Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Thread: Linux/server?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Linux/server?

Im getting a crapy computer, and i was thinking, should i convert it into a server, or into a linux box...

If i go server, where would i start, and what would i do?

If i go Linux, what distro should i use?
    Oyee

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Linux/server?

Quote Originally Posted by Black_V!per
    Im getting a crapy computer, and i was thinking, should i convert it into a server, or into a linux box...

If i go server, where would i start, and what would i do?

If i go Linux, what distro should i use?
    Linux is a lot of fun to play around with.. As for the distributions, I would recommend RedHat. The most recent release for home/end users is called the Fedora Project and available for free download on the RedHat site. The last production workstation release before Fedora was RedHat9. I primarily use RedHat9 on any of the machines I set up for my own personal/work use.

The TG web site, teamspeak and a couple other servers run off RedHat Enterprise.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

43452045524748454146204742204754202d204642424121

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard tell that Mandrake Linux is easier to learn than Red Hat for first time Linux users.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheFeniX
    I've heard tell that Mandrake Linux is easier to learn than Red Hat for first time Linux users.
    True, BUT....Mandrake's team does alot of things to the Linux Kernel and applications that can cause you some pretty massive headaches later on. So it's a place to start, but most people that want to use linux move on pretty quickly from there.

My current fave is Ubuntu. It's not necessarily newbie friendly, but it is lightweight, easy to manage, and is very tightly integrated. Overall impression is something like "yeah, they got it right."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always like the idea of Ubuntu. Plus, it's one of the few distros that comes on one disk.

I'm personally running Gentoo. It has a lot of documentation. The handbook goes over step-by-step to install it and the basics of Portage (package management system). After installation, the forums is a wealth of information on how to get programs running. I just lurk on the forums because I never really need to ask a question since it's already been answered.
    JO Guides & Tutorials
    Team Element - It's who you game with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So its nay with the gaming server ehh?

I was going to try RedHat, I did play around with PHLAK, and one of them other one disk distros... And did have Suse, but since i couldnt get HL2 working with it i went back to Windows...

But since its just a crummy computer, ill just download that last version of RedHat...

Did they ever say why they're charging???
    Oyee