Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reserved Slot Regulars: a new approach to "public"

When you purchase a membership with Tactical Gamer, you get priority access to our public NS server. In the past, there have been only two types of players: members and public players. This too often results in evenings when our full NS server has several public players playing while non-member regulars wait in line to join the server. Only the finest of these public players is TG material, and enough of the other public players on the server makes it difficult to differentiate our public server from any other public server. Quality attracts quality.

In an effort to retain the frequent presense of "quality" NS players, we are changing the way reserved slots work on our public NS server. Effective immediately, there will be three types of players: members, reserved slot regulars, and public players.

Reserved slot regulars will now enjoy the same reserved slot access to the server that members have always enjoyed.
    These reserved slot regulars will not have access to any of the commands that require membership (e.g. amx_tagline, amx_votekick, etc). Members will retain their reserved slot access and will continue to kick public players when they join a full server. However, if the server is full only of members and reserved slot regulars, members will kick reserved slot regulars to successfully join the full server. When attempting to connect, members will not kick other members, and reserved slot regulars will not kick members or other reserved slot regulars.

If you are a public player who wishes to be granted a reserved slot, you must be "endorsed" by reserved slot regulars or members who play regularly on our server. A good number of endorsements to shoot for is around three (3), but this isn't a hard rule. The point is to show by example your ability to work with your team and play the game like an adult. If you follow this playstyle to the likings of the other players, you're likely to find yourself with a reserved slot soon enough. Players looking to endorse another player should contact any NS admin (preferably in the forums, via a PM) with the player name and WONID (in the future, STEAMID) of the player they're endorsing for reserved slot access.

Reserved slots will be granted to non-members at the final discretion of the NS admins. Reserved slots can be revoked from any non-member at any time without warning or reason. The fact that you're given one as a non-member is not guarantee that you will keep it. That having been said, the point is to keep players, not send them away. So to lose a reserved slot you've been given as a result of an endorsement, you'd probably have to play inappropriately quite regularly.

The goal in this effort is to retain quality players on our server. If you already have a reserved slot, please inform players new to our server who understand and appreciate our way of playing the game that you and other regulars can help them get a reserved slot on our server if they enjoy it and want to stay.

This is a new idea that is being tested. The AMX plugin that allows it is new and has only been tested (albeit successfully) a limited amount. Any feedback regarding this idea (or its implementation) is welcomed, either in this thread or privately.

Wyzcrak

[edit: may 2004]
    This program has been very popular, and it has been wonderfully successful at attracting quality players to our public server. There was a time when it was difficult to find enough players to have even a few decent NS games on our server. Thanks to the frequency of quality players at TG, we now have people waiting in line nightly to join our full server.

In an effort to continue the constant and subtle encouragement toward TG memberships among our NS players, I've decided to impose a moderate time restriction on RSR priviledges.

Effective immediately, RSR priviledges will be modified to last only one month, after which point the player may ask for a one-month RSR renewal (which will most likely be given to him). To receive the RSR renewal (the second month), the player must simply contact an admin directly and does not require additional or repeated endorsements. After the renewal has passed, that player is no longer eligible for further RSR priviledges. Tactical Gamer Supporting Membership becomes the only way to join a full server.

Players with RSR priviledges prior to May 2004 will be impacted by this change, with May 2004 acting as their first RSR month.
    [/edit]
    Last edited by Wyzcrak; 05-01-2004 at 05:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can actually see peoples mouths watering... :shock:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taking the persepective of John Pubbie, this could backfire. Say I'm introduced to TG, and stop by for a few games to try it out. It's a busy night, and the server fills up, making for those great 7v7 games. Problem is, I get kicked by a regular-slot-use after a few rounds. Can't get back on the server. I'm a patient man though, and I come back the next evening, only to have the same thing happen. I decide to return when the server isn't so busy, but find that 4v4 games at TG don't seem much different than 4v4's on many other pub servers, servers where I don't have to worry about getting randomly booted when full.

I never got a chance to experience real TG NS gameplay, and now I'm bitter towards the server because I kept getting the boot.

