Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Thread: No boot ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No boot ?

Ok....here goes the problem description....

Q's machine will go through the regular self test screens....will go through the WinXP load screen, then tries a scan disk, (everytime)..then to the login screen, then hangs.... at the login screen, neither of the two names are there to login.... I've tried f8, and every option there to boot, safe(no go), last known good config(no go) etc.....I can't even get to a prompt.... Is there any other option to try to access the drive ? If not, is there any reason I can't hook it into my machine, and try to access it, and maybe repair anything that may be wrong ? (run virus scan/registry repair,etc)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: No boot ?

Your best bet is to hook up the drive to your machine, but depending on the partition style (dynamic ect) XP might act stupid and not let you access the drive. If it doesn't show up in disk management, good chance its the hard drive itself. You also might run into the odd bug where after you hook it up to your drive, Security Accounts Manager decides its time to take complete control of the drive and lay waste to your old accounts on it. I've only had that happen once, and it just adds to my lengthy list of why XP blows. Try playing around with cacls.exe and lock out administrative access to something while logged in as a USER. Way to go MS, nice misconfiguration of the SID's.

Have you tried to run Memtest or flash the BIOS on the problematic box?
    "There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who know binary and those who do not. "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure if this would work or would be a good idea but you could do a repair reinstall of WinXP. When you boot up with the CD, you can reinstall without damaging any of the data except OS stuff.
    JO Guides & Tutorials
    Team Element - It's who you game with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by =Sarc=
    I'm not sure if this would work or would be a good idea but you could do a repair reinstall of WinXP. When you boot up with the CD, you can reinstall without damaging any of the data except OS stuff.
    If you try to repair... DON'T use the first repair option you see. (When booting from the XP CD)
    Tell it to install - it will search for existing Windws installations. When it shows an existing installation you will be given the option to repair it. Choose that.

If you choose the first repair option you will be asked for the Admin password and then be given a C:\ prompt... which may be what you want... but not likely.

[tg-c1][conduct]

Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well...crapola.... I did put the hdd in my machine, and as soon as it booted, it wanted to scan disk again...even in mine...it found some "logon.exe" needed fixed, so it repaired it I guess...I put it back in Q's machine...still no go... I can access the hdd completely from my machine, I can't get any type of cd to read on his machine, and let me try any type of repair in his machine. While I had it in my machine, I ran antivirus/antispyware on it....removed 19 instances of spyware, no viral infections.... still won't go any farther than the logon screen in his machine, and there are no icons to click to log in either... I guess I'm kinda baffled as to what I need to be looking for when it's hooked up in my machine....or what I could edit/repair to make it go... Is there any way to access the system startup menu, like I can in my own machine ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can access everything while it's in your box, why not just back up any important files that Q might have and just reformat and reinstall? Has it been over a year since he's reformatted? If so, it's time to do that anyway...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you boot the drive on your machine? I build computers and from my best guess something in the XP install has gone bad. Typically trying to find this problem and correct is far more costly than just backing up files and reinstalling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vulcan, he won't be able to boot that drive on his machine if his CPU is different, let alone the hardware on the mobo and chipsets might be completely different (which brings up driver issues).

I would say to take all data off the drive that needs saved, and while the drive is connected to your computer still, get FDISK from somewhere off the net and get ready to bust out FDISK/MBR. It might solve some problems, but you have to reformat the drive after that because if you overwrite the MBR your data might become inaccessible.

Try booting up the other messed up computer without a hard drive and get into the BIOS options and see if it even see's the CDROM. If it doesn't, try switching the IDE from the HDD and the CDROM cables. If you do that and reboot and it still doesn't see the CDROM, check your jumper settings on the CDROM to make sure its either set to Master or Cable Select.

Some motherboards are picky about what hardware jumpers are set to. Maybe you should also get the motherboard specs and clear out CMOS and then restart from the beginning. I also suggest to see if there is a BIOS update for that motherboard and update it if necessary.

If after all that it refuses to see the CDROM, check through your interrupt settings in the BIOS configuration and maybe there is a conflict there.

I hope this helps.
    "There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who know binary and those who do not. "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You may want to check this out. It seems similar to your problem.

http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/index....wtopic&t=11546
    JO Guides & Tutorials
    Team Element - It's who you game with.