Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blair to meet with mass protests in the UK

What do the Americans here feel about the fact that there is a massive and passionate anti-bush campaign here? When he visits this week there will be large demonstrations in London and other major cities.

UK politicians bash on about our 'special relationship' with the USA and that the UK is the EU's link to the US and have done for decades (Thatcher loved Raegan, Blair is called "Bush's poodle"). However, if the US administration doesn't lift its steel tariffs as the WTO has ordered, the EU is very likely to retaliate by slapping tariffs on the major industries in swing states (eg florida) to hurt the Republicans. This will lead to a counterproductive trade war.

Is this reported in US media?
    Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

www.MakePovertyHistory.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Blair to meet with mass protests in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute
    Is this reported in US media?
    Are you kidding? Our media hates President Bush, of course it's being reported!

Honestly, the whole steel tariff thing doesn't concern me too much. If we give in to the WTO, then people like eternal that live in steel country will raise hell about Bush ruining the economy because they see the mills closing down. If we exert our sovereignity against the WTO, then people affected by the EU's tariffs will raise hell about Bush ruining the economy.

Myself, I always enjoy frustrating international organizations, so I guess I'd keep the steel tariffs for now.

There is not government or organization more important to Americans than the US Gov't. The UN, WHO, WTO, UNICEF, EU, OPEC, CRUD, SPEW and any other you can think of, are not, and never will be in a position of power over the United States. I don't know why this one world government attitude is catching on, but I don't think it's a good thing...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing is, the WTO not being consistently fair in its rulings. For example, Japan manipulates its currency rate in order to keep its exports cheaper than domestics. Yet I don't see the WTO coming down on the Japanese for doing this. :?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our media hates President Bush
    lol... *coughfoxnewscough*coughamradiocough**coughtimruss ertcough*

ummm.. yeah... that's why we're not getting to the bottom of 9-11, cuz the press is asking the tough questions...

The british press is damn near the last bastion of "free" press left..

I wish the British would stand up even more to resident pinhead. Why does he get to block streets? You go to visit a country and make demands about how they should "secure" themselves for you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually it isn't "pinhead" as you refer to him as that is requiring that streets be blocked off for a visit, it is the secret service that is requesting them to do so. The Secret Service has a tendacy to push for tighter security (it is their job to protect him from the lunatics that try to kill the sitting President).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol... you really think the SS has that kind of leeway in the affairs of another independant nation? Has nothin to do with dubya right? (musta been the clintons huh?)

Come on now.... You really think that UK protesters are all out to kill him? Even the pope has more lenient security measures, and he travels in a bulletproof bubble.

And you're right, pinhead is too dim to put this together, was prolly Rove

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fr1j0l3
    lol... you really think the SS has that kind of leeway in the affairs of another independant nation? Has nothin to do with dubya right? (musta been the clintons huh?)
    Again you are missing my point. The President has no say in security arrangements. When it comes to security of the President, the Secret Service lays down the law, be it for Bill Clinton or George Bush.

And yes, the SS has alot of power when it comes to protection of the President on foreign nations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1>No say
    2>SS has international power

Where might I find proof?

Spectre
    I HATE BUSH!!! I HATE BUSH!!! WHAAA WHAA WHAA

HE'S RUINING EVERYTHING...TRASHING THE ECONOMY....IS A RACIST butthole AND HATES KIDS AND PUPPIES TOO!!!!!

He's coming to kill you're children while they sleep and put poison on your toothbrush.

He...alone...single handedly is wrecking the world for his FAT / RICH / WHITE MINIONS!!!!!!

I HATE BUSH...HE'S UGLY!!!

I HATE BUSH...HE'S TOTALLY EVIL AND MUST BE STOPPED AT ALL COSTS!!!! IF WE DON'T STOP HIM THE VERY NATURE OF SPACE AND TIME WILL COLLAPSE AS WE KNOW IT!!!!

aaaarrrgghhhgghhhhhhHHHHGHGHGHAHAGHAHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL!!!! evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL!!!! evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL!!!! evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL!!!! evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL!!!! evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL!!!! evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL!!!! evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL!!!! evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL!!!! evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL!!!! evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL!!!! evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL!!!! evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL!!!! evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL!!!! evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL!!!! evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL!!!! evil EVIL!!!! evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL!!!! evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL!!!! evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL!!!! evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL!!!! evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL!!!! evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL!!!! evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL!!!! evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL!!!! evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL evil EVIL!!!!

BUSH MUST DIE!!!!! BUSH MUST FREAKING DIE LIKE THE WHITE RACIST FAT RICH INFEDEL PIGMAN HE IS!!!!! aRGHHHHH !!! KILL BUSH...kill BUSH!!!

kIll hiM nOw !!!!!!!!!

Give me a freaking break you WHINERS!!!! Bush is a great leader and unfortunatly has to endure the BULLcrap YOU people constantly spew, just because you don't have ______ ( <fill in blank).

Get the hell over it.

-Spectre

edited for inappropriate language. Almost deleted the entire post because of the entire tone... Please be a bit less, um, antagonistic in your posts, Sean. Thanks! And have a golly gee gosh good day!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give me a freaking break you WHINERS!!!! Bush is a great leader
    lol... yeah.. great leaders are hated by a world, not looked up to.

Welcome to bizarro-world.

Where great leaders cannot speak complete sentances in their own language.

Thanks for the insightful commentary.

Spectre
    The world by and large is populated by fearful sheep, that lack either the foresight or resolve to commit to difficult yet necessary path.

Here's a small paper I drafted on public opinion:

Summarized in our text, Political Socialization is the process by which we, as children learn and absorb our values that by large influence our political leanings later in life. Children brought up in a working class family, or one with a religious bent will tend to be characterized as conservatives. This mainly is due to the fact that the American working man has a long history of fierce independence coupled with a strong faith in God. On the other hand, those children brought up in an “educated” household, one in which the parents were educated in more liberal institutions will have a certain faith in the government and governmental solutions. These children will tend to be more liberal upon reaching adulthood.

The above characterizations are generalized at best and typically pertain to the majority ethnic group in this nation; Caucasians of European descent. In minority groups such as the African – American and Hispanic populations, the above summarizations are usually opposite, as during their struggle for civil liberties they found the Federal Government to be their most important ally instead of a foe. Different as these groups may be, one salient truth holds firm: An individuals opinions on future political issues is largely determined by the type of Socialization they receive as a child / young adult.

Later in life, an individuals Political Socialization begins to shape their beliefs, and once you have a societal group with firm convictions the result will be Public opinion. As far as the American Political System is concerned, Public Opinion is a double-edged sword. Politicians always try to be well liked and respected, and in doing so pay a great deal of attention to Public Opinion on the most pressing issues of the day. The reason Public Opinion (usually in the form of poll numbers) is so valuable, is because it usually is a good indicator of the “pulse” of the people on these issues. Once armed with information telling them which group supports what policies, politicians can then tailor their approach to appeal to the largest group and thus get elected / re-elected.

There are failings to public opinion though, and it was put best by one of our founding fathers, Benjamin Franklin: “Men are intelligent, people however, are fools.” The true meaning of that quote rings just as true today as it did in the 18th Century. As on certain issues the mass majority of the American people are either ignorant of the nature of a problem, or…due to their Political Socialization are going to side with those that most reflect their selfish interests, regardless of whether it’s truly the right thing or not for our nation. Thus the politicians still need to make decisions on their own, sometimes against popular “Public Opinion” as only they (higher government) know the true nature of the problem and just what needs to be done to fix it. I suppose it’s political experience that would tell one when to cater to the whims of the public and when to lead them down a potentially unpopular, yet necessary course of action. Those in our government who make that decision on a daily basis are our true leaders, and deserve our respect.

Sean M. Kaldahl – Intro Political Science – DB3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fr1j0l3
    1>No say
    2>SS has international power

Where might I find proof?
    I think I might have used too strong of a word. Instead of power, I should have said influence, which is an indirect power in itself.

The SS could request that the host country provide a certain level of security. If the host country doesn't provide that security, the SS could threaten to postpone or cancel the trip for "security reasons." This would be an embarressment to the host country so they would be more willing to go the extra mile to provide extra security.

I will see if I can find some online proof of this but I remember reading this in print awhile back.

Besides which, this is really a moot point because it was never established that Bush or the Americans requested the various security plans being implimented in Britan. For all we know, the British themselves could have implimented these security measures based on what they believe might happened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do the Americans here feel about the fact that there is a massive and passionate anti-bush campaign here?
    Why, there's a massive and passionate anti-bush campaign in the states too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine you can extend that for the most part to the world entire.
    I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Spectre
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentley
    I imagine you can extend that for the most part to the world entire.
    Because people are stupid. No one takes the time to pull their heads out of their asses anymore these days...do they???

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast