Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Community growth

I had all but given up on playing css until I stumbled across this community, but after hearing Root say "Bomb Down on Me" in his all too serious British accent (God bless em) for the first time, I knew I had found a home. With in a week I was trying to figure out how I too could join the "clan". I thank the makers that there was not the required ass kissing and ego stroking that is usually needed for clan membership. What I was wondering is this; How quickly has the css community grown? How many of the usual suspects are left overs from cs? I believe so fervently that tgs style of play while at first glance seems slow and boring is BY FAR THE MOST ASS CLINCHING, HEART POUNDING, INTENSE GAMING EXPERIENCE this over aged, undersexed, de_nuke hating gamer has ever experienced, that it is only a matter of time before we outgrow both servers.

Also, it would be great if we could have a server that could accommodate more than 15 players.

On a side note, I cant wait until BF2 is released. I only hope that its release does not mark the demise of tg css.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Community growth

Quote Originally Posted by ><JohnGalt><
    I had all but given up on playing css until I stumbled across this community, but after hearing Root say "Bomb Down on Me" in his all too serious British accent (God bless em) for the first time, I knew I had found a home. With in a week I was trying to figure out how I too could join the "clan". I thank the makers that there was not the required ass kissing and ego stroking that is usually needed for clan membership. What I was wondering is this; How quickly has the css community grown? How many of the usual suspects are left overs from cs? I believe so fervently that tgs style of play while at first glance seems slow and boring is BY FAR THE MOST ASS CLINCHING, HEART POUNDING, INTENSE GAMING EXPERIENCE this over aged, undersexed, de_nuke hating gamer has ever experienced, that it is only a matter of time before we outgrow both servers.

Also, it would be great if we could have a server that could accommodate more than 15 players.

On a side note, I cant wait until BF2 is released. I only hope that its release does not mark the demise of tg css.
    I seem to recall the first time you fouled the server with your presence. Sorry did I say fouled? Meant to say graced. Ahem. I felt exactly the same way when I found TG. I started on 1.6 in about october of last year (I really am a noob). It was ok, and sometimes there were a few people who were objective and team players. Tried a bit of CTF which is good for a giggle, and then stumbled across teesside uni after I got source. It was slightly better than average pubbie fare, but still a frag fest. Spotted a post on usenet about TG, and away I went.

Just checked the user list, and I joined up on Dec 22, so I've been here a mere 3 months (and the fools made me an admin already lol), but my understanding is that the community has been here for a few years. Not sure how fast it's growing, but there seem to be a fair few |TG|'s appearing in peoples names of late.

You're right the games can get quite intense at times, and it's also highly amusing too. Especially when I capped 3 guys in 3 shots with a 228 at point blank the other night

AFAIK, as we get more supporting members, we get more servers. With regard to having more than 14 players on a server, I believe a decision was taken long ago to limit team sizes to make sure that tactical play didn't just desend into deathmatch play. You know what the pubbies would say - "there's 20 of us on the team, what does it matter if I run through T spawn and pwn them all?"

BF2 looks like a class act, and I think I might do well in the commander role. Also, I'm dying to score a humiliation kill on a sniper with a supply drop

I cant see CS suffering too much from BF2. People play other games as well as CS, and BF2 will just be another black hole on their hard drive!

Root

(You notice I'm ignoring him about my accent being serious? )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I was the biggest pubbie around. I didn't belong to a clan, and I hated clans, but I was different from most pubbies. I would go slow and calmly. Often times, I'd be the last person alive, listening to thunderbooters near me, and murdering entire teams. That's how I took that whole clan by myself. I would set my filters to de_pir (my favorite map to pub on), find a small 4 on 4 or so, and dominate.

When I came into TG, I noticed right away that people were different here. I knew I'd found a server that I could add to favorites and have fun on.

After that, I left CS that night, and my stupid Steam wouldn't save the IP. I was so addicted after not even 2 hours of playing here that I looked for almost an hour and a half over 10000 servers to find one called TG. Then, I remembered. www.tacticalgamer.com

I came and got the IP, and I've been here ever since.

I gotta say. The people here are amazing. There is, of course, a few things I'd change about everyone, but that just makes it more of a good thing. No one can be perfect after all.

I'm going with Root on this one. More than 14 players is a bit much. Last night, Wyz, me and Sniper and Fenix and Tempest etc went to a NS server that was like 36 players. It sucked. I couldn't hear anything, it was confusing, etc. If you haven't played on a CS server that has 30+ players, you wouldn't understand. When you see an army leave CT spawn instead of a team, you'll be apt to quit CS altogether.

Thanks for the great server guys. Thanks for the good times. And overall, thanks for the support.

-Mom
    Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe so fervently that tgs style of play while at first glance seems slow and boring is BY FAR THE MOST ASS CLINCHING, HEART POUNDING, INTENSE GAMING EXPERIENCE this over aged, undersexed, de_nuke hating gamer has ever experienced
    Man, you've never played NS here, have you? :P
    Duking it out with three people with guns in an office... that's no fear.

I like CS well enough to keep playing it and all, but playing it reminds me that a good game of NS can offer a solid hour of ass-clinching in one game.

NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been involved in this community for like 5 years or so.. If not for this place, I would not play online games at all (which might be a good thing). I have exactly 2 servers in my favorites (our 2), and I've probably played a total of 30 minutes on public servers in my life.

Should Bf2 live up to its hype, it will be a major event here. While I don't think it will steal players away from CSS completely, it will certainly divide their gaming time.

I don't think we want or need another CSS server. For the games to be good, there has to be a certain number of regulars on at the same time. The more servers we have, the more spread out those regulars are. When I jump on the server and there's only a few of us there and a bunch of pubbies, I don't take the game seriously and just wait for more regulars to join. With 3 servers, the player base will be more diluted, there will be far more server hopping (OMG, OFFICE IS ON THE OTHER SERVER! BYE!), and the gaming experience will not be up to par.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been here for years(back to when I remember playing one on one game(s) against Apo on Aztec even). I lost many hours of my life to CS1.6 here.

When there was a gap between 1.6 and CS:S, I mostly quit online gaming. I tried a few other games here and elsewhere, but never enjoyed them.

Since CS:S came back here(and came back BIG), I'm back online and loosing sleep, and loving it.

I also agree with Tempus, when there are only a few regulars and a bunch of pubbies the games go downhill. When a bunch of regulars leave, it leaves a sucking void, and often ends a night of good gaming. There needs to be a certain concentration of regulars to absorb the pubbies and shape their actions.

When a new game shows up that is really good, it can and will suck a number of good players to it from CS:S. Every game has it's lifespan. None of them are eternal. So we will all have to evolve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I was wondering is this; How quickly has the css community grown? How many of the usual suspects are left overs from cs?
    It was as big as this (2 servers full of regulars most nights) in the pre 1.6 days when TG was called Network 42. Then CS died here. Next there was GR which was equally big but that seems to have quietened down. NS came next and was (and still is) pretty popular here. And now CS is reborn with new people and it's almost as good as before (but we can make it better!).

Not many of the old people still around. Apo (obviously), Ender, Tempus, Addict, Cing, Wolfie, Overlag, eternal, Cobra, Deranger, Ghostintheshell, Zebra, Nightfire?, Emanon?, LegionPaulL? maybe one or two more, but some of these don't play any more.

I like the fact that we have herriatage here.

Trust me it wouldn't.
    Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

www.MakePovertyHistory.com