Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice on buying a tv

I'm shopping for a 42"ish plasma or lcd tv and know nothing about what features to look for. If anyone has any knowledge on the subject I'd appreciate some guidance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Advice on buying a tv

All I know is that you have too much money and need to give some to me. :P

NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off, make sure you're getting an HDTV.. :-) Something with an OTA (Over the Air) HDTV tuner would be best as it will eliminate any requirements of you buying an external HDTV receiver.

Are you looking for a flatscreen TV?

I would also suggest going widescreen. There's nothing quite like watching a DVD or movie off HBOHD on a nice big widescreen HDTV.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

43452045524748454146204742204754202d204642424121

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Apophis
    First off, make sure you're getting an HDTV.. :-) Something with an OTA (Over the Air) HDTV tuner would be best as it will eliminate any requirements of you buying an external HDTV receiver.

Are you looking for a flatscreen TV?

I would also suggest going widescreen. There's nothing quite like watching a DVD or movie off HBOHD on a nice big widescreen HDTV.
    Definitely good advice, IMO. I haven't got the fundage to get the TV that I want yet, but HDTV is a must. I think that all networks are supposed to be broadcasting in HD by now, but I also think that they're behind schedule. Which doesn't really matter as the HDTV market hasn't really dropped to the right price point yet.

Widescreen? Definitely. I don't understand why anyone buys those silly Pan&Scan DVDs... Bring the bigscreen into your home!

I've heard that Mitsubishi makes some fine televisions. I'm usually not one to recommend buying products made by a foreign country, but sometimes you have to in order to get the quality that you want.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You remember my TV/theatre system from the bash, right Cing? :-) I'm pretty big on the whole home theatre thing. After going to widescreen I can't possibly think of anyone buying a new TV with a 4:3 aspect ratio... Geh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pokerface
    All I know is that you have too much money and need to give some to me. :P
    My parents have too much money and have asked me to help them shop for this. They're remodeling their kitchen/family room and I've talked them out of building a cabinet around their existing old-school tv and buying a new one instead - probably cheaper and it won't look dated in 5 years.

I can't get permission to spend 30 minutes online playing games any more, much less dropping that sort of coin on a television.

Apo and Cing - yes absolutely hdtv and widescreen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Apophis
    You remember my TV/theatre system from the bash, right Cing? :-) I'm pretty big on the whole home theatre thing. After going to widescreen I can't possibly think of anyone buying a new TV with a 4:3 aspect ratio... Geh.
    Yes, I do... I believe I was most impressed with your satellite rcvr, but that was probably due to my job at the time...

Your TV was a projection TV, though, wasn't it? And although I've noticed HUGE advances in the visibility of projection TVs for viewers not sitting directly in front of the screen, I'm still not pleased with that aspect of them... Of course jumping up to LCD or Plasma means big $$$...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality
    Yes, I do... I believe I was most impressed with your satellite rcvr, but that was probably due to my job at the time...

Your TV was a projection TV, though, wasn't it? And although I've noticed HUGE advances in the visibility of projection TVs for viewers not sitting directly in front of the screen, I'm still not pleased with that aspect of them... Of course jumping up to LCD or Plasma means big $$$...
    Yeah, it is an LCD rear projection HDTV. The biggest drawback is the visibility of the TV based on your angle of viewing, but with the model I have it's more of an issue with the veritcal angle rather than horizontal. You can be to the side of the TV and still see it very clearly, but if the TV is elevated and you're well below it, it gets harder to see.

At the time I got it, it was around $6,000. Although the prices on them now are down to around $2,000.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leejo
    My parents have too much money and have asked me to help them shop for this. They're remodeling their kitchen/family room and I've talked them out of building a cabinet around their existing old-school tv and buying a new one instead - probably cheaper and it won't look dated in 5 years.

I can't get permission to spend 30 minutes online playing games any more, much less dropping that sort of coin on a television.

Apo and Cing - yes absolutely hdtv and widescreen.
    Flat panel or no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

flat panel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Recommendations:

Pioneer PDP-4340-HD 43" Flat Screen Plasma ($3,500 Approx)
    Manufacturers Site

Sony Wega KF-42WE610 42" Flat Screen LCD ($2,000 Approx)
    Vendor Site

These are both for flat panel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was doing the research for my basement finish and I have decided that front projectors are the way to go. Even for your parents family room they may be able to build in an electric screen to hide it when not in use, and it can be as small as a 30" picture and as big as BIG.

In my opinion, for $2-3k you get a 4:3 or 16:9 (selectable) HDTV compatible, up to 1600x1200 resolution, DLP tech, and for me the kicker is to plug in the PC....oh yeah.

I've been wathcing these:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...746559580&rd=1
    New to TG? Start here!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by USN_Squid
    I was doing the research for my basement finish and I have decided that front projectors are the way to go. Even for your parents family room they may be able to build in an electric screen to hide it when not in use, and it can be as small as a 30" picture and as big as BIG.

In my opinion, for $2-3k you get a 4:3 or 16:9 (selectable) HDTV compatible, up to 1600x1200 resolution, DLP tech, and for me the kicker is to plug in the PC....oh yeah.

I've been wathcing these:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...746559580&rd=1
    If I had the space to do front projection and the appropriate layout, I would definitely go this route. Since you seem to be looking at refinishing your basement, you've got the advantage when it comes to laying something like this out properly. I'm jealous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a roommate with a projection tv and the washout was unbelievable. Is that still an issue? In any case, I think that approach is a non-starter for them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast