User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: whats a raid?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Help with drives, 6 drives?

I'd buy an aftermarket IDE RAID controller and run one mean RAID 0 array for maximum performance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem with raid is, I dont know how to work them, and i know if one drive goes, your screwed...

Id rather have different drives anyways...

Oh ya, removeing my CD-Rom didnt work, it got to the bios, and windows never even loaded... Id rather wait till i can afford to PCI ata thingy... But i dont wana pay 50 bucks on a hdd when i can get 60 for it off a friend.
    Oyee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black_V!per
    The problem with raid is, I dont know how to work them, and i know if one drive goes, your screwed...
    Live fast, die hard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheFeniX
    Live fast, die hard.
    Err, live long and prosper...
    Oyee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black_V!per

How is that different than having one large 120gb drive? If that drive goes you're just as screwed? In all my years of computer work that has to be the biggest/lamest excuse for people not using raid to chain their hdds.

Granted, in the early raid days drives were less stable, but if you have 3 quality drives now you have nothing to worry about.

I'm about to put together a file server for my home with at least 4 320gb drives in raid 0 to act as my media file center. Hopefully it will be awhile before I have to worry about adding more storage.

The Muffin Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Muffin Man
    How is that different than having one large 120gb drive? If that drive goes you're just as screwed? In all my years of computer work that has to be the biggest/lamest excuse for people not using raid to chain their hdds.

Granted, in the early raid days drives were less stable, but if you have 3 quality drives now you have nothing to worry about.
    When people dismiss RAID 0, I think you need to keep in mind what kind of people have traditionally used RAID: people interested in data security, NOT people looking for a big, fast drive for gaming! RAID 0 isn't really RAID. There's no redudancy...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Muffin Man

I'm about to put together a file server for my home with at least 4 320gb drives in raid 0 to act as my media file center. Hopefully it will be awhile before I have to worry about adding more storage.
    There's a difference between two 60GB HDD's in RAID 0 and one 120GB HDD. With the RAID setup, you have two HDD's and it doubles the chance of a hardware failure. Since RAID 0 has no redundancy, it wipes all your data even though one drive is still in working condition. Some just aren't open to taking that sort of risk.
    JO Guides & Tutorials
    Team Element - It's who you game with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality
    When people dismiss RAID 0, I think you need to keep in mind what kind of people have traditionally used RAID: people interested in data security,
    You'd be surprised though. RAID 5 and 10 were devoloped to solve both issues. Combine speed with data availability.

I run a SATA RAID 0 array with an 80 GB IDE drive for archival purposes (only active when copying). And I still lost some data due to my own incompetance. Losing a gig or two of mp3's is different than loosing an SQL database for a 15 million $ a year company. But you will notice a performance increase running RAID 0, even with a few IDE drives.

Quote Originally Posted by =Sarc=
    There's a difference between two 60GB HDD's in RAID 0 and one 120GB HDD. With the RAID setup, you have two HDD's and it doubles the chance of a hardware failure.
    Granted, but the chance is still exceedingly low. That's why you also go buy a DVD-R and archive every month or two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well,you can look at it a few diff ways.

1.seting up a raid config will be a good learning exp for you(but raid cards can cost a few bucks).

2.keep it simple and loose the cd-rom and your in business(but i would prefere the exp myself)

3.you can never learn enough

I reject your reality and replace it with my own!!..so let's cut out the middle man and just use mine!!
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers!!
    If you choose to close the door on reality..DON'T OPEN THE WINDOW(S)!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I reject your reality and replace it with my own!!..so let's cut out the middle man and just use mine!!
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers!!
    If you choose to close the door on reality..DON'T OPEN THE WINDOW(S)!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The diagram doesn't look right and they are wrong. You can run RAID 10 with 3 drives, but it's not recommended. You basically could run two 80 GBs stripped (which the OS reads as one 160 GB drive), then mirror both drives on one larger drive (160GBs+).

RAID 10 is ridiculously high overheard for any home environment (You loose two hard drives to mirroring), but does offer high throughput and reliability.

I'd quote RAID 5 (which I haven't found for IDE or SATA yet), in almost any application over RAID 10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by =Sarc=
    There's a difference between two 60GB HDD's in RAID 0 and one 120GB HDD. With the RAID setup, you have two HDD's and it doubles the chance of a hardware failure. Since RAID 0 has no redundancy, it wipes all your data even though one drive is still in working condition. Some just aren't open to taking that sort of risk.

Ok.......Let me ask this question. How many times have you seen a drive just up and die (without the cause being user oriented)? I have only seen 2 drives die in 7 years, I have never lost anything due to hard disk failure, and there's signs to warn you when a drive is on it's way out.

I guess the actual difference is how computer savvy one is. If you know what you're doing, you will not lose data and the chances will be no higher than running a single large drive.

The Muffin Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

read my post in the genreal forums from last month... you are seriously deluded if you think you will never get hit...... you are sedtting yourself up for major distaster.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Umm, my question was on adding a 6th drive... not raid... SPAMERS!!! DIE!!!

J/k New question, in lamens terms whats raid, and how does it work... Remember im lil more advanced than a novice user, but not intermediate...
    Oyee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast