Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

page_admin: call an admin to the server when you need help

The CSS admins understand there will be times when no admin is on the server. We've discussed a "temp admin" solution, but that's not a near-term solution (though, we may soon have a interim offering -- more on that as it develops).

So, Pokerface (not a CSS admin -- just a nice guy who wants to help everybody) has authored for the CSS server a solution he long ago crafted for the TG Natural Selection server. He authored a solution which allows players to page admins to the server while they're in the game and the admins aren't. This allows players in the game to send messages to remote admins instantly. The player simply types over chat, but the message is delivered to admins via AOL Instant Messenger and email (players never see the AIM screennames or email addresses of admins).

Here's how this puppy works: you type a keyword using the "say" command (i.e. normal talking to all, just as if you're saying "gg"). Everything you say in your message following the keyword is sent to the CSS admins who are online and available. Because different people have different availability when they're not gaming, not all CSS admins are setup to receive these messages. If no admins are online, no one gets your message immediately and you get no help. You also have no way of knowing, when you send the page, if any admins are coming. You just send the page "into the dark" and hope someone arrives to assist you.

I might be asking Poker to add some sort of acknowledgement in the future (that your request has at least been sent, even if no admins are online to get it -- something the solution has no way of knowing when it sends the message, due to the asynchronous nature of IMs and emails), but this won't be part of the solution's first release.

The keyword is "page_admin". So, to call admins to the server, simply "say": "page_admin Wyzcrak is rushing and he won't stop." Admins will get the message about me and come deal with me swiftly (after which I'll permaban you for reporting me to the authorities).

No, it won't work if you say this to your team. You must say it to everyone.

When you use this, be clear in your message. Offer a brief reason why you need an admin.

Like any other privilege we go out of our way to give players, there will be consequences if this is abused. Do not abuse this privilege. Use it when you need it, but don't "cry wolf". We wouldn't release if we didn't want people using it, but we don't want it abused.

The solution is deployed on both servers and allows only one page to be sent per map change (the two servers act independently and don't know about each other -- map changes on server #1 do not affect when pages can be sent from server #2 and when they can't). If someone sends a page and then someone else tries to send a page (again, we're talking about the same server here) before the map changes, the second page will simply be ignored. To offer another example: if two players send a page one quickly after the other, the second page will be A) ignored if its sender is on the same server as the sender of the first message - OR - B) sent if its sender is on the OTHER server from the sender of the first message.

Many, MANY thanks to Pokerface for giving this to us and changing it to meet our needs (and to run under Source), and MANY thanks to the CSS admins who really were helpful in my efforts to test it enough to release to you guys.

If you have questions or feedback, post it here.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Re: page_admin: call an admin to the server when you need help

This is fantastic! I am really impressed at the lengths this community will go to keeps it's members happy!!

Good on you!

A good man stands up for himself. A great man stands up for others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: page_admin: call an admin to the server when you need help

And mighty console has heard our cries once more! I want to thank everyone who had any part in this, as it means alot to those who wish to keep the spirit of TG as pure as possible. Thanks !
    "There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who know binary and those who do not. "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The almighty console adores its minions and endeavors to keep them mollified.

[tg-c1][conduct]

Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Re: page_admin: call an admin to the server when you need help

Thanks Pokerface. I'm sure this will be a great help to everyone!

Root

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't think it's working... it just says page_admin problems with rushers to the rest of the people

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think there is any feedback for the issuer. I'm the lab now so I can't tell you if it worked but I'm sue someone else will oblige.

Should the first post be a sticky in the announcements section?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan
    i don't think it's working... it just says page_admin problems with rushers to the rest of the people
    You have to "say" it to everybody. I didn't get a page today...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RandomGuy
    Should the first post be a sticky in the announcements section?

It was...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At present, there's no feedback on the server that your page went out. That enhancement has been requested, and I'm working on it (slowly, but I'm working )

So in-game, you'll only see the normal chat that you would always see. The only real indication that it's working (at present) is the admin swooping down to solve your problem. I'll be working on that.

NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We tested it before telling everyone.
    If it's done correctly we get it... either via AIM or e-mail depending on the admin's preference.

[tg-c1][conduct]

Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vulcan did it correctly. No admins received the messages via AIM. I think everyone set up to receive emails received them. Poker and I are working to determine why that happened.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yep it worked and rooty showed up, thx root!

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need this stress tested, please.

For the next 48 hours, I want you guys sending TEST PAGES every single chance you get. Every time you're on the server and every map you can manage to think about it.

Be careful not to test when too many new folks are on the server, as you can't send a legitimate page on the same map you send a test page.

When you send a test page, since we'll be getting so many, please don't be creative with your message text. Simply state the time of day and the current map.

page_admin 2pm aztec
    page_admin 4:15 pm cs_italy
    page_admin monday afternoon the one with the fence on the right side of CT spawn

Whatever you like.. just state the time of day and the map.

I'll compare what the admins receive to what you guys send. I want to find any remaining imperfections in this solution as soon as possible. I want this to be something you guys can trust.

Anarchist Weasel

Quote Originally Posted by Wyzcrak
    I want this to be something you guys can trust.
    That's awesome. Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast