User Tag List

Page 1 of 13 12345678910 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking Bans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smoking Bans

This was mentioned in another thread and I thought it would be a good one to discuss here in the sandbox.

What are your thoughts on these bans?

Personally, I do not smoke with the exception of an occasional cigar. I dislike cigarettes alot (weird huh?).

Personally, I believe someone has the right to smoke whatever they want to. However, I also believe these people must show consideration to those around them that don't want to inhale their smoke. It is a proven fact about the dangers of second hand smoke. If you want to kill yourself and turn your lungs into black, tar filled organs, then go ahead and smoke until lung cancer eats you alive. But please don't force me to inhale your addiction.

The bans in restrurants might seem a little crazy but I wonder how the employees feel about smoking sections? If it was my job, I wouldn't want to be working in the smoking section. And is it too much to ask a smoker to not smoke for the hour they are in the restrurant eating dinner?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, I must say that I smoke.

Second, I don't have a problem with banning smoking in restaurants and public buildings.

In Canada, Ontario more specifically, a large number of towns and cities have bylaws against smoking in these places. I know that is a good idea.
    Smoking is bad and can kill you and the people around you.

Having said that, , if I owned a business shouldn't it be my choice whether or not I allowed smoking? Last I checked it was still a legal product and it IS my business after all. A simple sign at the door stating that this was a smoking establishment would give all customers a CHOICE as to whether or not they used your business.

After all isn't that pretty much what democracy and freedom of choice is all about?

Then again, I could be wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a smoker, and I'll tell you how I feel about this issue.

I don't think that an outright ban is proper, or even legal... If I own a bar, and I want to let my customers smoke, what gives the city or county the right to tell me that I can't permit legal activity on my property?

As for restaurants, I must admit, I tend to agree with you on this, Wolf. But again, if a restaurant owner wants a smoking section...

Here's the problem I have with outright bans: it unnecessarily restricts the freedoms of people. I suggest that instead of a ban, enforce a health standard: if you're running a business that allows smoking, you must have THIS type of ventilation system, and THIS type of seperation between smoking and non-smoking sections.

Here in Dallas, dozens of bars and restaurants have closed since smoking was outlawed. City revenue is dropping lower and lower. Hotels are bemoaning their loss of conventions to neighboring Fort Worth and other southern cities.

Bottom line is that smoking bans simply aren't justified. There are other, more effective, less restrictive answers out there...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this country is turning into the united states of nazi germany. i mean i can understand a ban on an airplane or public places like the library/city hall but if some dude owns property like a resturant and wants to let people smoke on it i dont see the problem.
    4 and 3 and 2 and 1 when im on the mic the suckas run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I suffer from a mild form of asthma and mucuos congestion due to second hand smoke, I'm all for outlawing it entirly :evil:
    I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the town I grew up they've had the no smoking ban for 15 years. Bars are completely exempt - smoke all you want. Restaurants can have a smoking section if they provide separate ventilation - and usually a glassed-in area. Restaurants that went to this extra expense made out pretty well.

I agree with the moderate no-smoking restrictions you guys have already talked about. Speaking as someone who is allergic to cigarette smoke (I sound asthmatic within 20 minutes) I appreciate even partial bans. And I hate restaurants where you must walk through the smoking section to get to non-smoking or the bathrooms - that kind of defeats the purpose.

On a side note, this hotel I'm staying at, they ignored my reservation and failed to save me a non-smoking room the first night. I can't believe how gross it was, anything that didn't stay sealed in my luggage smelled like smoke for the next two days, and I wheezed my head off and couldn't sleep that night. What does one do about that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a side note, this hotel I'm staying at, they ignored my reservation and failed to save me a non-smoking room the first night. I can't believe how gross it was, anything that didn't stay sealed in my luggage smelled like smoke for the next two days, and I wheezed my head off and couldn't sleep that night. What does one do about that?
    Go on a tyranical rampage agaisnt the hotels management, and don't stop untill you get the Wedding Suite They would be stupid not to accomidate you. You could (rightly) claim it to be a health risk. If they refused to find you a suitable room, you could threaten to sue. And considering the state most law courts seem to be in, you'd probably win.
    I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentley
    Go on a tyranical rampage agaisnt the hotels management, and don't stop untill you get the Wedding Suite They would be stupid not to accomidate you. You could (rightly) claim it to be a health risk. If they refused to find you a suitable room, you could threaten to sue. And considering the state most law courts seem to be in, you'd probably win.
    If I didn't hate people that sue corporations at the drop of a hat I'd think about it. They were properly apologetic when I showed up wheezy and red-eyed the next morning and gave me a new room immediately. Now if only they could fix the waffling lag so I could play NS.

Oh, and I'll repost a comment I made in the other thread. People north of the Mason-Dixon line have more right to complain about smoking bans because the "designated smoking areas" [outside] get much much colder. Texans (minus the panhandle), southern Californians and anybody else who never sees snow get no sympathy from me.

I am lost, if you know where I am then please feel free to tell me.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little background before I give my opinion.

Pretty much my entire family at one point smoked, my mom smoked for the longest time but quit because she was pregnant with me (only to start up again right after and then quit for good because she couldnt afford it), the one who used to be my father smoked and still does to this day, my grandparents smoked until my grandfather got Emphysema (which recently took him 3 weeks ago) so bad he had to be put on oxygen, and my grandmother smoked until she forgot how too. So I lived with one form of smoking or another, which is probably why I dont smoke myself and half noticed that all the people I hang out with who smoke, never had parents\grandparents who smoked, so maybe there is something there... ?

Anyway..

If bars and restaurants want to have a smoking section far away from everybody else, then they should be able to. I believe that its our right to kill themselves anyway we want, I am sort of for death in any way, shape, or form, so if they want to kill themselves by smoking then so be it, as long as I am not forced to breath it in then I dont really give two ****s what you do to your own body. Now as for the work place, I do feel that smoking should be allowd... out side... in a special section called "People who want to die at an early age". I also dont believe smokers should get a "special break" for smoking. Where I used to work, smokers got a special break to go outside and light one up. Thats bull****, what about us people who dont want to die at the age of 50? Dont we get a special break? Of course not, we have to pick up the slack because the nico nut needs a break because they're feeling "stressed". Yeah well do what I do when I feel stressed... masturbate.

So my opinion is simple, let them smoke if they want too, but it should be up to the bar\restaurent\job where or if at all. I do think that if the bar\restaurent does allows smoking, then they should clearly say "We allow smoking here" and point to where people can smoke (not like it will be hard to figure out anyway.. just follow the cloud) and this way people can choose to stay there or leave if they feel its not far enough away.

The government should not be forcing anybody to not smoke. Its not thier job to tell us what we can and cant do with our bodies. Thier job is simple, protect us, and do something useful with our tax money, that is all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only care in the winter. Like now.

Spectre
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentley
    As I suffer from a mild form of asthma and mucuos congestion due to second hand smoke, I'm all for outlawing it entirly :evil:
    Thats your problem and doesn't give you a right to pass laws eliminating seperate smoking sections.

And I'm sick and tired of the downright condicending tone that you non-smokers take. Give it a break...calling the smoking section "people who want to die young" and always browbeating smokers about how we're killing ourselves is tiring. Complaining that smokers are nasty because thay have a habit thats killing them is getting really annoying....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have nothing wrong with smoking sections in a restaurant as long as I can enjoy my meal without have to suck down second hand smoke.

And I agree with the point that it really should be up to the owner's decision how they are going to handle smoking in their place.

What the liberal media and the liberal politicians have forgotten is that bars, restaurants, and private buildings are owned by individuals that should have the right to decide if they are going to allow smoking or not. These are not public places under the ownership of the local town council or the public at large.

Just like I can deny people the right to smoke in my home, the owner of the bar should have the right to allow patrons to smoke in his establishment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre
    And I'm sick and tired of the downright condicending tone that you non-smokers take. Give it a break...calling the smoking section "people who want to die young" and always browbeating smokers about how we're killing ourselves is tiring. Complaining that smokers are nasty because thay have a habit thats killing them is getting really annoying....so here's my solution.
    And the smokers arent the same way? Come on dude, smokers are the same way if not worse. For one thing, a lot of the smokers dont care if they light up in front of you, they just assume you're "ok" with it and when you ask them nicely they jump all over you like you just told them to "f^%$ off" or something. The attitude runs both ways.

Like Wednesday, I was waiting in line to see Elf when this guy in his 30's just lite up right in front of me. It was sort of windy out, so the smoke was blowing right in my face and I couldnt take it any more so I asked him nicely if he could possibly blow the smoke in another direction so the wind doesnt blow it in my face and he jumped all over me, swearing at and me ****. I stood their and took it until he said something like "I wished all this f$%#ing non-smokers would drop dead" or something like and I just went off on him. I said "hey listen *******, I dont care if you want to slowly kill yourself, but I dont want lung cancer when I'm your age so either blow the smoke some where else or blow it out of your ass, either way just get it the f%^$ away from me ok?" then a cop came over and asked what was going on. The guy explained to the cop that *I* was being rude because *I* didnt want him to smoke out side of a public building so the cop comes over to me, asks me what happen, I explained (and of course the guy was giving his own audio commentary even though when he was blatantly lieing to a cop and I was silent) what was happening. Since there were 2 different storyes the cop asked a couple of people in line who of course sided with me in saying I was being polite in asking him to blow the smoke else where. That pissed the guy off more and he started screaming at the cop.. Well the cop took about 5 minutes of it and arrested him for disturbing the peace.

Spectre
    I'm going to start an anti-fatass lobby. If you're more than 20% overweight I'm going to make gagging noises when I see you jam a doughnut in your mouth. (like the annoying smartass cough non-smokers make whenever they walk near smokers.....the smoke may be totally going the other direction...but these jerks always have to do the cough. :x :evil: )

I'm going to call all fat people disgusting because their bad habit of eating junkfood is wrecking their bodies and making my world a more horrrible place to live in because I have to look at them. I'm going to ALWAYS remind them that their habit is going to make their little heart explode one day just when their chubby little fingers pick up that next HO-HO. Fat / ugly people are violating my right to live in a pleasent world, thus should be segregated from us normal, thin, attractive people.

I propose a "Fat only" section at restraunts or even go as far as having a ban on fat people in the first place.

NOW...how's that sound???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah but fat people eating badly does not effect your rights to live and be happy where some guy who is blowing smoke in my face is.

Page 1 of 13 12345678910 11 ... LastLast