Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Open mic night in the house of furin

Ok, I need some help from you guys (and gals). I'm considering the thought of going out and buying a mic for use on the TG servers. Any suggestions on a good one that is clear but doesn't pick up all kinds of background noise? I've found that I can't really communicate with the team during heated firefights using the keyboard. Well, I can, but some of you guys still haven't learned that "aADD !!! alslslj" means "enemy spotted, I have them pinned down, can someone please come assist me? I'm over here by (insert bomb site, hostage location)". Since so many of you haven't figured this out yet, I tend to become the victim of a brutal beat down shortly there-after.

So, any suggestions? The cheaper the better, I'm on a budget and being a paid member here is already taking up half my grocery money for the month!

~furin
    You guys really should learn furinotics, the shorthand of CS:S bullet biters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Open mic night in the house of furin

i use a wal-mart bought logitech headset... it wraps around the back of your head instead of over the top... very comfortable...under 15 bucks i think... or right at..
    only draw back is if you dont want to use the earphones to hear(i dont).. they'll stil be there.. just dont plug them in.. it still fits great.. and i think everyone can hear me just fine...
    -'~-,~-'~-Essence-Of-Judas-,~-~'-~,-
    "Real Me Scout"
    Pronunciation: 'skaut
    Etymology: from Middle French escouter to listen,
    1 : to explore an area to obtain information (as about an enemy)
    2 : to observe in order to obtain information or evaluate
    3 : to use rifle and pick off opposition
    4 : to watch for openings in defense for bomb run
    5 : headshot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hrm, yeah the headphones would not be needed. I like the headset idea but don't want something covering my ears :O . Are the phones small, as in- if you let them rest above/behind/infront of the ears will they become a bother?

~furin
    What's that you say? Speak into my good ear sunny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by furin
    Hrm, yeah the headphones would not be needed. I like the headset idea but don't want something covering my ears :O . Are the phones small, as in- if you let them rest above/behind/infront of the ears will they become a bother?

~furin
    What's that you say? Speak into my good ear sunny.

thats what i do.. just a little above.. and it feels fine to me.. : )

i have to go check on my store and see if everything is alright.. and get some eat on

ill be back tonight.. if you havent bought them yet.. let me know.. i'll take a pic and send it to you on how they look!...
    "Real Me Scout"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

actually.. i forgot.. i have a secound par.. cause i "lost" the first par i bought before i even used them... so i bought a secound par.. started using them.. and then "found' the first set i bought DOH.. someone was cleaning my hosue one day and threw it away.. it was still in package.. wtf!!!..

n-e-ways.. i could fed-ex it to you.. i have an account there.. for work
    "Real Me Scout"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a simple desk-mounted stick microphone, made by Creative. I looked quick for a picture but I wasn't able to find one. It's probably the cheapest thing you can buy. I assume you can find it or something like it in the electronics section. In terms of quality, I don't know as I've never listened to myself talk on it I haven't gotten any complaints though so I assume it works well.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are a couple threads in the hardware discussion forum about headsets.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showthr...hlight=headset
    http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showthr...hlight=headset

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best mic I've found it a standalone one made by logitech found here:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=8556
    Twisted Firestarter
    a.k.a |TG| Harkonian

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use Plantronics earbuds (which don't cover my ears but do pay my fellow gamers the very REAL service that IS a headset) with a mic and volume control on the wire. You'd think that wouldn't work out well, but I've been nothing but pleased.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input guys. I'm not much for the stand-alone mics so I took Judas' advice and picked up the logitech headset from walmart last night. Too bad that once I got it plugged in it didn't work . After my gaming session last night I decided to go through the settings one more time and while looking at my DS5.1 settings I found that for some reason my subwoofer was listed as using my MIC port as well. After changing that little setting my mic now works! Now I just have to see if it works in game.

~furin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://store.yahoo.com/directron/mic-jus-clip.html

Flawless quality when used via Skype. Got it free when I bought my sound card (directron does stupid things like that). They have since sold out, but

http://store.yahoo.com/directron/compaqmic.html

that will work just fine. You'll pay more on shipping than anything. Remember, a microphone is just a speaker set to input rather than output. Sometimes simplicity is best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you guys really have to consider the positive aspects of a good headset turned up just the right amount.

If I seem to know where people are coming, it isn't a wallhack folks, its the headset combined with you guys' and your "thunder boots" running everywhere in the maps.

I can hear you throught the walls, around the corners...
    Thump, thump, thump...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a handheld microphone. I have to lay it down in fron of me and lean over to talk. That's why I don't use it. So, I'd say if you get anything, just make sure it'll be accessable while playing.

Headphones in general are a nice addition, even if they don't have the mic attached.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GhostintheShell
    I think you guys really have to consider the positive aspects of a good headset turned up just the right amount.

If I seem to know where people are coming, it isn't a wallhack folks, its the headset combined with you guys' and your "thunder boots" running everywhere in the maps.

I can hear you throught the walls, around the corners...
    Thump, thump, thump...
    Yep, my wife won't let me turn my surround sound speakers up loud enough to have the same advantage, so headphones are essential, IMO...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Re: Open mic night in the house of furin

Ayup... I am using some of those big DJ headphones where it blocks out all other noise in my room. This helps with footsteps, and grenades, etc... I have a big fan on my computer, for added cooling purposes as to not lag in game, and my speakers don't do the footstep job for me. Therefore, I have this headset. It really does help on locating enemies, although when they are behind you, it kinda confuses you. And I turn them around backwards sometimes, and that gets to be REALLY confusing... "He's at b" BLAM... I die at a... lol

But, as far as the headset goes, one of my best friends of about 9 years now uses the headset that wraps around the back of your head with the mic pertruding from the left speaker. I've used them, and they work wonders. Very comfortable, very lightwieght. You can hardly even notice they're there half the time.

I've used several different mics, and several different headsets... you don't want something too small, as it will get lost or broken, I'm sure. And IMO, I would NEVER use a stand-alone, because I lean back and play CS in my comfortable, yet sometimes painful after 6 hours of CS, computer chair. It really all just depends on how you sit, and how close you are to the computer screen/desk the mic would sit on.

As for me though, I'm broke, so I'm stuck with these headphones. I've learned all of the zxc commands in CS almost, and they come in handy a LOT of the time. Most of you who play with me know this.

Well... that's my 2 cents.

-Mom
    Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast