Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: seat belt laws

I am lost, if you know where I am then please feel free to tell me.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seat belt laws

What do you guys think about the seat belts laws in this country?

Think they need to be more strict or dont care either way?

Whats your opinion on states forcing its citizens to wear seat belts at all times or get fined?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm torn. I like seat belt laws, as they've likely convinced many to wear them who wouldn't otherwise, and may have thus saved some lives. I always wear my belt, and those who ride with me buckle up or walk. I however, don't like motorcycle helmet laws; those above 18 should have the right to go without if they choose. I'd still probably wear mine most of the time, but I'm cutting corners as it is by using a (DOT-approved) half-helmet. You can't beat the feeling of the wind on your face while roaring around town.

Contradictory statements from me? Yeah, to a degree, but here's the tie-in. If you forgo either safety device, and are injured due to another driver/operator, you should lose some of your ability to seek compensation for injuries. You, after all, skimped on reasonable safety precautions. I doubt that such a law would ever pass, or if it did, doubt that it would work well when tried. Therefore, I take the "safety for all" stance, and accept belt and helmet laws. As long as we continue to sue the crap out of each other, there has to be some measure of protection for those who caused the accident. If you're crippled because you weren't buckled in, and would have sustained only bruises if you were restrained, you should be SOL, and there's fighting room for that end under a mandatory-restraint law.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Think you guys would benefit form my latest School Photoshop Project: (Poster Campaign)

But then if you want somebody else to wipe your butt for you and spoon feed you your baby food go ahead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok in some cases a helmet will save your life but in other cases the momentum and the weight of the helmet will snap your neck !
    The pro's and con's of wearing one are about even but about the only ways to wreck a bike if you have had one for a while is loss of traction,blow out, or some idiot in a vehicle cutting you off or pulling out in front of you. which will cause you from 60 to zero snapping your neck with a helmet plus they all restrict your hearing a vision !

Me I will stick to being able to see and hear whats going on around me !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'd rather be dead that only have half a head cause the other half got rubbed off on the pavement

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wearing a seatbelt is second-nature for me. I've always worn one, and always will. If you're in my car, you'll have one on or you won't be driving with me. *shrug*

I have no issue with the law whatsoever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seat belt laws, heh.

Well, all I can say, is that my a couple of my friends, whom are both girls actualy, when ever i get in the car with them, or one of them, weather it's their car or mine, I'm forced to wear my seat belt =P. It's no big deal, most of the time i just forgot or somthing. I don't see the problem with wearing one, or not wearing one, so I don't complain. seems girls are alot more strict about it though then most guys. I just found that a little funny.

I am lost, if you know where I am then please feel free to tell me.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed how no body has commented on my last question yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarath
    Why does my brain have to go in a radioactive bucket if I don't wear a helmet?
    Umm, that's not a symbol for radioactivity, that's the international symbol for a biohazard, which includes anything with human bodily fluids in or on it...

And I'm leaning in the same direction as verbose on this one... If King Dave were in charge, the laws would state that seatbelts and helmets are optional, but the state will not pay any medical expenses if you're not wearing them. Nor would you have any right to sue anyone for damages, your insurance must cover EVERYTHING. A high price to pay for the wind in your hair, indeed, but this litigous society of ours has forced this...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YOUR BRAIN IS RADIOACTIVEZORZ!!!!!

(Biohazardous =P)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I'll bite at your last question Ender.

In Seattle we have something called "Click it or Ticket" (sic). This is basically a week or so every now and again where the cops are told to spicifically watch for motorists not wearing their seatbelts. They are allowed to pull them over for no other reason than the lack of having a seatbelt fastened.

Although I believe that wearing a seatbelt is a smart idea and that everyone should do so, I don't think the state has the right or responsibility to make traffic stops to enforce it.

Sure, not wearing your seatbelt is unsafe, but there are plenty of other common activities that are unsafe that noone can be fined for. How about a law against having unprotected sex? Maybe ban freeclimbing? Crossing the street without reflective clothing? And don't give me the taxpayer pays for the injury argument unless you agree with the above postulates and all their logical cousins. The taxpayer pays for the care of anyone hurt engaging in any of those activities too.

The state is supposed to enforce laws that are in keeping with the constitution. That is, laws that protect the infringement of one persons rights by another. Laws are not required protect me from myself. (And yeah, you can extend my position to suicide too.)

Most of the time my opinions have a pretty liberal slant, but I hate it when the government passes these coddling, patronizing, hand-holding laws when information and education would serve better.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey! I have that helmet. It's the Shoei Syncrotec. Except it's black with a smoke sheild.

Personally. I'm all for wearing seatbelts. People who don't wear seatbelts cost us more money in insurance and health care. If they don't wear their seatbelts they are potentially raising YOUR premiums.

Same with helmets. I don't like riding without one, even though in my state the operator of a motorcycle is not required to. Passengers in Rhode Island are always required to wear a helmet.

While I like the concept of air rushing by and the open breeze. I like the concept of keeping my own facilities and not needing assistance to pee. I also like eating solid food.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

43452045524748454146204742204754202d204642424121

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality
    And I'm leaning in the same direction as verbose on this one... If King Dave were in charge, the laws would state that seatbelts and helmets are optional, but the state will not pay any medical expenses if you're not wearing them. Nor would you have any right to sue anyone for damages, your insurance must cover EVERYTHING. A high price to pay for the wind in your hair, indeed, but this litigous society of ours has forced this...
    I thought it was Queen Dave :P

I agree with Queen Dave on this one. Though you do realize this would never happen. People want the freedom of doing whatever they want to do, but don't want to face consequences for their actions. Society has gone downhill far too long for any significant changes in our lifetimes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudshark
    Sure, not wearing your seatbelt is unsafe, but there are plenty of other common activities that are unsafe that noone can be fined for. How about a law against having unprotected sex? Maybe ban freeclimbing? Crossing the street without reflective clothing? And don't give me the taxpayer pays for the injury argument unless you agree with the above postulates and all their logical cousins. The taxpayer pays for the care of anyone hurt engaging in any of those activities too.
    Hmmm, good point. I know that a few years back in Southern California, some emergency response agencies tried to bill a lost backpacker for the cost of rescuing him. The local outcry quickly changed their tune: people were afraid that nobody would call for emergency assistance anymore. Me? I'm pretty cold hearted when it comes to thinning the gene pool. The more fools that kill themselves from doing stupid things, the better, IMO. 'Course, on the other hand, accidents happen to everyone...

Oh, and Wolf? Please try to keep my fantasies and your fantasies seperate...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality
    Oh, and Wolf? Please try to keep my fantasies and your fantasies seperate...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast