and the thread is in the right forum, IMO. You don't want this in the hardware/software forum for some reason?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast