Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Working fine, then video problems then won't boot, no beeps

So I was playing NS and noticed some bad graphics problems. Jerkiness, textures not being drawn, pixelated, text very pixelated, etc. Quit and went to windows. Windows XP seemed to be OK. CPU temp was OK. I then rebooted. Now the machine will not boot or post. I get no beep error codes. There is no output to the monitor.

Tried video card from my old machine, tried different monitor, still doesnt boot/display. Cleared CMOS. Disconnected everything but video card, cpu and memory. Still does not boot. I haven't changed any hardware or drivers. It had been working fine for around 2 years up until this point.

I'm running an ECS k7s5a (I know ) with an AMD 1.4 athlon.

Any ideas? Any recommendations for a cheap mb/cpu combo? Thanks.

does the computer give a power stutter then die? my computer did that and the PS was the problem....

could be the motherboard though.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the HD is powering up but no beeps, it is the motherboard. Time to get a new one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by =DdogG=
    does the computer give a power stutter then die? my computer did that and the PS was the problem....

could be the motherboard though.......
    No it doesn't really die. It just doesn't do anything. It just kinda hangs there. The power light is lit (and when I had the cdroms and hd hooked up the drives would cycle and then the hd light would stay lit). Fans are spinning, so I believe I have power running.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie
    If the HD is powering up but no beeps, it is the motherboard. Time to get a new one
    So what's a good reasonably priced one ? And would you think I should order a new CPU as well, or try to use my old one?

EDIT: nevermind I see the post further down in the forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What prices are you looking at to spend? That is the biggest question. Becuase if you update your board and CPU after a certain point, you might have to upgrade something else, like your RAM.

And look at your needs. Do you need more CPU power or is what you got enough to last you for another year or so? If so, it might just be smart to buy a new board for your CPU/RAM and save the money for a future purchase down the road.

I wished I had done that with my GeForce 2. Not bought it and just waited for the funds for the TI at the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie
    What prices are you looking at to spend? That is the biggest question. Becuase if you update your board and CPU after a certain point, you might have to upgrade something else, like your RAM.
    I would prefer to spend <$100 on a motherboard. Yeah, I'm just looking at holding this for another year or so till I upgrade video cards. I thought about just getting another k7s5a, since it's only $44 and I'd be able to keep the rest of my hardware. But then I thought maybe I'd be asking for trouble going back to something that failed me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whats the gfx card?
    how old is it?

while i recommend the Asus A7N8X, which is a Nforce2 chipset, maybe you should try a KT600 chipset board.... VIA chipsets are cheaper than Nforce chipsets and just as good (if not better now).. So maybe the Asus A7V600.... (note im a Asus motherboard fan )

isnt the K7S5A a daul MB? ie SDR and DDR board? If you have DDR you would be able to keep everything if you buy a new motherboard, because all AMD boards are BACKWARDS compatable.

BUT. Why has everyone said its a motherboard problem?!?!?!

he hasnt tested everything yet. If the gfx was F**king up i recon its either the AGP slot (err MB lol) or the Gfx card its self.

You say there isnt any beeps when you turn it on? double check the speaker is plugged in...

Try unplugging cdroms, HDD's, PCI cards, and the GFX card from both the power and motherboard.

So you basicaly just have the CPU and Memory in... then, take the Memory out (be extra careful of static with memory). power it up. If it beeps, the motherboard knows the memory isnt there, so must be still good.

Next try with the another gfx card and ram in...if you have another card that is hmmm
    From Adam Webb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Overlag!

Yeah, I tried basically everything that I could think of. Unplugged/removed everything but the memory, cpu and video card, swapping video cards, swapping ram, swapping power supplies, but nothing seems to work.

So it looks like new motherboard for me, now hopefully the processor is OK! I do have pc2100 ddr, so I'm hoping I would be able to use all of my existing hardware. So based on Overlag's suggestion and looking around I think I am going to get the Asus A7N8X from newegg. I seemed to find more positives about the nforce2 than the via chipset's so figured for only $9 extra I may as well go for it.

Anybody ever used a refurb motherboard? The prices from newegg seem about $30 less :shock: The deluxe is only $69! :shock:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Newegg is great with their refurbs... I've never had a problem with any of them, but a coworker of mine bought one that was DOA. Newegg paid for the shipping to return it and sent him a brand new retail version of the MB that he had purchased!
    If Newegg has a refurb that you want, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality
    Newegg is great with their refurbs... I've never had a problem with any of them, but a coworker of mine bought one that was DOA. Newegg paid for the shipping to return it and sent him a brand new retail version of the MB that he had purchased!
    If Newegg has a refurb that you want, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it...
    Great! I went and ordered it. Thanks alot everyone for your help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm

the VIA board A7V600 on newegg i check was basicaly the deluxe version of the A7N8x

anyway, there both great boards, and i hope it all works for ya
    From Adam Webb

I wish I had caught you before you ordered.....

newegg has a biostar nforce2 mobo w/ onboard geforce4 mx400 for 86.00. it is basically the motherboard that goen in the tiny computers (ITX) and has everything ready for you, but has an 8x AGP and one PCI as well as raid and serial ATA (I THINK). perfect answer to your situation and within your budget to boot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overlag
    BUT. Why has everyone said its a motherboard problem?!?!?!
    Because it sounds like it is the motherboard issue. In fact, he has the same problems I had when my mobo fried...

Besides, I remember all the help you gave me with my video issue awhile back (I should have listen to eternal instead of a bloody wanker across the sea)

He might want to get this issue resolved quickly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a7n8x,2000 athlon about $170 on newegg.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast