Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was Downsized Today

I was downsized today from an IT job I had been at for 7 years. I was called into the VP of Human Resources' office today and there sits my manager and his manager. I knew I was in trouble. I was told that my job was being eliminated due to restructuring. It happened this morning at around 8:00 a.m. Eastern and I still can't believe it. I was so focused on getting out of there that I forgot my severence package information.

One of the things that chaps my a$$ is that, so far, one of the people they kept was my counterpart and he's only been there for a little over a year but doesn't know half the stuff I do. They said it was nothing personal. Like they would tell me anyway. And then proceeded to tell me how much of a pleasure it was to work with me. For some reason that didn't seem sincere.

The little bit of justice that I may get is that there were a couple things that I implemented and I was the only one in the company that knew how they worked. I am thinking of two things that I will say if and when they call. Either 'Go screw yourself(unless it is my manager, then I'll say 'I'm sorry, I don't remember')' or 'Sure I'll help you....for $125/hour with a minimum of 1 hour.' OH, did that sound bitter?

So now I have three months to find an IT job, in a location where there aren't many IT jobs, or I have to start collecting unemployment which isn't nearly what I make. Or find a non-IT job for probably less than I used to make. I guess if it pays the bills, why complain.

Oh well, I know there are worse things that could of happened. But it still sucks because I was the primary source of income.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: I was Downsized Today

Sorry to hear that man.
    That kinda hits home because I'm presently looking for a job in IT. I think being just north of Atlanta may work in my favor.
    Good luck.

[tg-c1][conduct]

Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, just wow. Its a pita when they make those decisions. Did they give you a timeframe, or just say the THIS is your last day?
    USAR

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post your qualifications; maybe someone here knows of an opening somewhere near you. My company's all over the damn place; I'll keep my eye out.

NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pokerface
    Post your qualifications; maybe someone here knows of an opening somewhere near you. My company's all over the damn place; I'll keep my eye out.
    Sending you a PM

[tg-c1][conduct]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

damn, that really sucks. I'm not really old enough to have experienced that but I have from a third party perspective as my dad has been laid off quite a few times, one of them made us move before they laid him off. Anyways he's now the VP of Best software (http://www.bestsoftware.com/) So I guess I'm trying to say hang in there and good things can happen. Good Luck man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a link for anyone that may be interested in hiring:

http://killermcd.com/resume.htm

Thanks for the suggestion Pokerface. And thanks to the rest of you for posting your sympathy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of us have been through this. Hang in there.

Three quick suggestions about your resume - I did some recruiting while bouncing around jobs after a layoff -

1) eliminate the words in it that judge yourself. If you have cisco experience, say you have cisco experience, don't say you have "some" cisco experience. Let the potential employer judge whether or not you have sufficient cisco experience for their particular needs.

2) in your bulleted items connect the actions and technologies to the business result. Try to use a little more detail. For example, don't say "...to meet company information needs" say "to support Channel Marketing Project" or "to process fulfillment requests for doodads". What happens is that some doodad manufacturer's recruiter or a Channel Marketing person searches for doodads or Channel Marketing and your resume pops up.

3) You list Kronos in the bulleted list but it didn't make it to the list of technologies. You may want to do some thinking about all the little apps you've touched. If something is in your list at the bottom, make sure there's a bulleted item above that shows how you've used it.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the pointers, Leejo. I will adjust accordingly.

Regarding your suggestion on getting more specific on the programming, the only issue I have is that I really can't pinpoint it to a particular application. I wrote code for different modules of the ERP package plus wrote some of my own stuff not related to the ERP package. I'm not sure how to express that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me give you something to think about. The average length of employment in the usa last about 5 years. In the 1950's the average employment was 25 years. So what does that mean? We have to change our outlook on our jobs. OK OK you get my point I hope.
    If you really what to be happy find a family own business that been around aleast 30years. You won't be rich but you might find the 25 to 30 year employment you are looking for. Just something to think about

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scooper
    Sending you a PM
    Scooper wins the "Oddest Damn PM I've Ever Received" Award. :-)

NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, I am partly to blame for this. I know hindsight is 20/20 but about two years ago things started to change. I couldn't put my finger on it but I didn't like the way it was changing. I should have jumped ship on my own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pokerface
    Scooper wins the "Oddest Damn PM I've Ever Received" Award. :-)
    LOL, I sent you a second one titled "oops".
    Thanx for the award... I'll hang it next to my "world class dumbass" award.

[tg-c1][conduct]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel for you Killer.. I was in the same boat for about a year and a half. I only recently picked up a great full time job in the computer/network/system security arena. That was a tough year and a half, let me tell ya..

I hope things work out for you, I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

43452045524748454146204742204754202d204642424121

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that sucks... I don't know what else to say.

You might check out www.usajobs.opm.gov It's not too late to change careers. I don't know how much you were making, but I'm in the second year of my new career and I'm making more money than I ever have in my life and I thoroughly enjoy my job. There are other many federal jobs available at that link, some are IT related, too! You probably won't be downsized from a federal job, you've got regular advancement and annual payraises, and a guaranteed retirement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast