Results 1 to 5 of 5
12-09-2003, 03:56 AM #1
The art of vent seiging. or how to waste tons of res.
Seiging from the vents was, is, and most likely always will be a fringe alternative method of hive destruction. It's probably the least viable strategy no matter where you are in the game, but it's tons of fun (for the marines, anyway) when it's actually pulled off. Tycho and I did some vent experiments way back in 1.4, and sadly, with 2.0, vent seiging is even more difficult, but still definitely possible with enough skill and teamwork. With seige range getting cut all the time, though, i don't know whether the old "l33t" locations still exist.
Well anyway, the way vent seiging works is:
-distract aliens at alternate location, but not with large scale combat, so not too many aliens die.
- send a marine with jetpack secretly into alien territory, deep into their vents (the sneakier way is to have multiple marines boost one into a vent, needs uber teamwork though)
- mine up both entrances
- turret factory placement is KEY: place it where vertical tunnels are, that way they won't sink.
- seige placement is a lot more lax, seiges will stay everywhere.
- optional armory, but make sure the marine doesn't get stuck on one side of the vent.
- proceed with the vent mayhem the armory is there to replenish mines....
problems with this strat in 2.0:
- seige ranges are small.... tfac ranges are small...
- mines are a little less effective, but careful placement should still make them viable.
- absolutely no way to save res if the ploy is detected early
- marines have to be very skilled...
- utterly stopped by scent of fear. if there are sensories, no more sneaky tactics for you
pros of this strat:
- two pronged marine attack: only 1 or 2 marines required to execute the vent seige, the rest can clean up the map or set up camp in another area
- deeply rewarding
- surprising, catch aliens off guard.
Now here's a mini-guide on maps
- Fusion is EASILY vent-seiged, obvious, but because it is obvious, it's difficult to pull off.
- satcom used to be vent-seigable from the entrance near acidic(premise of relocation to acidic), not sure if 2.0 tfac/seiges can reach...
- waste: doable, but difficult. the tfac has to be right where the tunnel from fusion, reactor room hallway, and waste meet, and it has to be in the little trench. no other place is deep enough.
- cargo: theoretically possible, although the exit to the vent isn't really a vent, and the seige cannon needs to be there.
- viaduct: aside from redroom (which is close enough to vent seiging), there are plenty of other vents begging to be taken advantage of.
- powersilo: uh.... no true vents nearby. sorry. the tfac would have to be in the hallway.
maint: yes yes yes, definitely possible. no one uses that vent :P
cc: definitely possible, and at the same time, ludicrously hard to keep secret.
eclipse: no vents that i know of are close.
data core: afraid not
Hera has terrible vents, except for the one from archiving to marine spawn. that one's awesome :P
i haven't really commanded a vent-seiging tactic on biodome, veil, mineshaft, or lost, so i don't know about those.
feel free to discuss how useless this strat is :P
12-09-2003, 10:08 AM #2
Nice writeup Sas!FROM THE TACTICAL GAMER PRIMER.
3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.
12-09-2003, 06:47 PM #3- Fusion is EASILY vent-seiged, obvious, but because it is obvious, it's difficult to pull off.
data core: afraid not
nice work sasu!
12-09-2003, 07:58 PM #4
Re: The art of vent seiging. or how to waste tons of res.Originally Posted by Sasuke
Originally Posted by Sasuke
I love to seige from odd places, especialy vents. I tend to leave this kind of fun for smaller games though heh.
I love gaming, mmmmmmmm
12-10-2003, 12:23 AM #5
me and nothing pulled this off... he was comm and i was lonely jetpacker....
aliens had 3 hives... its was difficult as the aliens tried to xenocide me every 2 seconds.