User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arresting children - aged 9 and 10 - for drawing a picture

Students Arrested Over 'Violent' Stick Figure Drawings

So two special ed students, 9 and 10 years old, were arresed for "Pictures (that) Show Classmate Being Stabbed, Hung"

First of all, people are "hanged", not "hung", unless you're talking about Marky Mark in Boogie Nights.

Second of all, isn't it odd that spanking the living crap out of a little bastard is totally beyond the pale but hauling him off to jail for drawing a picture is now policy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Arresting children - aged 9 and 10 - for drawing a picture

I agree that the response was ridiculously disproportionate, but these weren't 'just drawings.' Without knowing if the report is accurate, just going on what it says is still serious. These kids *appear* to have been threatening lethal violence. Worth being arrested for?... not in my view... but if true, than these kids definitely earned some severe *school* discipline.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leejo
    First of all, people are "hanged", not "hung", unless you're talking about Marky Mark in Boogie Nights.
    LOL @ that!

The fact that it followed your own typo was a nice touch, too. haha
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's "parents" and lawyers that are causing this problem (the problem being kids are being arrested at school for offenses that used to be handled in other ways). Since I've been working at the Dallas County Jail, I've seen numerous 17 yr old kids brought in with bloody noses and torn shirts, booked in for assault, convicted and sentenced to time served plus community service. These kids are getting violent adult criminal convictions for getting into a schoolyard scrap!
    Granted, times have changed and gangs and more serious offenses are much more common in our schools, but c'mon... A little bit of discretion needs to be used by these school administrators!

I suppose if you're the principal and you use that discretion and the parents fail to respond appropriately, time after time, you'd eventually give up and simply call the police, too...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First parents abdicate their responsibilities and dump them on the schools. Now schools are abdicating their responsibilities (and are having their authority stripped away) and are dumping them on the police.

Not good, not good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

woah, now that's just something worth reading...........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone keeps screaming at schools do do something about the "out-of-control school violence," which is such a statistical anomaly when compared with other violent crimes it's laughable. Then they start doing something and they get bitched at some more.

If you want to blame someone blame the media for giving so much media attention to the subject, and stupid parents for believing everything they see on TV.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah well packing 2 special ed kids off to jail for drawing a picture? Dude....we're talking short bus kids here. Aged 9 and 10.

I'm not blaming anyone, but there is a growing culture of buck-passing, which is how I interpret this matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow... I missed the special ed detail. If these kids are slow (whether it's just smarts or mental disabilities) then this seems even *more* insane. This is clearly a school problem (since it happened in school) but equally a parent problem. No reason to involve the cops until an actual crime has or is about to commence.

These are little kids for crying out loud! *shakes fist in general direction of the dumbass school*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirfee
    I agree that the response was ridiculously disproportionate, but these weren't 'just drawings.' Without knowing if the report is accurate, just going on what it says is still serious. These kids *appear* to have been threatening lethal violence. Worth being arrested for?... not in my view... but if true, than these kids definitely earned some severe *school* discipline.

yes its OTT but it may be just the right thing. spark a little fear of the law into them. if they are guilty of the alledged threats then its pretty serious.

less than a year ago a 13 or 14 year old named luke something was stabbed by a pupil in his class over an argument at school.

it is a threat these days as much as it is unbelievable to you, it is a real threat even as young as 10.

a pupil at primary school, aged 8 was caught with a hunting knife in school where my mum works. a small one but its a knife.

www.TeamElement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality
    I think it's "parents" and lawyers that are causing this problem (the problem being kids are being arrested at school for offenses that used to be handled in other ways). Since I've been working at the Dallas County Jail, I've seen numerous 17 yr old kids brought in with bloody noses and torn shirts, booked in for assault, convicted and sentenced to time served plus community service. These kids are getting violent adult criminal convictions for getting into a schoolyard scrap!
    Granted, times have changed and gangs and more serious offenses are much more common in our schools, but c'mon... A little bit of discretion needs to be used by these school administrators!

I suppose if you're the principal and you use that discretion and the parents fail to respond appropriately, time after time, you'd eventually give up and simply call the police, too...

sorry i have to disagree, schools these days have been stripped of all their power, even threats to expell pupils fall on death ears because noone does get expelled any more. a friend of mine was bullied heavily i school and the only thing that stopped it was the intervention of the police.

www.TeamElement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leejo
    Yeah well packing 2 special ed kids off to jail for drawing a picture? Dude....we're talking short bus kids here. Aged 9 and 10.

I'm not blaming anyone, but there is a growing culture of buck-passing, which is how I interpret this matter.
    And I agree with you. Not two years ago in Texas a high school senior was suspended for having a used butter knife in the bed of his pickup after it being left in there when he used his truck to haul food for donation.

School are considered "no tolerance." Parents and politicians helped make the situation as bad as it is. Cutting these kids slack because they have mental problems would be considered "tolerance." Hence, administrators and police have to act in the ways they do.

See where the stupid begins and where it never ends?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, well I'll share a little story thats off-topic but similar.

Some of you have met my apparently "chatty" 11 year old son on CS:Source as he usually plays earlier in the evening on the TG server as he enjoys the PCS play.

Anyway, a year or so of playing CS/GR/AA has given him a good appreciation of weapons and the astonishing abillity to identify on site almost any sidearm/rifle/shotgun what have you, including caliber, capacity.

So, I was away and my wife takes him up to the mall at Xmas time, and the local Police Tac Unit is there with all their hardware, dressed in full kevlar and "ready to kill".

My son Nick is blown away apparently, and waits in line to see them to talk to them.

Well, he gets up to the counter and begins ooohing and awing the rifles etc. including MP5's, sniper rifle, Sig's, shotguns etc. asks the one cop if he's carrying a Sig Sauer, and the other one what model is that Glock has he got in his holster. He also was asking them what they think of the MP5, the M3, the HK sniper rifle they had there.

The cop is totally FREAKED OUT by my sons knowledge of weapons, and begins questioning him about if he's seen these weapons anywhere else and who is he etc. etc. as most of these weapons are not public domain here in Canada.

My wife had to spend half an hour to calm the cops down, and probably avert my house being searched.

HAAAAA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GhostintheShell
    Ok, well I'll share a little story thats off-topic but similar.

Some of you have met my apparently "chatty" 11 year old son on CS:Source as he usually plays earlier in the evening on the TG server as he enjoys the PCS play.

Anyway, a year or so of playing CS/GR/AA has given him a good appreciation of weapons and the astonishing abillity to identify on site almost any sidearm/rifle/shotgun what have you, including caliber, capacity.

So, I was away and my wife takes him up to the mall at Xmas time, and the local Police Tac Unit is there with all their hardware, dressed in full kevlar and "ready to kill".

My son Nick is blown away apparently, and waits in line to see them to talk to them.

Well, he gets up to the counter and begins ooohing and awing the rifles etc. including MP5's, sniper rifle, Sig's, shotguns etc. asks the one cop if he's carrying a Sig Sauer, and the other one what model is that Glock has he got in his holster. He also was asking them what they think of the MP5, the M3, the HK sniper rifle they had there.

The cop is totally FREAKED OUT by my sons knowledge of weapons, and begins questioning him about if he's seen these weapons anywhere else and who is he etc. etc. as most of these weapons are not public domain here in Canada.

My wife had to spend half an hour to calm the cops down, and probably avert my house being searched.

HAAAAA.
    sorry but i would be more worried had the cop not said a damn thing. it is uncommon for a child to know so much about weapons, whilst totally innocent, i would still expect the police officer to ask questions.

questions, whilst an inconvinience did not hurt anyone.

www.TeamElement.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast