Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Building new system soon...

I havent been keeping up on the latest tech. I will probably have around $1000-$1500 to upgrade. What do you think I should get?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yummy

you can sell body parts for the rest of the money

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [gc]flux
    yummy

you can sell body parts for the rest of the money

Im looking to build my own...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you into building your own? do you need a monitor too?

just as an idea...

Asus A7N8X Deluxe ~$115
    AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (Barton Core) 400 FSB ~$215
    DDR (400) 3200 - 256 MB Corsair ~$65
    DDR (400) 3200 - 256 MB Corsair ~$65
    400W - SPI Sparkle FSP400-60GN 400 Watt ~$70
    120GB HD 7200RPM ATA133 (prices all over) ~$100
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    $630

and yes get two sticks of mem instead of one 512. that mobo can pump that data across faster from two sticks.

you could also go witha SATA hard drive, but might want to wait on prices. if you do wait on SATA prices you might want to get a smaller ATA133. there are rebates going around all the time so you might can get one pretty damn cheap if you are patient. i would suggest you start looking now.

now everyone will tell you something different wit the graphics card, so i'm not even going there. but i prefer nvidia. mainly cause i own their stock

you'll also need CD/DVD/RW but those can in all flavors. just depends on what you want. I usually lean towards LiteOn brand. they are good and cheap. and who knows maybe you have what you need for now until you get some more cash for that sweet DVD burner.

after the graphics card that doesn't leave you much for a monitor. if you need a monitor you could scale back some on the CPU, but stay with Barton cores since they overclock nicely. you can also go with an older graphics card too. you can get a decent card for $100 these days, but it will be a bit dated. the GeForce4 4200 overclock nicely.

with that mobo you wont need sound or LAN since they are builtin to the nForce chips.

I guess thats a good start. I'm sure people will have other opinions

Oh and a really good place to get all these parts is http://newegg.com they have the best prices all around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need for monitor. Was thinking 2 sticks of 512. Have the cd/cdr/dvd+r/dvd-r etc. need a good case. I have a G4-4200, want to try ATI maybe.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Intel or AMD?

Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

43452045524748454146204742204754202d204642424121

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cobra i just built one.... and i must say i am extremely happy with the performance...

cost me $900-1000

here is the link of the topic i had

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3144

i went with the radian 9600pro, because i didn't have the $400 cash for the 9800pro

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    went with the radian 9600pro, because i didn't have the $400 cash for the 9800pro
    I don't know what you paid on those, but i just got a radeon 9600, and i asked the guy what the difference was between it and the PRO
    and the only one i could find was that it could hook upto TVs
    ..maybe theres another difference.. but thats all i found

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you'll also need CD/DVD/RW but those can in all flavors. just depends on what you want. I usually lean towards LiteOn brand. they are good and cheap. and who knows maybe you have what you need for now until you get some more cash for that sweet DVD burner.
    I'll just chime in with recommendations for two other brands: LG and TDK. I've had nothing but pleasant experiences with both of these brands of optical drives. I'm not sure who actually manufactures TDK's drives, though. It sure would seem to me like it's a rebranded drive, but they may be making their own.

I'd also like to see recommendations for nice cases. I want to get one that has the audio connectors in the front, is made of aluminum, has rounded edges and a slide out MB tray. A door that covers the drives would be nice as well... Maybe this is worthy of a whole new thread...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apophis
    Intel or AMD?

Intel, but depending on $ might have to go with the cheaper CPU(Not sure what that is anymore.)

Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality
    I'll just chime in with recommendations for two other brands: LG and TDK. I've had nothing but pleasant experiences with both of these brands of optical drives. I'm not sure who actually manufactures TDK's drives, though. It sure would seem to me like it's a rebranded drive, but they may be making their own.

I'd also like to see recommendations for nice cases. I want to get one that has the audio connectors in the front, is made of aluminum, has rounded edges and a slide out MB tray. A door that covers the drives would be nice as well... Maybe this is worthy of a whole new thread...
    My CD Burner and my DVD Burner are TDK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality
    You might like the Antec Sonata. It lacks a slide-out tray, but it's a very nice case nonetheless. My friend has one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaxman
    You might like the Antec Sonata. It lacks a slide-out tray, but it's a very nice case nonetheless. My friend has one.
    Actually, that case is on my list of parts needed to put together my digital video recorder (Tivo/Replay). I was looking for something a bit less expensive for my regular PC, although $95 w/PS isn't a bad price...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coolermaster black widow

QUALITY looking... shame i dont "need" another case....

anyway, 3 systems here:

AMD
    A64 XP3200 (XP3000 is out soon)
    Asus K8V

Intel
    P4 2.4c (or if you dont plan on overclocking get a P4 3.2c)
    Asus P4C800-E (make sure its the -E!)

AMD
    Barton XP2500 (or if you dont plan on overclocking get a Barton XP3200)
    Asus A7N8X

* in order of speed, top fastest and longer lasting platform....

needed for both:
    Some dual channel PC3200 kit (2x512mb) recommend Corsair Low Latency modules.
    ATI9800pro or 9800tx, 9600tx MIN.

anyway, its hard for me to price stuff up for you guys, since my silly limey costs make computer parts cost 10-50% more than yours......
    From Adam Webb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok... A new developement has come about! Lets change this thread into "Building my dream system" Lets hear what you guys think would be a top of the line computer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    top line as in money no object? (within reason)???

if so, a AMD FX51, 2.2ghz system (FX53 soon 2.4ghz) problem is, this one wont last long since its socket will change from 940pins to 939pins around march next year.

An AMD A64 3200+ will last longer, since its socket 754 wont be changing. its single channel so slightly slower than an FX.

the FX51 is faster than the P4 3.2ghz Emergancy Edition err Extreme Edition, (Note: Xeon) in most tests and about 100 limeys err Pounds/ cheaper over here....but the cost is soon leveled out by the fact you need registerd ram for the FX atm, and Registerd PC3200 is VERY expensive. The socket change in march will change that however, and the FX will become alot cheaper (all round).

IMO i wouldnt get the P4 EE as its a total server cpu and wont realy improve much for the average user, where as AMD's new 32bit performance with 64bit compatability is overall a better choice.

Atm the top performers:

Amd FX51
    Intel P4 3.2ghz EE
    AMD 64 3200+
    Intel P4 3.2ghz
    Intel P4 3ghz
    AMD XP3200 Barton

Intels "new cpu" is hitting some rather big problems and looks like its AMD's 64 over again...ie its going to be late and slower then projected. The idea with die strinks from the current P4 level at 130mn to 90mn is to increase clock speed and decrease heat output, yet current samples are only 2.8ghz and are burning way over 110watts....:shock: where as a P4 with old 130mn die proccess at 2.8ghz is only 80ish watts.

so i recommend AMD again I had 6months of recommending Intel and now its swung around

after all the talk, i recommend a A64 3200+ or a P4 2.4-2.8ghz if you want to gamble on getting 3.6ghz out of it....
    From Adam Webb

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast