Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Thread: 7vs7

Emanon

7vs7

This is your final chance to vote on the server, Admins have discussed it for a long time. We donít need long explanations for why or why not, this is a simple yes no. Please refer to THIS thread for thoughts/discussion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. 8vs8 is fine.
    I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentley
    No. 8vs8 is fine.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The game is made for 6v6. The further you stray from that number in either direction, the less balanced it is. In the NS.org forums, the consensus is that 7v7 is the largest the game should ever get. Marines have too much of an advantage in 8v8, and when we are playing that way, we are not playing the game the way it was meant to be played.
    FROM THE TACTICAL GAMER PRIMER.
    3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Bebhead
    bah i wish i could have voted after i saw what tempus wrote, but i guess thats my fault

Emanon
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempus
    The game is made for 6v6. The further you stray from that number in either direction, the less balanced it is. In the NS.org forums, the consensus is that 7v7 is the largest the game should ever get. Marines have too much of an advantage in 8v8, and when we are playing that way, we are not playing the game the way it was meant to be played.
    This probably should only be a paying member question so I am removing the pole because it will show more of the public players needs of open slots.

I am lost, if you know where I am then please feel free to tell me.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    either way you go people are going to bitch.. so do whatever you feel is right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackel
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentley
    No. 8vs8 is fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    doesnt matter to me it can always be changed back....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "The game is made for 6v6. The further you stray from that number in either direction, the less balanced it is. In the NS.org forums, the consensus is that 7v7 is the largest the game should ever get. Marines have too much of an advantage in 8v8, and when we are playing that way, we are not playing the game the way it was meant to be played." - Tempus

The only problem I have with going with NS.org on this is that the majority of people there have the same credentials we do on game balance. Which is to say, none. Every thread I read favors a different balance problem as what needs immediate attention to be fixed.

The only real problem with NS2.01 is the resource model. Everything else fits nicely together. A little self-sacrifice seems to take care of most of the perceived problems. Friendly fire would take care of the rest. The resource model, however, can't remain different between the sides. The game will never be balanced outside of a small range of team sizes while the resource model remains unchanged. And despite the fact that we managed to pack the server now and again, we almost never seem to have enough regulars on at the same time to reach those narrow ranges.

But that's my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel 7v7 is worth a try. I can't recall any 8v8 games that I felt were even battles, back-and-forth trading of territory. I'll try to remember to start a running log of game size vs. perceived balance so I don't have to rely on my possibly biased memory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by verbose
    I feel 7v7 is worth a try. I can't recall any 8v8 games that I felt were even battles, back-and-forth trading of territory. I'll try to remember to start a running log of game size vs. perceived balance so I don't have to rely on my possibly biased memory.
    Yes, all of the great games I remember (my idea of fun, which is you don't really know who is winning until its over) were games that started just after a lame 3v3 or 2v2 ended, after a few more showed up. I think they were around 5v5 or 6v6. I like the smaller games. I even liked 2v2 in 1.04.

I say experiment, like BB says, you can always change it back, but I think it is worth a try. Esp, since most of the people that matter have reserved slots anyway. Sorry guys.

Emanon
    So far I am loving this game seems much more fun. (when the server fills with semi compitent people)

Juggernaut
    up to you guys it dosen't matter to me as long as we have fun