Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Thread: New Game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Game

I know, this should be posted in another forum, but I want CS players input.

I plan on getting BF1942 and BF1942: Vietnam when I get my check from college.

I played BF1942 when it first came out, and loved it. Loved flying bombing missions. That was awesome!

I've never played Vietnam, nor have I seen it being played.

If anyone from the CS side has any input on these two games, then hit me with them.

-Mom
    Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: New Game

BF1942 is a fun but slow game.
    It was the Game of the Year for 2002 because the player's ability to drive any vehicle from fighter planes to bombers, to ships to submarines, to jeeps to tanks, etc etc was groundbreaking.
    The WWII game genre has gotten semi-stale but the sheer quantity of mods (Desert Combat, Pirates, Galactic Conquest, Forgotten Hope, etc) make it a must have imo.

BF:V is very similar but with a few more game engine capabilities. Mods are not as well developed but they do exist. Very good game... also in my 'collection'.

If I were you (depending on whether you prefer modern combat or WWII type combat) I would hold out for BF2. It's slated for release at the end of June and is supposed to be a major step forward from the similar but older engines used for BF and BF:V. Mods will be forthcoming and should prove to be excellent. Also you could use the extra money on some desired pc upgrades.

[tg-c1][conduct]

Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've played Vietnam and if you liked 1942 you will like Vietnam just as much. Flying the Huey's is great, takes a bit of practice though.

The Muffin Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I loved both games, even though they got old pretty quickly. I thought they improved alot for BF:Vietnam, but I'd probably just wait for the new one.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Desert Combat was the way to go, but I agree with Scooper... Wait for BF2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus

Dersert Combat is a excellent game. Getting a little long in the tooth though. Your money would be best spent on BF2

A good man stands up for himself. A great man stands up for others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus
    Ditto. BF:1942 with the Desert Combat mod is great. Do NOT waste your money on BF:Vietnam, it's a dumbed down piece of poop.

At this point, I would definitely recommend waiting for BF2. I think it's going to be big here at TG. I'm pretty sure that it's going to drag me away from CS and JO quite a bit...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BF1942, when played with serious players, is by far the best game for tactics I have every player(yeah I know there is respawn but I donít care) As a pub game it can be most frustrating, tkers, plane tkers, people who care about kills only, ect. For my dollar, it is the best war simulation game every put to code. I think the more powerful weapons you might find in Vietnam might take away some of the fun. I have never played Vietnam but Desert Combat, while a very good mod, has very powerful planes and tanks which take away from the game play IMO.

I usually dont pre order games, but there is a BF2 box with my name already on it. It would be great fun if TG ran a server.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John, I agree totally. In BF1942 Desert Combat: Bocage day 2 has that damned Scud Missile launcher. Someone who knows the map as I do can effectively turn that thing right at the American's main base and keep the tanks or helecopters away from them if I so choose. Its base spamming yes, but play that map online and you'll see the same thing over and over again.
    Aside from the Scud, thats my favorite map of Desert Combat, and the tactics that can be used in that game (respawn or not) are amazing. Public servers normally amount to frag fests, and I stopped playing that game many months ago.

I am not sure if I am going to purchase BF2. If there is a TG server then possibly. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm waiting for the new TFC, which I doubt will be released under source, considering it used a different game engine, and started out as a Quake Mod, then evolved to being a Half Life game.

For those of you who await a new version of TFC, look at this little website and I hope it comes to fruition along with Valve releasing a new version of TFC
    http://www.fortress-forever.com/
    "There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who know binary and those who do not. "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showthread.php?t=22570

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showthread.php?t=26781

There's more to TG than just the CS forums, guys!

Oh, and we have a BF server, we just haven't had enough regular players to get the server populated. Every Tuesday night is BF night, though. Perhaps if some of our new members played BF on Tuesdays, we could attract enough new BF players so that our BF server is regularly populated, too?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know there are still a few of us TGers who would love to get BF going again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by asch
    I know there are still a few of us TGers who would love to get BF going again.

It's running Dc yes?? This could be interesting, as much as I enjoy CS, I have been wigging out for some vehicle play.

A good man stands up for himself. A great man stands up for others.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i loved Desert Combat on bf1942, the only problem i had with it was the lag at that time, but i'm sure it's been optimized since it's v. 0.8 inception.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll get my BF1942 and DC all patched up and get on the TG BF server then. I've been wanting to fly some chopper missions with Cujo again and pwn them all.
    "There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who know binary and those who do not. "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can anyone throw me the server IP? I'm installing BF1942 right now... and I'll have to download DC... a link to it would be awesome too...

-Mom
    Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n