Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Respawn rate of Vehicles?

To be blunt, I always have thought BF's respawn rate of vehicles is WAYYYYY too high.

This game was designed for many soldiers and few vehicles. Have you ever actually seen someone effectively use an APC?

No. Why?

Because they respawn about every 20 seconds.

And there's always an abundance of vehicles. You see, I always wanted to see a group of 6 soldiers get blown out of the sky by a fully-manned tank, the survivors being picked off by the mounted machine gun. Or a successful paratrooper drop over enemy lines. All of these things COULD happen in BF, especially in DC with all of the cool vehicles that fit lots of people.

I think we can all agree that the game is much more fun when everyone's cluttered in nice and tight in a helo, avoiding flak from the ground.

So, is there any way to decrease the respawn times of vehicles so that people actually have to make effective use of the ones they have? I think this would give this server the edge it needs to become a true tactical server.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only problem I see arising out of this are maps like docks or oil rigs where you NEED a vehicle to get to the other side of the map. Maybe we could lessen the respawn time of boats/helos?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't mind seeing the rates reduced somewhat. As it is now, I grab a tank, get killed by OSD, respawn, grab another tank, get killed by OSD, etc.

Maybe this will help people be more considerate with picking people up, too. I see too much of people spawning, running to the nearest vehicle, and jumping in and taking off, without waiting for the person who is running to catch up with it.
    FROM THE TACTICAL GAMER PRIMER.
    3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in order to do this you would need everyone to download our mod. not sure we want to do this. maybe when we get a private server, but not a the pub.

and yes i have seen APC's used correctly but never by pubs

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take it you are saying that this is not a server-side setting? That is surprising. Oh well..
    FROM THE TACTICAL GAMER PRIMER.
    3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm, good point. lemme play around with that. i've done a little modding but nothing just server side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal
    It does piss me off though to see 2-3 guys just standing at the heli pad waiting for one to spawn while the rest of the team is getting thier "twig and berries" handed to them.
    I was thinking about this... It's not always a bad thing to have your best pilot waiting for the helo or jet to spawn. Too many times I've seen someone crash our only Apache or Hind on takeoff and if you could've heard me yell.... Good pilots should be used in aircraft, not as infantry.

Then again, like you said, I've seen half the team waiting for a vehicle, and when it spawns they TK each other trying to get it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lost village map need helos to make it to the flag points and some maps spawn you half a map away from something useful so you have to have a transport or walk. Thats the ****e having to walk half the map to get somewhere.. The dock map need boats for transport to the dock. The oil rig needs helos to get to the rig...humvees for the bunker map.... If you limit the respawn on vehicles you can hinder the team needing them to get where the need to be thus handicaping that team......
    I may be old but I can still pull the trigger. Because I can't run. That makes me dangerous. :icon_lol:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OSD
    The lost village map need helos to make it to the flag points and some maps spawn you half a map away from something useful so you have to have a transport or walk. Thats the ****e having to walk half the map to get somewhere.. The dock map need boats for transport to the dock. The oil rig needs helos to get to the rig...humvees for the bunker map.... If you limit the respawn on vehicles you can hinder the team needing them to get where the need to be thus handicaping that team......

Exactly....these are the maps where this would be excused. I'm talking about maps like el alemein, where there is NEVER a shortage of vehicles.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikoLovesYou
    The only problem I see arising out of this are maps like docks or oil rigs where you NEED a vehicle to get to the other side of the map. Maybe we could lessen the respawn time of boats/helos?
    I wouldn't say the problem is everyone needs the vehicle to get around... the problem is closer to someone taking a vehicle without loading it up. On so many servers where you need boats to get somewhere, I always see the boat leaving with one, maybe two people on it while the rest of us wait for the vehicle respawn.

I'd like to see the spawns take longer to make the vehicles more important. Then the engineer class becomes more useful to repair vehicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gadget had his chopper spawn right on top of me...

DEATH BY SQUASHING ... how's that?

I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...