Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taiwan (Politics)

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapcf/east/12/06/taiwan.vote/index.html

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapcf/east/12/08/china.chinoy/index.html

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapcf/east/12/04/china.taiwan.ap/index.html

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapcf/east/12/08/china.us/index.html

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapcf/east/12/07/china.bush/index.html

In an interview with the Chinese media on the eve of Wen's visit, Chinese Ambassador to the U.S. Yang Jiechi called on Washington to "handle the Taiwan issue in a cautious, adequate way."

"Stop selling advanced weapons to Taiwan or raise the level of U.S.-Taiwan relations," Yang said. "Don't send wrong signals to 'Taiwan separatist' forces."
    The Chinese premier will likely also pledge his nation's support on other fronts of Washington's global war on terrorism.
    Yeah what a bargain, continue to allow a bully nation like China threaten a nation seeking indepence and democracy. In exchange, they will help fight the war on terrorism :? isn't that an oxymoron? In a sense they could be consider terrorists with the way they are treating Taiwan.

Personally, I think Bush should just flip off Wen and tell him the US will see him in hell if China tries to force Taiwan back.

Probably a good thing I am not a diplomat for the US

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    China is probably the only country in the world that could kick our country's ass.... Taiwan is a delicate issue. We need China to remain "friendly" with us to take care of problems like their bastard step-child N. Korea. At the same time, we can't allow a free nation such as Free China to be destroyed by Red China.

I'm glad I'm not a diplomat that has to deal with this issue, either... It's very complicated.

Spectre
    I love the Taiwanese. They will FIERCELY fight China to the death if those bastards EVER thought about annexing Taiwan. Taiwan is the Republic of China, a free nation founded by our staunch WWII ally Chang Kai Shek.

LONG LIVE A FREE TAIWAN!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.scrappleface.com/MT/archives/001398.html

http://www.scrappleface.com/MT/archives/001407.html

:P

Spectre
    Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality
    China is probably the only country in the world that could kick our country's ass.... Taiwan is a delicate issue. We need China to remain "friendly" with us to take care of problems like their bastard step-child N. Korea. At the same time, we can't allow a free nation such as Free China to be destroyed by Red China.

I'm glad I'm not a diplomat that has to deal with this issue, either... It's very complicated.
    Be sure to capitalize "could" there bro...

Spectre
    The Chinese have ALOT of people, however they can't even come close to matching us in airpower or ground units...not even to mention their naval capabilities (negligable).

Suffice to say, we supply Taiwan with just about ALL of their weapons needs, this is added to the fact that as soon as the first shot rang out from China's direction, the U.S. 7th fleet will be steaming into the south China sea. We signed a mutual proctection pact with Taiwan in the 1970's and we are stunch allies. If ANY administration EVER weakend that relationship for the sake of good trade with the last evil empire on earth, I swear to God it would be a shameful day for the United States.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah what a bargain, continue to allow a bully nation like China (Israel, Russia, the UK, India and many more) threaten a nation seeking indepence and democracy. In exchange, they will help fight the war on terrorism isn't that an oxymoron? In a sense they could be consider terrorists with the way they are treating Taiwan (Palestine, Chechnya, Ireland, Kashmir etc.).
    Those were just off the top of my head. I have yet to see an ethical foreign policy come from any government. They have no incentive to be ethical. This is why we need some kind of global government.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute
    Yeah what a bargain, continue to allow a bully nation like China (Israel, Russia, the UK, India and many more) threaten a nation seeking indepence and democracy. In exchange, they will help fight the war on terrorism isn't that an oxymoron? In a sense they could be consider terrorists with the way they are treating Taiwan (Palestine, Chechnya, Ireland, Kashmir etc.).
    Those were just off the top of my head. I have yet to see an ethical foreign policy come from any government. They have no incentive to be ethical. This is why we need some kind of global government.
    A global government? God no, based on what? Whose ethnics are you going to base this global government on? I don't want to be part of a global government that allows certain things to happen and I am sure other religions are the same way (take Muslims for instance). A global government is going to cause more problems than solutions, in my humble opinion.

I also should point out that there are differences between Taiwan/China situation compared to those you listed.

For example, Taiwan doesn't perform acts of terrorism against China. They don't send bombers into china to kill civilians or anything like that. The Palestians, the Irish, and the people in Kashmir do. Taiwan justs wants to live the way they want to, to allow people to freely choose who represent them. They don't threaten China with force (through military or terrorism) and they don't threaten to change China's inner government or their economy.

However, China feels Taiwan is a threat because they are former chinese that have a form of government that is significantly different from China's. The ruling elite of China are not elected by the people, they are elected to office by the very people in office. They don't view themselves as working for the people, the view the people as peasants, peasants working for the ruling elite. The communist party fears that if Taiwan continues to exist the way it does, then other provinces in China might rebel against the unjust government.

Spectre
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie
    Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute
    A global government? God no, based on what? Whose ethnics are you going to base this global government on? I don't want to be part of a global government that allows certain things to happen and I am sure other religions are the same way (take Muslims for instance). A global government is going to cause more problems than solutions, in my humble opinion.

I also should point out that there are differences between Taiwan/China situation compared to those you listed.

For example, Taiwan doesn't perform acts of terrorism against China. They don't send bombers into china to kill civilians or anything like that. The Palestians, the Irish, and the people in Kashmir do. Taiwan justs wants to live the way they want to, to allow people to freely choose who represent them. They don't threaten China with force (through military or terrorism) and they don't threaten to change China's inner government or their economy.

However, China feels Taiwan is a threat because they are former chinese that have a form of government that is significantly different from China's. The ruling elite of China are not elected by the people, they are elected to office by the very people in office. They don't view themselves as working for the people, the view the people as peasants, peasants working for the ruling elite. The communist party fears that if Taiwan continues to exist the way it does, then other provinces in China might rebel against the unjust government.
    Precisely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapcf/east/12/10/taiwan.us.china/index.html

Spectre
    Sounds like we're trying to "Please all of the people all of the time."

Taiwan deserves our loyalty, not only that but it is and HAS been a widely held notion that the next major world war would be over the Chinese annexation of Taiwan. Since we are commited to defend Taiwan no matter what, I suppose we're stuck walking the tightrope. Ensuring they stay free from China but making sure they don't declare independance as well.

I say a strong US president would simply tell the Chinese to go fu<k themselves and tell them we recognize Taiwan as a free and soverign nation and if they want to try to take it back it would most certainly lead to a major conflict. Lay it out on the table and make them blink.

Either way, American, Taiwanese and Chinese blood will be spilt in the South China sea within 15 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre
    Sounds like we're trying to "Please all of the people all of the time.".
    Is that not the point of politics Mr Hollywoo?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre
    I say a strong US president would simply tell the Chinese to go fu<k themselves. Lay it out on the table and make them blink.

Either way, American, Taiwanese and Chinese blood will be spilt in the South China sea within 15 years.
    You're right, but the first point precludes the second. Do you want a strong president that tells everyone he disagrees with to 'go fornicate' or would you rather diplomatic solutions were sought?

I'm Taiwanese and I'm DEFINITELY against the reunion with China communist.

The United States is against our independence?!?
    wtf!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightfire
    The United States is against our independence?!?
    wtf!!!!!!
    :?:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast