Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small Game Settings.

games with UNDER 10 people ie. 5v4 4v4 4v3 etc etc should have alterations like no more than 5 turrets per TF, no HMG's or Gl's, and no onos. I believe that these setting would make small games more fair and fun. Also the afk kicker needs a min amount of people for when people are afk in the server waiting for a game to start. Thoughts? opinions?
    And god said "LET THERE BE HALF-LIFE!" and so it was...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh and i forgot to mention the oddman out thing, the marines ALWAYS need the extra person especially in small games.
    And god said "LET THERE BE HALF-LIFE!" and so it was...

i also think that fades and lerks should NOT participate in a small game....including shotguns as well. keep the game as "basic" as possible

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think in small games the marines and aliens should just sit together in marine spawn and play duck duck goose...

But in all seriousness, HMG and GL should definitely be allowed... in small games aliens tend to whore OC's more, as well as have more res to fade anyway. HA should also be allowed, for the simple reason that a lone HA is easily taken down, and a small pack requires only a little bit more teamwork (and some sacrifice on behalf of some other members). I will... simply not address nightfire's changes, if he was serious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What ever happened to "gentleman's agreements?" Why can't people who get online decide on whatever restrictions they like, instead of imposing arbitrary rules?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now, what can we do about large games? 8 on 8 is no more balanced than 5 on 5, except in the reverse direction.
    FROM THE TACTICAL GAMER PRIMER.
    3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'd just like to say i hate being up early...

and yes, rampage is correct... if the commander in a small game has like 30 turrets in a room with 15 tfacs, then you have every right to go onos and destroy them as opposed to running around as a gimp fade... however if the marine are just playing with their.... shotguns in base, then all you really need to do is maybe lerk 'em to death, with some fade action :P

and for 8v8... well..::shrug:: it could go either way depending on the pubs that fill up the other slots... there are skulks that destroy all attempts at aiming by the marines, although i have yet to learn how...

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm all for 7v7 as the maximum. :?

Regarding small games, it's either plugins or gentleman's agreements.

Wyzcrak
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempus
    Now, what can we do about large games? 8 on 8 is no more balanced than 5 on 5, except in the reverse direction.
    Recent alien victories would prove otherwise, such as last night.

However, mechanicly speaking, you're right. As of recently though I've seen more alien victories in the bigger games.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aliens can win any game.

Ok, that's out of the way.

Now, all things being equal, do the aliens have a 50/50 shot on winning a 8v8 game? No way. They are out-spawned, out-resourced, and out-numbered when forces are concentrated. There is no way that the aliens can keep their res nodes alive with groups of 4+ marines running around destroying them all. There is no way that the aliens can replace the res nodes that are destroyed because they are getting a pathetic amount of res per tick due to their large numbers. And there is no way that the poor onos (should the aliens miraculously ever be able to afford one) can survive under the concentrated firepower of 4+ marines.

8v8 games are nothing more than chaotic frag-fests that greatly favor the marines, and I have already gotten to the point where I will avoid the server if there are that many players on.
    FROM THE TACTICAL GAMER PRIMER.
    3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, and there's no way for aliens to destroy marine rescources...

And there's no way for the aliens to inteligently spend their rescoures.

There's no way aliens can't concentrate their forces either.

There's no way that an onos can't use stomp to control 4+ marines while other aliens bite them, cus goodness knows i've never done that before.

There's ways, you just don't see them, and there for choose not to play on our server when the numbers get to be 8v8 and should you keep doing that, you'll never see them. All it takes is a little inteligence, and for god sakes, everyone knows you have what it takes tempus. You're just so stuck on the negitive.

An onos should never die if he does what he's supose to do correctly. He's supose to push on a front, not make his own front. If he pushes outward from a front on the aliens beehalf, there's no way for the marines to suround him and kill him. because that's the ONLY way he's going to be killed. If you charge at him down a hallway with all your hmg's and heavy armor, he can stomp the entire team and the aliens at his back can run up and bite them as they stand there helplessly. All your team needs is one decent onos and the marines day can be wreked. Billybob, Polska, Emanon, Bentley, Myself to an extent, and quite a few other's who freqent our server but are not TG members make great onoses and rerely die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NothingMore.
    Yeah, and there's no way for aliens to destroy marine rescources...

And there's no way for the aliens to inteligently spend their rescoures.

There's no way aliens can't concentrate their forces either.

There's no way that an onos can't use stomp to control 4+ marines while other aliens bite them, cus goodness knows i've never done that before.
    Har-de Har Har. Okay. Real funny.

Lets all just chill out a sec.... ah. Much better.

The problem is that it is very hard to do as aliens. The problem is that the res model/teamwork model doesn't scale very well.

With marines, you have to have teamwork to exist. It is that simple. With aliens, you dominate with, and survive without most of the time. People get lazy and you can't get people to talk. People rely on the "most of the time" part and get kicked in the tail. Then, refer to threads about f4-ing in the middle of the game: it is very boring and demoralizing because it takes so long and it is so un-fun.

So in closing: it is next to impossible to get a team half populated with pubbies or the more non-communicative element of our group to band together and win as aliens in a large game. Not only that, but it is hella-annoying. As marines, you can get it done because there is 1 person in charge, and everyone listens (at least a bit and if not, they know they should).

Sure it can be done, anything can be. Played with/against TR lately? That's right, we kick ass. But not because we are really that much better than anyone else on the server, but because we listen to anyone on the team. Without a dynamic like that, it is next to impossible to win as aliens on a big game.

C'mon folks this is a game, not a life-or-death couterrevolution. This is supposed to be fun, not the millitary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big games are tricky, im not sure what the magic forumula is for them. Aliens actually seem to win more games then they lose as far as I can tell in large games (although the resource model might make you think otherwise).

I have been on a great marine team, and still managed to lose to an alien team who I thought at the time didn't stand a chance. I find 8v8s a little unpredictable, not sure whether to like them for that reason or not.

As far as small games go, its hard to say what should be accepted and what shouldn't. There are times in a 4v4 when an Onos is totally acceptable I think, but others may not see it that way. Fades can only do so much, and when they are faced with 3 HAs with shotguns and dont have acid rocket. Add to that turret farms and the marines can turtle for as long as they want. There is no single set of rules which I think would make everyone happy in small games.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Emanon
    I. R. Super ONOS

Not to seem mean but I am seeing alot of complaints.

I find no problem with the game. A very talented onos cannot do much against a talented comm but annoy him by taking out his resourses. A good comm should plan for a onos attack. Fades are good early game and good late game to take out nodes. The fades are great distractions by blinking around later on in game to make way for leaping skulks.

Everything has a counter. If you see fades getting destroyed easily then you shouldnt go fade and wait for onos.

Personally I like to hover around 70 res. This way the alien team has pretty much everything they could need in a moments notice. Fade,Hive,upgrades,Onos within a min or so.

I find the same thing happen over and over. Defence chanbers first, who uses defence as a skulk? I almost never do, personally i would rather get the second hive going with 1 movement at the original so we can protect the new hive easily.

Comms, have become as predicatable as ever besides when they relocate.

Only thing I find that has a problem now is the Public Players that dont listen or dont understand simple concepts! They leave as soon as they feel like they are going to lose, dont communicate, dont listen, and are a pain in the ass. Dont know the solution, Im ready to start banning them period, no questions asked. They dont deserve to comeback anyhow. E-man is sick of being nice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think imposing restrictions just make things worse... 3.0 is coming out soon hopefully, and I think combat will be a good alternative to having restrictions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast