Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Thread: LCD vs CRT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LCD vs CRT

Have LCDs advanced to the point where they are on par with crt for gaming and if so which LCD would you recommend? If not which CRT would you recommend? Remember bigger is better and in this case flatter is better.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: LCD vs CRT

Quote Originally Posted by ><JohnGalt><
    Have LCDs advanced to the point where they are on par with crt for gaming and if so which LCD would you recommend? If not which CRT would you recommend? Remember bigger is better and in this case flatter is better.
    I have a Samsung SyncMaster 191T LCD monitor. It's a 19" LCD with both digital and analog inputs. The screen also rotates so it can be viewed in landscape or portrait orientation. I have never regretting buying it and I certainly play a lot of games. :-)

Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

43452045524748454146204742204754202d204642424121

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember bigger is better and in this case flatter is better.
    Must...resist...TOO MANY JOKES! TOO MANY JOKES!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SO this ghosting I read about is blown out of proportion? And i am very OCD (obsessive compulsive) about graphics, will the inevitable dead pixels I see the first time I turn my monitor on drive me crazy?

And Rampage, subtle jokes are the best. They are clean and donít get removed from the forums.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SO this ghosting I read about is blown out of proportion? And i am very OCD (obsessive compulsive) about graphics, will the inevitable dead pixels I see the first time I turn my monitor on drive me crazy?

And Rampage, subtle jokes are the best. They are clean and donít get removed from the forums.
    Ghosting is a problem on cheap LCD displays for sure. But I haven't noticed any issues with it at all on my 191T. As for dead pixels, I can't find a single dead pixel on either of the two 191Ts on my desk. (One of my machine and one on Luna's)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is one of the better rated monitors that I've seen lately from Samsung with it's 8ms response time you shouldn't have a problem with ghosting at all:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...001-185&depa=1
    (incase the link is dead here's the model & description SAMSUNG 915N-Black 19" LCD Monitor with 8ms Response Time)

There is also a good monitor from NEC that has an 8ms response as well, but I can't remember the model number off the top of my head, it was in last months computer shopper......

The Muffin Man

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Dell 19" which I believe is a re-branded Samsung. Make sure to look at the contracts ratio and the response time. I don't notice any ghosting at all during gaming or watching DVDs.

And as Apo said... don't go cheap. These monitors can last longer than your computer and don't depreciate as fast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From newegg
    "Dead Pixels Policy: Replacement or Refund for 8 or more DEAD PIXELS ONLY!"

Should I buy a monitor from a brick and morter establishment so I can return it if a dead pixel is driving me crazy, or is it unusual for new monitors to have dead pixels and I am just being anal.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacement or Refund for 8 or more DEAD PIXELS ONLY!
    Uh, isn't that like saying "We'll replace something defective only if we feel that it's broken enough?"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's the policy with most places. I actually think newegg's policy of 8 pixels is pretty good. If you go to a brick & mortar you can get them to test it out first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep in mind that LCDs have one native resolution that they work best at. Any other resolution and it has to interpolate, which looks unacceptable to me.

CRTs don't suffer from this.

drew the 952

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drew_952
    Keep in mind that LCDs have one native resolution that they work best at. Any other resolution and it has to interpolate, which looks unacceptable to me.

CRTs don't suffer from this.

drew the 952
    I use my LCD display in a wide variety of resolutions depending on what I'm doing and I don't have any ill effects that cause any noticeable difference in the quality of the display.

EDIT: I don't use any really funky resolutions. As a result there is no need to "split pixels" on my display and force interpolation of half a pixel. 1280x1028, 1024x768 and 800x600 all look beautiful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My two cents. Be sure to look at Response time....12ms or less. Also be sure to check Max resolution, and max refresh rates when looking at LCD's.

A good man stands up for himself. A great man stands up for others.

T_BEAR

LCDS are on par with CRTs now. Get the lowest response time so there is no ghosting while you play games though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This following came from specs of a lcd I am thinking about buying. Deos the 83fps mean that if I run css or other games at a rate greater than 83fps i will see a degredation in video/graphic quality

ClearMotiv 12ms video response time
    Ultra-fast 12ms video response broadcast-quality full- motion video at 83 frames per second.