User Tag List

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Half-LIfe Security Issues!

http://www.pivx.com/press_releases/valve_release01.html

This URL is a very good and VERY important read if you play half-life. Most people tend to only worry about their operating systems and/or their network connection when it comes to feeling "secure".

This article will be a very well deserved wake up call for many, showing you that EVERY program you install on your machine has the potential to be seriously destructive.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

43452045524748454146204742204754202d204642424121

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The press release doesn't specify: does this security flaw affect steam-based HL as well as the classic version of HL?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be completely irrelevant. Steam is just a distribution method for their code rather than a different game. The Half-Life engine still operates the same way it always has.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

43452045524748454146204742204754202d204642424121

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "It should be completely irrelevant. Steam is just a distribution method for their code rather than a different game."

Ok, maybe I'm not as good with computers as I thought. Shouldn't anything that makes your computer accept traffic be considered a potential hacker exploitation?

On a more amusing note, I love how they tell us that the vulnerability exists in clients and servers and then point us to their patch which is for servers. What about all them clients?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like for the clients it'd have to be an attack from a server. So only play here and you are safe....

Emanon
    I believe they have already fixed these security flaws that are listed, but there is always another hole.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By applying 'Preparation V', our free fix, administrators can find soothing relief without relying on an unresponsive vendor."
    Is this a joke? It sure reads like a joke.
    I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apophis
    It should be completely irrelevant. Steam is just a distribution method for their code rather than a different game. The Half-Life engine still operates the same way it always has.
    I didn't read anything past the press release, and wasn't sure if the exploit could come via the authentication process or if the new file structure had anything to do with it... Both of those are different with Steam...