Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

map idea, what ya think

Ok guys, I have an idea for a map / scenario that I'm considering making. Before I spend the weeks/months making the map I'd like to know if it'd be worth it and if the idea is any good or if it's total crap (I don't mind you saying it's crap, but if you do please give some ideas on how it can be improved).

I'm considering making a map where the CT's start out with the hostages. The T's start out at the hostage rescue spot. Kinda like a reverse bomb plant I guess you could say. The CT's would be responsible for moving the hostages (probably just 2 instead of 4 to make it a little easier to keep track of them during fire fights) across the map to the safe spot. I'm thinking 2 'hostage return' spots that are fairly close together. This will allow the T's to guard both locations and then be able to respond fairly quickly to the other site if need be. There would also be a ton of cover and at least 6 different routes to the return spots. The idea is to force the CT team to stick together and employ techniques such as 'move and cover' (one guy moves to next piece of cover while the rest of the team ensures he doesn't get wasted, then the next guy moves, leapfrogging their way to the site) and scouting to see which route would be the safest.

So, that's the basic thought. What do you guys think? Would you enjoy that kind of game play? Or has this been done elsewhere?

~furin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: map idea, what ya think

That's almost like an as_ (assassination) map, which I think would be a far better choice than what you're suggesting. As is, your idea would mostly lead to deathmatch I'd think.

But a CSS as_ map would be most welcome! Get on it!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus
    But a CSS as_ map would be most welcome! Get on it!!
    I'll second that. Does a player get (or have) to be the VIP in CS? I rather enjoyed being the umbrella-wielding fat man in HLDM....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we should create a new kind of map style called PCS_mapname. This employs that it requires PCS tactics!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hrm, never played an assasination map so I can't compare. You are right about the possibility of becoming an all out deathmatch though. Although I do think that if it was played by the TG regulars or possibly on a members only server that we could keep it tactical. Guess it could really go either way.

Vulcan's post is what I was trying to shoot far. A map that would fit in well with TG and the PCS system. Something that would promote team work more than the standard bomb plant / hostage rescue maps. Plus, a little variety would be nice.

~furin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, in as_ maps, one player controls the VIP. He has only a pistol, but extra armor and health. Very cool if you ask me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would definitely like to see an as_map in our rotation!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An as map would be awesome.
    My thinking right off would be to put him in a room with a destructable door or boards.
    The defending team tries to keep the Assassins out.
    The Assassins need to infiltrate the defenses, break through the door and kill the VIP.
    Even an opening door would be good. That way a defender could camp the room without having to break in.

Maybe a boarded window and vent access too...

Cool! When's it gonna be ready?

[tg-c1][conduct]

Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slightly off topic.

What if you made a map (de, cs, as, whatever) that had separate ready rooms (think NS) for the T and CT forces. In each room the players could discuss any plans they might have. The ready rooms would have doorways or portals that would lead to different parts of the map. The defensive team might only have one portal but the offensive team could have two or three or more depending on the size of the map. The round would start after every player has left the ready room.

I don't know if all of that is possible (having the round start when all players have exited the rooms) but I think at the very least the CT and T teams could spawn in ready rooms with such portals.

This would overcome some of the limitations that the PCS rules try to fix (knowing exactly where the offensive team will start from). I think it would be more interesting as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it seems like you guys all have your hearts set on an AS_ map.

*cry*

I'm so heartbroken.

Ah well, looks like I'll be finding a new way to spend my time instead of map making. Perhaps I can play some more CS:S in hopes of one day not sucking. Or possibly have that head shrinking surgery I'm so desperately in need of.

~furin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make an as_ map! It's just what you're talking about, except instead of transporting hostages, you are transporting a VIP. Other than that, they're exactly the same!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by furin
    Well, it seems like you guys all have your hearts set on an AS_ map.

*cry*

I'm so heartbroken.

Ah well, looks like I'll be finding a new way to spend my time instead of map making. Perhaps I can play some more CS:S in hopes of one day not sucking. Or possibly have that head shrinking surgery I'm so desperately in need of.

~furin
    An as_map is almost exactly what you originally proposed! It forces the defensive team to provide a mobile defense. I'd like to see an as_map done in an urban environment with square blocks that would allow for a LOT of variety in movement with few chokepoints. I know not many of you have played JointOps, but something like the urban map that Apo made would be very cool. Lots of shoot 'n move, cover fire, etc...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fine fine. IF your going to FORCE the issue I'll try my hand at one of these types of maps. :P

Please feel free to post any suggestions on theme / layout of the map. You guys have experience with them so any input that would help me to make something enjoyable for us would be great. You can also PM me your ideas or email me directly at [email protected] (you can also visit my site 'www.imageofself.com' and use the contact form on there).

I'd also like to have a couple of ppl willing to play test it during different stages of development. My plan is to make something that is engaging to the teams and that hopefully could make it into the TG map rotation.

~furin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A also think making it a true assassination map with player-controlled VIP would be ideal (if its possible in source). If you try to make it a hostage map you will be fighting against the hostage AI the whole time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure I can find a way to make a user controlled VIP. I may have to create CS:S version 2.0 in the process, but I'll find a way.

hrm, CS:S v2.0.. sounds good. I could also implement a small head mod for my toon since his is obviously non-propurtional to his body. It's like a watermellon (head) sitting on top of a hot dog (body).

~furin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast