Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Membership and Auto-Kick...

Now, I have no room to complain, as I do not have a paid for membership... yet.

But, I have seen members that are paid for being kicked by auto-kick. I've seen complaints in game, but never on the forum. I don't know if this has been addressed across the forum, and if it has, please redirect me so that I may read the arguements.

I think, and my honest opinion standing, that there should be another way to let paid for members in other than randomly kicking someone in the server.

I do understand that the paid for members have more of a right to be in the server than the ones of us who are paid for, but I also think that regulars have more of a right in the server than new-comers, especially the ones causing trouble.

I doubt we can change the programming the in auto-kick program, and honestly, I don't know what could be done to change the way it is now. But, if anyone does know, or has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

I've been kicked countless times, and I never have really complained much. And as I said before, I'm not complaining here. But I have seen people complain in the server who are paid for members.

I think that we atleast owe it to them to fix the program enough, if it isn't already, so that they don't get kicked. Afterall, they do pay the bills...

-Mom
    Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Membership and Auto-Kick...

I know the Natural-Selection server originally had this plugin and it works very smoothly; targeting No-CD players first and never paid members. However, Source is still fresh to developers and, even with SDK, it's hard to code for at the moment. I hear Wyz has been busy lately but I'm sure he's working out a way to make the plugin up to par with its NS counterpart in his spare time. Also, the CS forum has its own section, which means there is a members-only forum where some of this discussion might have gone on.

I for one think it's pretty cool just having the plugin as is. It shows that TG truly acknowledges and appreciates its supporting members. Even if it kicks them sometimes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I don't think the plugins available to us right now allow for this.

But even if it did, I don't know if I'd want it. This community survives only when enough people contribute financially. This is a good incentive to get CS players to contribute.

I know it sucks for you, but you also have to keep in mind that when you're kicked randomly, it might've been a brand new player that was spared and loves our server so much that he decides to contribute financially.

I know that most of the time it would be better to kick a new pubbie, but overall, I think it's good for recruiting and as an incentive to randomly kick non-supporting members.

Just my opinion...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HairyNevus
    I for one think it's pretty cool just having the plugin as is. It shows that TG truly acknowledges and appreciates its supporting members. Even if it kicks them sometimes.
    The plugin does not kick supporting members.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stop being cheap.....j/k

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yer Mom
    But, I have seen members that are paid for being kicked by auto-kick.

But I have seen people complain in the server who are paid for members.

I think that we atleast owe it to them to fix the program enough, if it isn't already, so that they don't get kicked. Afterall, they do pay the bills...

-Mom
    No Supporting Member ever gets kicked by another joiner, if that's what you're talking about. Sometimes a Supporting Member has not given his STEAM-ID to Wyzcrak, but other than that, no, it doesn't happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus
    No Supporting Member ever gets kicked by another joiner, if that's what you're talking about. Sometimes a Supporting Member has not given his STEAM-ID to Wyzcrak, but other than that, no, it doesn't happen.
    Ahh... this must've been what happened. I'm not sure, but I remember playing Piranesi one day and someone got auto'd... they came back a few seconds later complaining a bit saying that they'd been a paying member for a few years now or something and it still kicks them. Might've been a glitch, or his CS might've done it itself. I've been kicked from games randomly with no reason given by console or popup.

I wasn't suggesting that the plug-in be altered to kick supporting members or guests. It's the non-supporters... if we could find a way for the plugin to auto-kick anyone who passes X boundary or etc, then I'd be so happy I'd buy everyone a keg...

heh

I know that's probably not possible though, and the reason I brought this up was the complaint I read that I spoke of above. And now that has been resolved and I was mistaken.

-Mom
    Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything Tempus said about members not being kicked is true.

However, Steam will sometimes (rarely) fail to authenticate your SteamID when you join the server. For information about what causes this, visit the Steam website/forums. Experience says that restarting Steam and rejoining the server will usually fix that (that is, you'll be authenticated when you again join the server). Because all slot logic and admin rights authenticate via SteamID, this failure to authenticate can cause "admins" to be left without admin commands and "supporting members" to be left without reserved slots. Again.. it's rare, but it does happen and you likely WILL experience the very symptoms Mom describes when it happens. You know you're a victim of this when your SteamID in the 'status' console command is STEAM_ID_PENDING.

Now.. about the reserved slots for non-members...

As it stands now, those being removed from the full server when a supporting member joins are selected randomly. I can't change that yet. I will be able to in time, but I can't now. On the NS server, the victim is he without reservation who has been playing the least amount of time. This allows regulars who are not supporting members an opportunity, by showing up early, to survive the slot reservation logic. I hope to change the CS server to this method in time (no time soon, but in time; see two paragraphs down).

Now, beyond showing up early, I've already been up and down this road when it comes to helping non-members stay on a TG server when it is full. I've bent over backwards several times to make the slot reservation on the NS server be as powerful a tool toward "great games among friends, supporting members and otherwise" as it can be without robbing supporting members of their much-deserved ability to join the servers at any time.

I would love to do the same for CS once the plugin tools with which I'm proficient become available for Source (the same tools I need to modify the random/least time problem described above). There is no release date scheduled for these tools, but their authors are working diligently on them and have been since before the Source SDK was released.

I could give examples of the kind of fun stuff I'm talking about, but I don't want to give any false expectations, as who knows what will truly be possible when these tools are released. I guess Reserved Slot Regulars (from the NS server today) is an example of something similar to what might happen with CS, though I'm sure some details would be different -- the general idea could be the same, though: help keep our friends (who can't manage a membership) on the server while PRESERVING the server's accessibility to new guests (because Cing makes a very powerful point). You can also search the NS forums for references to the "points" system, which is my newest beast designed to keep on the server (and allow other perks) regulars who cannot manage a membership.

Consider this, though: logic is logic is logic. When you're writing computer software, the HARD PART is figuring out WHAT you want the software to do. The rest is just blood, sweat, and tears as you figure out how to make the computer DO what it is you KNOW you've got figured out logically.

So, the good news is this: I've already worked out all of the logic with NS. All I'll have to do when these Source tools are released is rewrite everything in those tools, making the logic adjustments required based on what changes we make to the offering (these changes, I would think, would be minor).

The precedent for helping non-members through server plugins exists within TG. Now we must wait for the tools to become available which allow me (and other developers among us) to author these plugins.

Again, there's no knowing, yet, when that will come. And, frankly, there's no guarantee it will come at all. Like Cing said: we commit server access to supporting members. Everything else is icing on the cake. If it happens, be grateful. If it doesn't, membership awaits.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.