Obviously, this scenario depends on the server filling up with regulars, causing most of the pubbies to be dropped. Only time will tell if that will become a problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    better jonie pubbie being unable to play than someone we know is a TG style player.

If the server is that full of TG players then we have achieved our goal. If there are lots more members as a result, then we might be able to justify a 2nd sever to the Powers That Be.
    Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

www.MakePovertyHistory.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the concept and i think it is what we need. but lets think. the server only holds 15 people. count the number of regs and memebers that join or want to join every night. there are more the than 15. so, it could end up happening that the server is full of regulars and members everynight. this means no pubbies and no pubbies means no growth. growth is what we want is it not. we could think of a way around this though. such as one or 2 public slots that can't be kicked. this would mean there can be at most 1 or 2 pubs. or you could allow us to sponser players from outside the server. this way it becomes like a invitation. (Disclaimer: these ideas are posible solutions to a problem that could come up. they are not the only solutions and more are welcome)

verbose is right, The COFR server did this. i tried to play there often but each time i was booted and eventualy lost interest. I love the idea but we sould see if there still are even pubbies after this new system.

wintermute is also right i would rather play with the regs than the pubs. but would also like to see the community grow.

thats my 2 cents

Emanon
    First off, hold any thoughts of a 2nd server.

The server will be full of TG people at times. I rarely see this anyhow maybe once a week. This plan will work well. We are not going to give these things out like cookies or pie. The admins are going to be careful and very selectful.

We all want GGs and this is what this new system will give us, pure and simple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    remember guys the slots aren't going to be given away like food samplers at walbaums...

paying members, and reserve slot regs when they get them have to request for a certian somebody to recieve a slot...

then the admins review this players team play, contribution to the server, and respect for the server and people who play there and how often they play here...

im not worried though
    billybob <------- Paying Member

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really prefer that posts which halt conversation on a topic be a rarity. This is a topic that needs to be discussed. None of us is so busy that we can't afford to discuss something just because of the possibility that it won't become an issue.

Yellow, I can make two slots be unkickable by incoming reserved slot regulars, but I cannot make them unkickable by incoming paying members. Overall, good idea (one I had, too). I'm still not sure (and I know you're not either) if it's called for yet. But it's certainly an option for the future if we decide it's necessary.

To be honest, I had envisioned a player's performance on OUR server to be what she was evaluated on, but if several players who, like Yellow, have been around for a while come with an endorsement of a player they found on another server and have invited to the TG server, I don't see the harm in that. But please don't do this for just any player (that had to be said; I don't see it as a risk).

Wyzcrak
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So does this mean I as a non member (although a regular for quite sometime) can possibly get a reserved slot even if I remain a non paying member? (its still new years in my head)

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This means that any non-member player that is referred by the players with reserved slots can be given a reserved slot.

Wyzcrak
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

I am lost, if you know where I am then please feel free to tell me.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There isnt too many paying members anyway are there? So the server being filled up with just regs and paying shouldnt be a problem (unless there are more paying members then I think there is).

I just want somebody to define "play regularly on our server". Define "regularly".

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you know what reguarly means. What I think you're asking for is how long someone has to play on our server before the endorsement carries weight. There isn't really a set time. The point is that you've played with our regulars enough that they are prepared to endorse you. While I suppose that it's possible for one evening to be enough, I would think that more time spent playing with a new player (even if they're not new to TG) would be necessary.

The point is to understand well that the player you're endorsing is a very good fit for our server. This understanding should come from playing Natural Selection with them, preferably amidst our regulars (the people they'll be playing with when they have their reserved slot).

Wyzcrak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well.. for a few days now i've tried to play ns when the good people are on (like a 6v6 or 7v7) and i havent been able to get in :\
    BUT it's your choice, and i'm sure your gonna choose wisely

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regular: Someone who frequents the server, often on a daily basis. They play with, and tend to know most of the other players on the server. They are fun to play with. Generally smart. Have teamwork skills.
    I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah yes, a TG:NS scholarship program to needy and deserving players that roxorz teh servoxz.

I like this because I know that the people making the descision play on the server and have to put up with the people they give access to. I trust those individuals to make great descisions.

injoy and have more pie.
    --
    CaveDog
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast